“Best Barbecue in Rhode Island” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 88 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: Barbecue, Californian, Family Fare
Naples, Florida
“Best Barbecue in Rhode Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I would start by saying Becky's is more well suited for take out then eat in. They do have tables but I would guess most of what they do is pick-up orders. They do Barbecue the real way! No sweet brushed on sauces here. Their pulled pork and Ribs are unrivaled. I always get the North Carolina sauce which I apply in small doses When there do not forget to order their smashed potatoes! Yum. Parking is in the back and you cannot miss their large smoker.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Florida
“Rhode Islander's Should Not Be Allowed To Make Barbecue”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I ate at this establishment recently, and Becky's version of barbecue is nothing like you get in other parts of the country that know how to make it. All I can say is that it was "funky".

Becky's is not exactly like the mustard-based BBQ you get in the Carolinas, or the ketchup-based BBQ you get in other parts of the country. It's, well, not quite right. It's unlike any BBQ I've ever had, and I personally didn't like it at all.

Staff was friendly, but I would not eat there again. Food was gross. Tables (only six or seven of them on-site) were very small and we had to put two small tables together so the 5 of us could sit down. Never again.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Pleasant surprise up North”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

As a frequent visitor to Rhode Island I always do my best to seek out the local eateries that are tucked slightly "off the beaten path". My wife's niece's graduation recently brought us back yet again.
I should say that growing up down South and being stationed Fort Rucker in Alabama for many years I have been exposed to the real deal Bbq... so I'm always hesitant to try something that seems to be located out of it's element. I'm very glad however my Sister in Law suggested Becky's.
When we pulled up you could see the commercial smoker in front of the building... definitely a GOOD sign! The smoker seemed to be dormant at the moment but you could still smell the fruits of their labor lingering in the air... my mouth was watering at this point!
I ordered the pulled pork sandwich which was very reasonably priced...and my wife ordered ribs which are her favorite, as well as being her "litmus test" for ANY bbq joint we visit.
I have to say my sandwich was very decent and had a nice amount of smoke and good pork flavor. I did however miss the occasional bite with the luscious crunch and flavor explosion of the bark....my sandwich consisted strictly of the strands of interior meat. Having said that, I wasn't disappointed... it was well worth the money.
My wife had a similar experience with her ribs... the flavor was there but the meat literally fell off the bone. This is not something you experience when ribs are taken from the smoker and you dive right in so I'm guessing they were reheated and steamed at some point. Kind of a shame with such a remarkable piece of machinery parked out front.
We enjoyed our lunch but I must admit when we got back to Greensboro we stopped in at Daryl's ( a local bbq joint) and both agreed that there's no place like home....
It's a VERY valid attempt and honestly a very tasty lunch, but if you know real bbq I'd suggest waiting until your travels take you a little further South. If you just cant wait.... then it's a very reasonably priced step out of the norm for Rhode Island

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
West Hartford, Ct
“Real BBQ in Rhode Island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Not for vegetarians -- Becky's BBQ is a little mom and pop restaurant and takeout place tucked away in a shopping area. No frills -- order at the counter, take your soda, and take a seat among the half dozen or so little tables. Be prepared for some real BBQ -- pulled pork sandwiches, BBQ chicken, pork and beef, and real slow-cooked ribs. A limited number of sides including some awesome baked 3-bean dish, and real cornbread. Wonderful, affordable and real down-home cooking!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newport, Rhode Island
“Great local spot for a quick lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This place is located on the busy East Main road, although it's nearly hidden because it's located in the back of a house. Anyway, the food is extremely tasty and the value is superb. I got a pulled pork sandwich with potato salad - awesome comfort food, just as I expected. Definitely stop by!

• Visited April 2012