“Ok hotel- across from beach. Best if you can get great rate.” 3 of 5 stars

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Wave Avenue, Middletown, RI 02842   |
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Middletown
Baltimore, MD
“Ok hotel- across from beach. Best if you can get great rate.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my FI when we had to come up to RI to get our marriage license. Wanted to try one of the "newport area" hotels in the off-season. We stayed in the older section, had a king sized bed with an ocean view.

Thoughts on hotel: The room was small, but had a fridge, which was a nice touch. The bed linens were very nice, comforter was good, and my FI thought the bed was super comfortable. Toilet was omg scary loud when it flushes...no seriously, you'll think its about to launch into space! The ocean front rooms have to deal with constant traffic noise from the Very Busy main road right in front of the hotel. And in summer it is busy at all times, so just a word of warning. The main part of the hotel is very small....and the front entry way doors which are automatic doors, make the biggest racket I have ever when they open and close. Management, if you read this, replace/fix those doors! The sound is atrocious and made me wonder what else was breaking down and not being fixed in the hotel... For the couple who said there was no elevator...there is, but it is not very well marked. The stairs are steep and narrow and neverending...do not recommend taking them unless you are deliberately seeking a workout.

Beach across the way is very nice, watch out for red tide in the summer. Hotel is close to a nice assortment of restaurants, covers all price points. In the summer, try the world famous lobster rolls at the beach food shack...best tasting with a great price!!

Overall, this hotel was just ok. It suited our purposes and we got the off-season rate. I enjoyed being so close to the beach. But if I had paid the full-price summer rate I would have been seriously pissed off.... The rooms were very very tiny and the hotel itself doesn't have lots of charm or amenities. The hotel needs some updating on exterior features,and better sound-proofed windows for rooms near the heavily traveled roads...which are probably all of the rooms. I never did find the pool, hot tub, rooftop anything, or any of the other amenities and features of this hotel...staff never mentioned it or pointed out how to get to any of the facilities and I don't remember seeing any signs. Overall just ok. I enjoyed my stay but was expecting better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our family and friends gathered at your hotel for the wedding of my daughter. Some family were in the historic building( as was I), and others an easy walk to the newer building. Both accommodations were just wonderful.
High end finishes, absolutely every amenity, gorgeous room appointments and friendly and efficient staff made our stay so memorable.
I will be back for a summer visit!

Room Tip: Try the 4th floor in the historic building, the dormers lend a really wonderful feel to the rooms. A...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Milford NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had booked our accomodations on line. When we arrived, a comment was made that a mistake had been made, since we also had our grandaughter and the room booked had only one queen bed. They did quickly honor the reservation with another room with two queen beds. It had to be the smallest room available, in a corner facing the next door neighbors yard. The view out one window was of the yard and the other of a roof. The room was small, cumbersome to get around. This was in April!! Was this the best that could be available? The restaurant was not open since it was the beginning of the week. We also were told that an extra $50 would be added for use of "entitlements". We received a llist of entitlements which included the pool (not open), the gym-work out room, laundry etc. Luckily we did not use, but only because nothing was available. Since we had never had this extra charge, we did get a good laugh with our grandaughter every time we used a towel or had tea or coffee (provided in room) Overall, the room was clean, coffee (starbucks) packets in room along with Stash teas. Parking was convenient and easily available. No extra charge was placed for the extra bed and our initial $50 deposit credited It seemed confusing and less than ideal for what we were anticipating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Marlborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I live about 90 minutes from this property, so it's a perfect, overnight getaway. It's one of my favorite spots: across the street from the beach, near Flo's Clam Shack, walking distance to the Cliff Walk, between the Atlantic and Newport's famous summer "cottages", aka, mansions. I've stayed at the historic building before, but I must say I prefer the suites, which offer kitchens, washer/dryer, an indoor pool and whirlpool and a rooftop hot tub and fire pit. There's Anthony's fish market/restaurant on Aquidneck Ave. up the street, a French bakery "Provence", a great coffee shop. Several restaurants nearby and a "Subway" at the end of the hotel street. There's also a fantastic, farm stand, "Sweet Briar Farm" a few miles away, near a bird sanctuary. My favorite beach, Third Beach, is a short drive. You're close to downtown Newport, but you have everything you need in one spot if you stay (also whirlpools in the new suites). Great spot for couples, families, or good friends (a couple, two-bedroom suites also have two baths).

