“Upon arriving to the hotel for a wedding in Newport we...” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #14 of 17 hotels in Middletown

416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very old hotel with smelly rooms. Some rooms renovated but others with old very noisy a/c, dirty bathroom. The beds are ok. Breakfast so so. It is overpriced hotel with one or one and a half star located far from everything. Good only to stay one night.

• Stayed July 2013
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

STAY AWAY unless you don’t mind rolling the dice on your vacation.
I decided to take my family on a weekend getaway to the beautiful state of RI. I booked our hotel through Hotwire.com. By doing so I was not told the name of the hotel until I completed my reservation.
After I booked I started reading the reviews, they were not good, but it was too late. Once we arrived to the hotel there were about 15 people in the lobby having problems checking in. The lady in front of me was given the wrong type of room, and was told they didn’t know when they would have a room for her. They told her to go out or go to the restaurant and they would call her.
When it was my turn to check-in, I had no problems. When we walked up the stairs to the second floor (there is no elevator) we noticed a strong smell of cigarette smoke and the hallways to be VERY humid and muggy. The entire hotel is nonsmoking but reeks of cigarettes. The rooms are old, out dated, and minimally clean. Only a hand full of rooms have small fridges in them (about 6).
The second night our toilet backed up, I went to the front desk foe help but they could not find anybody that had a plunger (what a shame). They moved us to a new room on the third floor which was even more out dated than the first. I decided to take a walk to the fitness center; the closer I got to it the more I noticed the smell of what seemed like human waste (totally disgusting). The night could not be over fast enough, my family and I wanted out of there.
So if you don’t mind rolling the dice on your family’s vacation go for it. I’m staying away

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Booked on a site where you don't know what hotel you are booking. Example hotels were very good; I had stayed in most. The worst part of this hotel was the continental breakfast room. Food was typical. The dining area was FILTHY!!!!! Maroon chairs were stained black. Crumbs all over the tables and floor. The buffet was serviced by staff dressed like janitors; maybe they were. The room was ok. Clean, the housekeeping staff is obviously doing what they can with old bed sheets that didn't fit the deep mattresses. My room could sleep 4 but the little table had only one chair with torn upholstery. The blackout curtain lining was torn in about 20 places. Front desk staff needs some remedial training in courtesy - they were not very friendly. Definitely not worth the price, even in peak season. No pool for my niece and nephew.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you need to ask for a ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

But 30 years later this was probably one of the poorest hotel experiences I've ever had. Let's just start at the beginning.

Upon our arrival late on Wednesday night, we were given a room with two double beds after specifically reserving a king bed. Our reservation complaint fell on deaf ears. The night staff were defensive and aggressive in refund and change policies. It was 10pm the day before the 4th of July we were simply committed in a fully booked hotel and city, so we accepted our fate of our 3-star Hotwire choice and climbed the flight of stairs to our room.

On the way we found out the lobby was the one public space of the hotel that actually had air conditioning that worked. Then the keycard didn't work when we went to the door. I unloaded my arms, left the family at the door and went back to the front desk. There was another patron complaining they had two couples and there was no way the could share a king size bed. I listened to the same host give this guy the same canned response as me while I looked on over his shoulder. I found it unbelievable that she didn't put one and one together, so I did it for her and negotiated a swap with the fellow. This seemed to shock the host and she discovered another set of rooms all together and gave us each what we wanted. While I was at the counter, three other people walked up and couldn't get into their rooms with their keycards. One insisted on the host going to her room and opening the door after her third trip from the third floor to the desk. Another flight of stairs up to retrieve luggage and family and then down to our new room and we got in on the third try of the keycard.

The room was miserable. Emerald green carpet with poorly maintained walls and doors. Holes and damage were visible everywhere. I told my wife we could consider this practice for an upcoming visit to Nicaragua. The air conditioning must have been original to the place. It blew a few degrees cooler than the outside air, but with just as much humidity. Exhausted we fell asleep in the beds we cringed to climb into (clean or not, the surroundings certainly make you question things). On awakening our first morning and hoping for the best, we thought the included breakfast might be redeeming. Unfortunately, I've eaten better out of a Circle K clearance bin. Tip: there is a Dunkin Donuts just down the block for a good cup of coffee.

The hotel's construction is very dated as well. Starting around 2am and on until 4:30am or so on our second of three nights (Thursday night of the 4th of July), our upstairs neighbors' adult calisthenics and subsequent puke fest invaded our little family's slumber. After our previous experience with the night staff, we deemed it best to suffer through in silence.

Friday morning on approaching the front desk to register not quite a complaint, but certainly an observation, I found out the partiers were scheduled to be there for the remainder of our stay. I hazarded expressing some dismay and was pleasantly surprised when the morning supervisor worked with us to make our last night and the most expensive night of the three as comfortable as possible. She even offered to approve a refund request to Hotwire. So familiar was she of the ongoing issues at the hotel and the subsequent complaints, she literally thanked me for complaining without yelling at her.

Our final night was in the uppermost room on the outermost wall of the hotel (Rm 323 if you need it) and we slept well. It had a mechanical key, so no keycard issues. The people in the room below us were our traveling companions, so we walked softly. The next morning when I went down to load the car and found a little leather case lying on my hood with remnants of marijuana sprinkled in it, I was now so accustomed to living the unexpected at the Ramada that I just casually tossed it in the bushes and went on with my exit.

After it all, the Ramada had served our purposes. It was 4th of July weekend near Newport, RI, and every other hotel in town was double the price. We had other places to be nearly every waking hour during our visit and simply needed a place to lay our heads. I don't recommend you try it unless you're up for the adventure.

Room Tip: Rm 323, upper most floor, outermost wall. Its door is in the stairwell, but where else would it be?
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Middletown? Share your experiences!