“Little Compton Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Bethesda, Maryland
“Little Compton Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Little Compton is a charming New England town, and Commons Lunch has been there as long as I remember. Do not expect fancy at this place, but you can count on good service, good food, and the type of unique dining experience that is fast disappearing from the scene. I went there recently with my 18-month-old grandson for breakfast. We both enjoyed the friendly service, great coffee, and wonderful blueberry pancakes. The locals sit at the counter - for breakfast there are multiple pick-up trucks parked outside as the door opens at six a.m. - and the summer folks sit at the tables and booths in the dining room. People greet each other as they arrive and catch up on the local news. The food is very good here - but it's just part of the attraction. This is small-town living at its best, but also welcoming for the few tourists who come through.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Norwell
“Great place for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We happened to fall upon Commons Lunch. The staff was friendly and the food was delicious. They have eggplant fries which I did not try but wanted to so bad! Next time!

Visited August 2012
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Nice Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had lunch here last week. I had the chicken salad wrap, my husband had the scallop sandwich (which he’s still raving about) and our friend ordered something that wasn’t even on the menu! Needless to say – we all belonged to the “clean plate club”! It’s a great hometown diner and beats the fast food places hands down any day.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tiverton, Rhode Island
“Best Restaurant in eastern Newport County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have been eating at The Commons restaurant in the center of Little Compton since 1989, with time out due to a fire ten years ago. This is a place for locals and summer people. I have never had a bad meal. The seafood is as good or better than seafood restaurants and each day the menu features a list of specials that are sure to please the palate of the most jaded restaurant goer. The location is on Little Compton's town green (there is no Big Compton) which most people would associate with traditional New England: a 17th century cemetery, the Congregational Church, and town hall. The Commons is open for breakfast until supper seven days a week. This is always my first choice when dining out (and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.) The prices are very reasonable (particularly the seafood that is dollars less for similar quantity elsewhere) and I feel the meals are tastier. I like the fried clam and scallop combination for under $16, the steak sandwiches, and the turkey dinner (for whenever you feel like eating a Thanksgiving-like meal for around 8 bucks.) Out-of-towners will find locating Little Compton commons a challenge, but the trip is more than worth. For us locals: thank God we live nearby!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New England
“Just as good as I remembered!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Little Compton is a gem of a town off the beaten path, but worth the trip. The Commons is charming, complete with steepled white church and graveyards, an old store (with surprising merchandise) and the Commons Lunch. I lived in RI 20 years ago, and this was my first return to Commons Lunch since then. I was planning to get the johnnycakes, which I recalled to be wonderful here, but we arrived at 1 pm, and learned they are only served until noon, so plan accordingly. One of our group had the lobster roll ($15), two of us had the salmon pie (excellent) and one had old fashioned meat loaf. We were all too full for dessert. (Intended to save room for Gray's ice cream at Tiverton Four Corners, but couldn't manage it.)

• Visited June 2012