“rude and in efficient staff” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Middletown
vancouver, bc
“rude and in efficient staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

it was a friday before lunch time and we had to wander down the hallway to find someone to check us in. we booked on Orbitz and they had all the details but he took great pains to get us to repeat our details and typed it in with 1 finger as slowly as possible. it took us 15 minutes to check in. not a smile , thank you or hello the whole time. there were 2 other couples loitering waiting. this was slow season. god help him when it is the summer.

i don't care if you have 1 star or 2, put a person at the front desk who has clean clothes and does not look tortured. we got the corner suite and it was sad. never seen carpet laid so poorly. the sofa had seen it's days too. it sloped forward big time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wallingford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We loved this place, it used to be a nursing home, but you would never know. It is so clean, and not far from any of the great places to visit in Newport. Very safe, clean, quiet, and as stated by another, almost like a bed and breakfast. Breakfast was just fine.
No pool, so take the noisy kids elsewhere. Nice to stay somewhere without kids running up and down the halls. Staff was exceptional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Colebrook, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had a very great experience at this lovely warm and welcoming hotel... It looks like a bed and breakfast manor...

The staff was wonderful, very helpful and welcoming...

Very safe and quiet area... Not many parking spaces but feel very secure...

Very nice small room, very comfy bed, fridge, microwave, flat screen tv and good wifi Internet...

Only one down side : no desk or working space in the room (had to use small lamp table) and breakfast area is very limited...

A great place to stay overall...

• Stayed March 2013
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a hotel, not a B & B, and it is right on the border of Newport. it is located within 5 minutes of everything (Mansions, Thames, etc). The breakfast is so so nothing special: bagels, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, coffee, tea, and juices. the rooms are roomy and clean. I would definetly stay here again. Friendly staff. The only down side was the beds were a little hard but they compensated by providing a lot of pillows.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Was moved here from a beachside hotel just before the superstorm which hit the East Coast. I guess if you like chintz and English style decor then this is your place. The staff we very helpful indeed an battled to keep the everything going through the storm and subsequent power failures.

The rooms are basic and functional and have a charm that is entirely missing in chain hotels. Nice to stay at an independent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here one night while stopping in Newport. Everything was very easy, check in, check out and especially getting help and sightseeing tips. The room was a little cold but the bed was cozy so that was not that big of a deal. The complimentary breakfast was good. It does not offer a huge variety but had everything I needed for starting the day. The location is great; it takes only a couple of minutes to get to downton Newport and after November 1st all the parking is free.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I am no stranger to this cozy property. Over the years while my daughter attended a local boarding school for her high school years, I became wonderfully acquainted with this bit of nostalgia nestled amidst tranquil corners but near enough to so much. My daughter brought home a college friend during her brief Thanksgiving recess and I decided to get a small road trip in. I thought it would be different as her school mate hails from California and loves to travel. Along with my mom, the four of us checked in on Thanksgiving day into two rooms. There was a minor glitch in the room which my mom and I stayed and staff was more than accommodating to gladly switch us into another room. This switch actually put us in the same corridor as my daughter's room; all on the first floor.

Shortly after midnight (I was still very much awake), I heard someone in the hall just outside yelling 'cut it out'...cut it out' He sounded like a mad man- LITERALLY!!!! Just before the raving lunatic sounded, it was quiet. Then my daughter comes to my door right across from her and says that staff came to her room yelling at them. I assured her that staff would not conduct themselves in that manner. I sat in their room awhile talking as a trip to the stores was happening real soon. My mom and daughter left the hotel at 1:30am (Black Friday shopping) and I chose to stay behind as did my daughter's friend. Almost 20-30 minutes later, the lunatic is banging on a nearby door and a woman opens the door and ensues a brief yelling match... as quietly as possible... NOT! I can hear the woman saying "lower your voice, I have children in here sleeping. I hear the noise and it's not from here. It is next door." The lunatic begins banging again and starts yelling at someone. I then heard him go into his room and start yelling profanity at the top of his lungs!!! I really thought he was either off his meds or had taken too much of something! Then I get a phone call from my daughter's friend who says a man came to the door yelling; she was frazzled because she was in the bed asleep. That infuriated me because I have never had a negative experience such as this at this property. By no way am I blaming the staff; of course they cannot control guest behavior.

I went to the front desk staff and shared my disgust with this patron's behavior- by now it was easily 2am. Even had any of it been true, and I didn't 'hear' the noise and I was on the same corridor next to them, there is certainly a proper way, a BETTER way, to address an issue!!!! After my mom and daughter returned, I sat in the room with my daughter and her girlfriend as a precautionary measure should the raving lunatic return. So they were sleeping and I was on guard duty- WOW!!! I was waiting for him to return so he could talk that way to me- NOT! I also
addressed my displeasure to the morning staff as well; I lost sleep and kept thinking of that nasty guest! The response was as though the staff was well aware of the guest in room 'so and so'.

Thank God night #2 was uneventful. Needless to say, you cannot make this stuff up. Did the raving lunatic affect my stay- ABSOLUTELY!!!! And how very unfortunate! Luckily, my daughter and her friend had the opportunity to meet up with one of my daughter's grammar school friends, go to Providence Mall and have some fun!

Well, I am presently in my guest room writing this review. It could not wait! Again, the staff is lovely as my previous visits here...until this one!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!