“Mixed Bag” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 hotels in Middletown
St Pete, FL
“Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Spent 2 nights at the Newport Inn. Check-in was easy. We were given a room on the 3rd floor in the old building. You take the elevator to the 3rd floor then walk up a fairly long flights of stairs. The room was very small but looked newly remodeled well decorated. Large HD television, fridge and microwave. Extremely small bathroom with only a shower and small sink. It was even hard to brush your teeth without half of you hanging out the window. Two windows but no view. We asked for a different room but were informed they were full and no other rooms were available.

The first night went well. Very quiet and a comfortable bed. We left the next morning for some sight seeing. When we returned to the room, it had been cleaned but somebody had rifled through our things. The closet door was opened and our suitcases had been opened and a book was taken. We reported this to the front desk but were told there was no management on sight and we were offered a free continental breakfast.

The second night was not as quiet as the first. All night long we could hear people running up and down the hall and the emergency door by our room was repeatedly opened and allowed to slam shut.

All things considered I don't believe I would stay here again. This was our first trip to Newport. There are several other hotels in Newport and we will most likely try a different one on our next trip.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Obsessed with the Warrior books as they are, I brought my kids to see Erin Hunter when she spoke in Newport. I found this hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor and then calling to see which of several hotels would give me the best deal. This hotel had 2 bedroom suites- perfect for a mom traveling alone with two little ones. I was not expecting the hotel to be so fancy or such a great place for kids. The website looks very romantic. There was a huge pool with a large TV that the kids loved. The guy who works in the restaurant could not have been friendlier and was great with my kids. They have good strong coffee. I would love to come back with my husband in the warmer months.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Evanston, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

We really like the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites. Our room was very large with a king bed and a little table to sit and have breakfast (I prefer to eat in the room). The cleaning staff did a great job and everything was spotless each day when we came back. The bathroom had plenty of room for toiletries and the hotel was able to give my husband a replacement toothbrush since he had forgotten his. Everything in the hotel seems brand new. Very nice gym.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NH seacoast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I was looking for a romantic escape to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. This was the perfect place for us. We were able to walk to a variety of restaurants, businesses and beach. We had a beautiful view of Newport's cliff walk and the magnificent mansions right outside our window. We stayed in the historic building overlooking the beach and ocean and had breathtaking views. The room was large, beautifully appointed and so comfortable. The restaurant in house served wonderful meals and the service was great. I am looking forward to going back soon.

boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

I just returned from a romantic weekend here with my husband. We had a beautiful 2 bedroom "ocean view" suite. The room had 3 big screen TVs, a well appointed kitchen, and 2 large marble bathrooms. We loved the room. Our "ocean view" however was of the hotel parking lot with a tiny corner view of the ocean which is across a busy street.
We were also on the 2nd floor which is right above the parking lot and the garage. If you are going to stay here, I would request a room on the 3rd or 4th floors. Also, the ocean view is not really worth the extra money unless you are on the top floors.
The rooms are great, location is right across the street from 1st beach and a 5 minute drive to downtown Newport.
We would definitely go back-just dont expect a "stunning" view!

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Checked into the hotel for a bday weekend getaway. Staff was nice.

We got a suite on the 2nd floor in the new building facing the pond. The hotel is a bit far from the beach to have a good view if you are not on the top floor but our view was fine.

Amenities:Nice pool/hot tub room with all windows and a nice flat screen. Gym with massage room (i got a wonderful massage). Roof has hot tub (but closed in the winter so im not sure why they advertise it on the winter getaways), and firepit (which was nice even in the cold). Breakfast was tasty and movies can be rented free at the desk. The suite was very spacious (huge bathroom, huge living room, full kitchen and washer/dryer! Both rooms have good sized flat screens.

Cons: As this is on the beach it is a 5 minutes drive to Downtown Newport. In the winter there isn't much to do or eat in the area but parking in downtown is also easy in the winter. Tub wasn't really that big and the stopper didn't work so I couldn't take the luxurious bath I had been planning on, thankfully we got the pool/hot tub to ourselves between waves of children (it was school vaca week).

Overall, we had a very nice stay. The suites were great and the bed was amazing and we will definitely come back in the warmer months to enjoy the amenities to their fullest.

Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

There is simply nothing bad to say about this hotel. I have stayed here for 4 days. The staff is very helpful, especially with all the storm warnings and shifting travel plans because of that. The rooms are beautiful. I stayed in a large one bedroom suite with a huge marble bathroom that had a water view. Importantly in this weather, I was able to control the temperature of the room with a wall switch. There was a washer and dryer in the room and detergent available from the vending machine. There is also an indoor pool and spa. I was able to get a cup of coffee and run on the brand new treadmill every morning. That's about all I can ask for.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!