“Big improvements over previous stays” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Get a $20 Bistro credit!
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Middletown
Salem, Massachusetts
“Big improvements over previous stays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Having stayed here many times in the past because of work and having not been terribly impressed with the experiences, I was not looking forward to spending four weeks here earlier this year. What a pleasant surprise to discover how much this hotel had improved since the last time I'd stayed!

One of my prior complaints was that the rooms were frequently not cleaned properly, as I'd found food left in the room from a previous occupant and the toiletries hadn't been re-stocked in the bathroom. This was not at all the case this time, as the room was quite clean when I checked in, and the maid service kept up with things like replacing the toilet paper the entire time.

Rooms in general were quite comfortable - big, cushy beds, a desk that was convenient for working at, a fridge, and a microwave. Bathroom is fine; glad that it was the set-up wherein the sink is outside the shower and toilet area, as I was sharing with a co-worker and that helped expedite things in the mornings.

The Wi-Fi now works throughout the hotel, thankfully, although it did disconnect me randomly once in a while. Unfortunately, cell service is still terrible, but this is true of much of the area surrounding the Naval Station. There is also still no breakfast offered as part of one's stay, and the breakfast bar is quite pricey. Location may be a sticking point for some as well - if you have business at the Naval Station, its perfect, as it is roughly half a mile from the back gate, but downtown Newport isn't convenient (especially in summertime).

But, really, what I want to talk about is the staff, who were excellent. I'm in the military, and myself and about twenty other people from my unit stayed here for the duration of some training that we had to complete. I do not think we were always the easiest of guests, quite frankly - but the staff treated us unbelievably well. There were some issues with rooms, and the staff was more than accommodating in helping us work those issues out. We had a couple of people who kept having issues with their debit cards when purchasing things from the mini-shop and the breakfast bar, and the staff was extremely patient about it (even as it kept happening over and over again). And our last night, one of the bartenders gave us a cake wishing us well in our future deployment. I was completely bowled over.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Littleton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We felt this hotel was very reasonable to be so near to Newport RI. Everything was fine with our room.

If we did have a complaint it would be the lady who checked us in was not the friendliest. She seemed in a hurry even though we were the only people at her desk and we had to ask for brochures/information about the area. She should have asked if we needed maps, etc. The other desk staff during the four days we stayed here were very helpful.

Breakfast is not included. We ate several days at the Newport Creamery just up the road. It was very good and reasonably priced.

Very quick drive to Newport.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early ask for a room away from the pool. People are in the pool until 10 p.m. and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Not much to add that previous reviewers haven't commented upon. Staff was very friendly, room was clean, good pizza place nearby. Breakfast was typical as expected. Would recommend if you were traveling through the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Walpole, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you are familiar with Marriott Courtyards then you know exactly what to expect from this property. It has nice amenities, the room was clean (albeit quite small even by Courtyard standards), and the staff was friendly. I wish Courtyards would get softer sheets (this is a comment directed to the entire chain).

The main reason for staying here is if you want reasonably convenient access to Newport without paying Newport proper lodging rates (as a comparison, the Newport Marriott, which is arguably a much nicer hotel, was $300 more per night). The hotel is located in a business park area just off of Route 114. The area itself is very nondescript, really a commercial strip area, but a few miles to the south is the charm of Newport.

I would stay there again if my travels take me to the Newport area again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had a large group stay at this hotel. The staff was very accommodating, to all of us. There are plenty of stores and restaurants in the area. The rooms were clean and bright. Located right off a busy street it’s situated so we heard no traffic noise. Great location not far from the beaches.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rising Sun, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for one night at this hotel on our way back from Cape Cod, MA and we loved it! Upon entering the lobby, I knew this hotel was going to be great! Very modern style and spacious, it made me want to grab a book, relax and read! Happy to see there was a little cafe in there as well. The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome. Our room itself was room 116, it was nice because it faced the courtyard rather than just seeing the parking lot. For two people, this room was perfect. Water pressure in the shower was great, a problem I sometimes find when I stay at hotels. TV was updated, lots of channels as well! We both had a great night sleep on the bed and the late checkout (12pm) was wonderful! For the price, it is definitely worth it to stay at this hotel and drive the short (about 7-10 minutes) to Newport!

Room Tip: Get a courtyard view room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel a couple of nights. The beds are comfortable, and my room was clean and quiet. What more could one ask for? I would definitely go back and recommend it to anyone going to Newport!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Courtyard Newport Middletown? Share your experiences!