Room Tip: Rooms with lower numbers have better views. One-bedroom suites, most odd numbers, are on the marsh s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I and 6 of our friends stayed here this past weekend (Thursday-Sunday) to celebrate my 30th birthday. We all absolutely LOVED it! We stayed 4 to a room in their 2 Bedroom Corner Suites. It was like walking into an apartment. I loved the set up of the rooms (my husband and I had the master bedroom with the personal bathroom with tub and shower stall - it was great). Loved the view from the room. Was not expecting it, but there was a full kitchen with full size refrigerator. They have TVs in the living room and in each bedroom and they give you so many channels to choose from. The hotel in general was very clean/spotless.

One thing I will say is that when they say "balcony", it's not really a balcony. Like it's not how you picture opening the door and stepping out onto a balcony. It's more that the door opens and you have the ability to open the screen door as well and there is a railing right outside. But that is totally not a deal breaker.

I loved that it was right across from the beach and not a very far drive from the main part of Newport (if taking cabs there and back - we paid about $12 per trip). We didn't eat in the Ocean Bar & Grille but there are great places to eat in walking distance from the hotel for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and a few bars to hang out. The entrance to the cliff walk is also in walking distance.

We didn't make use of the pool or hot tub but did spend a night up by the fire pit which was very nice (just note that you can't bring glass up there so if you are BYOBing, make sure it's cans). We did peek into the pool area and it looked very clean - not a huge pool but big enough.

I also took advantage of their spa on my last morning there and got a massage. I can't remember the lady's name, but it was a great massage and the room was very nice, clean, and relaxing to be in. It's located right next to the gym (which I peeked into). They seemed to have about 5 machines or so but honestly, if you are going to work out, you might as well run along the beach or take a walk through the surrounding areas.

Overall, anytime we return to Newport, we will with out a doubt be staying here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
West Boylston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This past weekend, my girlfriend and I enjoyed a beautiful spring weekend. Our room was in the original building with a fantastic ocean beach view. The room was clean and comfortable. The king size bed was fine and there's nothing like relaxing in the jacuzzi after a long week at the office. In addition to strolling on the cliff walk, we enjoyed the local pubs and shopping. I recommend the hotel and I plan on staying there again soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matawan, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We travelled this past weekend April 25-27 with our young daughter. We chose this hotel becuase we needed to have a 1 bedroom suite since our daughter goes to sleep at 8pm. We stayed in the new building. The location is great - the beach is right across the street with access to the cliff walk and there are many restaurants within walking distance. It is also very convient to have a kitchen and laundry in your room when travelling with children. These are things you are paying for.

Some complaints:
1 - The couch (a pull out) in the living room was horrible! We actually had to pull it out and sit on the bed to watch TV. I'm sure many families are barely hanging out in the room with so many attractions in Newport, but again with a young child asleep it would have been nice to sit on the couch in the evening to watch TV comfortably.
2 - Noise! You could hear every footstep of the guests above. We also had the guests below bang on the ceiling because they heard our young daughter running around at 7:30 pm.
3 - Service was not very good. No one was at the front desk when checking in. A phone call prior to arrival was not very friendly. When calling for sheets for the pull out the repsponse was "they are on there, did you pull it out?" I was staring at an empty mattress!

Overall, because we went off season for a Thurs/Fri night the price was reasonable and I would consider it worth it. However, if I went in the summer and paid over $500 a night for this hotel I would have been VERY unhappy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!