“A great location for a nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 17 hotels in Middletown
Forney, Texas
“A great location for a nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel is right across the street from the beach, and is within walking distance to several restaurants. Newport and the Cliff Walk are probably about a mile away. We found the rooms to be clean, and we even had a nice view of the ocean from our room's window. The breakfast was good, also.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
edinburgh, scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Rooms 121 and 123 might have been the only rooms affected by late night music from the bar next to the hotel on the Thursday and Friday nights we stayed there, but I doubt it. However, the mixture of karaoke and bands playing loudly up to 1 o'clock in the morning was a minor irritant when compared to the excellent room and facilities offered , certainly the best of the 3 Comfort Inns we visited when touring Rhode Island and Cape Cod. Immaculately clean and ideally situated close to the beach and within easy reach of Newport (the Inn provides an on demand shuttle service for $8 pp) and good adjacent restaurants (Mo's clam shack and Tickets Bar & Grill both excellent) and at reasonable cost. That said, the only issue we had was a lack of clarity over the price for the Friday night which, when taken up with Reception on the morning of departure, was very quickly resolved. All in all a very good experience well worth repeating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I just got back from a short Get-Away to Newport with my husband and we stayed at the Comfort Inn Atlantic beach. We booked a few weeks before we went and the gentleman suggested we register for the Choice Hotel Member ( No Charge) for the best rate. I followed his advise and got a King with small balcony, microwave and refrigerator at a Great Price. We were very comfortable and felt the location was very good, close enough to the beach, Cliff Walk and Newport. We did drive to the Mansions and out to dinner but the Hotel also offered a shuttle service for a small fee. The pillows are small but plentiful (I was glad I brought my favorite from home) my husband and I both had a great night sleep. Although we didn't use the (indoor) pool, it looked clean and well maintained. The breakfast was good with Belgian waffels, biscuits and gravy, cereal, scrambled eggs, fruit, coffee and juices. I couldn't get my laptop online but it wasn't a big issue for me, just used the one in the lobby. We both agreed we would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our first stay here and would definitely return.

Having stayed at the Newport beach hotel and suites (literally right next door) I would never pay the premium again to stay there when you can stay here for a lot less.

Hotel is directly opposite Easton beach, within a 15 min walk to the Cliff walk and mansions and 30 + mins walk to downtown Newport and Bowens Wharf.

Car parking was easy, friendly staff and good breakfast. A tip for those staying here would be a visit to the Sachuest State park ( a 10 min drive from the hotel) a stunning location. Not sure if all rooms are the same but our room seemed as though it had just been updated. Furniture seemed brand new, carpets clean and fresh and everywhere spotlessly clean. One gripe would be the pillows. 4 small pillows on a double bed is not adequate, and they were far too soft. Only a small moan but something that is easy to fix.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is walkable to Easton's Beach in Middletown.

I enjoyed this hotel because my room had an enormous bathroom, windows that allowed some fresh air in, a comfortable bed, and an excellent hot breakfast.

The location of the hotel was great. One morning, I decided to walk over to Newport on Memorial Blvd and it only took me half an hour on foot. If you are interested in the Cliff Walk, you can get to that within 15 minutes on foot!
I also used the hotel shuttle service, which was $8 and allowed me to commute between Newport and the hotel as much as I wanted. I called the number on the card they gave me, and even after he told me exactly where to meet him in Newport, the driver did not meet me there, but rather, drove through the post office driveway across the street and never even called me to let me know he wanted me to come over there. I called him back and he said I'd "have to wait 10-15 more minutes" at which point I was pretty ticked off... Lesson learned: be extremely clear with the instructions for the driver.

I did not have a chance to use the pool, but it looked big and there were also plenty of chaise lounges/areas to sit around the pool.

I agree with others who said this hotel could use a makeover - for being near Newport and having such a key location near the water, they could do something about the ugly pink and yellow in-room decor outdated carpet in the lobby with a flower print, too.

Staff was super friendly and I would go back just for that.
Fluctuating rates over the Newport Boat Show weekend were kind of frustrating (Thurs $105 up to Saturday $225) but to be expected, one would guess.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here over Labor Day weekend because looking for an inexpensive spot close to the beach and Newport (in case of rainy days). Excited our room had an ocean view without the ocean view price, however, wish the place was a bit cleaner. It wasnt nasty, but definitely tired. The carpeting needed a good shampoo and definitely had seen its share of sand and wear. Staff was super friendly, however. Lots of "spring break" type groups in the hotel having fun, but was pleasantly surprised that we didn't hear much noise from the hall. Not the best experience I've had in Newport, but loved that we could walk to Easton's Beach and wake up to the sun and sand.

• Stayed September 2012
Manchester, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed for the Labor Day Weekend.....the location of hotel is within walking distance to Easton Beach and Restaurants. The staff were friendly and accomodating but the rooms.....eeeekkkk...circa 1987...bedspreads with stains, dirty carpets, dated furnishings....the list goes on.....would stay there again based upon the price and location but reallly Comfort Inn....you can't spring for some updates.....have some pride in your hotel....your hotel staff does.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Middletown? Share your experiences!