“Spacious suites, good parking” 3 of 5 stars

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Wave Avenue, Middletown, RI 02842   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Middletown
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Spacious suites, good parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while he attended a conference and I went sightseeing. The suite was well-equipped, clean and had a nice view across the marsh. The room came with parking, which was a plus. The beach across the street was gorgeous. The only bad thing was that we could hear the loud footsteps of the person staying in the room above ours. I've heard of thins walls, but this was thin floors and this person walked around a lot.

We had breakfast at the hotel one morning and they were able to accomodate us with items not on the menu at our request. However, my placemat had been used and not replaced. The food was fine and not too expensive. There didn't seem to be much in the way of restaurants in the little commercial area just beyond the hotel, but we had the car to get us into Newport. It is about a mile into town from here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The manager having a barney with a disgruntled guest when we registered was an interesting start; the room was tiny, cluttered with over sized (and redundant) furniture; the AC was so noisy you couldn't use it, the restaurant was simply awful, and the restaurant staff evidently didn't like their jobs.
All in all the best thing about this hotel was leaving it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Endicott, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I liked this hotel although we stayed in a room that required walking up a full flight of stairs. The location is convenient to the beach and the Cliff Walk. We enjoyed the complimentary drink and food at happy hour each night. Breakfast in the restaurant took forever and I wouldn't eat there the second day because the service was horrible and the food wasn't very good either.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I decided to stay here over hotels right in Newport based on the proximity to the beach, the price and the overall positive reviews from this website. I wouldn't say that I had a bad stay there but it was just average, at best.

My biggest issue with the hotel is the fact that the photos on their website are COMPLETELY misleading, as a few other people have mentioned in recent posts. The pictures of the hotel make it seem like its the only building nearby when there are actually quite a few buildings as well as a water sewage treatment center right next door. I don't think that knowing this would have changed my decision to stay there but it was just so blatantly obvious that everything is photoshopped.

The other issue I had was the service. We called a few days before we arrived to make sure the hotel hadn't been damaged because of the hurricane. The front desk said that they weren't hit at all and that there had been no issues. When we got there, the bartender told us that they didn't have hot water and had other rain-related issues until the day before we arrived. I understand not wanting to worry your guests but completely lying to them is not really the way to go. The front desk staff was pretty unhelpful in terms of suggesting which mansions to go to ("they are all good") or restaurants we should try. We asked if we could walk into Newport and the woman at the front said definitely not. Maybe I'm just used to walking everywhere in New York City but while it's a little bit of a walk, it was definitely do-able (and a really nice walk!).

The room was really small and the toilet ran the entire time and was really hard to flush. The website made the bathrooms look really nice but ours was definitely dingy. We were in the historic building looking out towards the beach but it overlooked a main road that was really loud in the morning.

I liked that the hotel was so close to the beach and a few restaurants but it's definitely not the place to go if you are looking for a lot to do. The beach is really small and nothing special but it was nice to be able to walk across the street and hang out all day. You are also really close to the cliff walk which was one of my favorite parts of the trip. If you don't mind walking, Newport is about a half hour walk or the hotel can call you a cab, though they warned us that the cabs aren't very reliable.The hotel also has a happy hour with a complimentary drink and snacks (cheese, crackers and some kind of puff pastry). They say that there are complimentary drinks and snacks but you will find out at the bar that you only get one free drink - just a warning since it's not clear on their advertisements.

I would probably stay there again if I wanted to be close to the beach (there are 2 other beaches that are close by) but if I wanted to be in Newport, I would look for something right in the town. If you are driving to Newport, parking can be a pain to find and expensive so you aren't really saving that much money by staying right outside the town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
nunavut, canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Was at there for 4 days and 3 nights, we took a 1 bdroom suite priced at 399$ in late august but just before hurricane Irene. Overall, we spent 5 nights in Newport RI, first two nights at the Marriott Residence Inn (Middletown, RI) see my review there. Reading all the previous comments made me diversify my initial strategy and I do not regret it. The suite was clean and comfortable. Very practical kitchenette, a lot of space, etc. It was rather quiet when we stayed there on the third floor. Of course, we did hear some noise from the top floor, that couple had 3 kids. Easton's beach is a quick walk nearby, only thing is that the WATER WAS RED...full of red seaweed. Can someone explain this? Included to my post please find 2-3 pictures of the water treatment plant next to the hotel. From our room, we did not have an issue with this. However, the quick walk to the beach is a very smelly one.

Room Tip: We had supper at the Mooring restaurant recommended to us by the staff of the hotel.
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Unfortunately we only had one night here during a tour of New England. This a a vey good hotel in a perfect spot opposite the beach. Room large , modern, very clean,and overlooking beach. Nice touch was a welcome drink in the bar early evening. Great rooftop hot pool and relaxation area and small pool in the suites building opposite. Good breakfast. Very enjoyable on this short stay

North Stonington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The suites were absolute perfection without any attention to detail spared. This wasn't just a great place for a couples getaway, but we had our two children as well (aged 10 and 5), and it was excellent!

The suites offer 2 generously sized rooms with King-Sized and amazingly comfortable beds, flat screen tvs with DVD in every room and well over 200 channel options to choose from.

The suite also offered 2 full immaculate baths with an whirlpool adjacent to the master suite.

The living room was furnished with modern and comfortable furniture, and the room also had a full kitchen with stainless steel fixtures and a full stainless steel fridge (which was perfect for storing our wine, drinks, and other food).

So, although I have stayed at many top of the line hotels, I would say that this ranks right up there with the best of them! Probably one of the greatest memories I enjoyed with this trip was the short distance to the Cliff Walk along the ocean and Newport Mansions. I walked along with the beautiful view of the ocean on one side and the mansions on the other, and all the while I was holding my daughter as she slowly fell asleep in my arms.

I will absolutely be back next year, and I have already spread the word that this place is not to be missed!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!