“Reliable” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Little Compton, Rhode Island
“Reliable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Never have a bad meal or a bad time at Crowther's. Friendly crowd (even if you're not a 'regular")Food is fairly priced and diverse.Bartenders and wait staff ALWAYS friendly and welcoming. Could use a little "sprucing up", whatever, but can be overlooked for all its positives. What's not too like ?

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

MA
“Improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

The appetizer --calamari --was very unique and tasty and light. Not deep fried but sauteed with olives, tomatoes and garlic. The two entrees we tried were the New Bedford Sea Scallops and a special--pot roast.
The scallops were good. The portion was small. The pot roast was very tasty and came with mashed potatoes and spinach as did the scallops. The sides were fine. There is a good selection of draft beers. We dined in the bar and it is casual and homey.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seekonk
“Dave East Beacher”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The reason for the 'very good' vs 'excellent' review has nothing to do with service or food or atmosphere. It's the physical condition of the dining room. It needs to be updated. But, other than that, I'd give it an excellent! This year, I've been there several times with friends and alone. In all visits I've had different servers, including one time by the bartender because I ate at the bar. Food is excellent as well as the personalities of the servers. I met so many interesting people in the lounge when I was there just for drinks. I've also been for Saturday evening dinner and was entertained by a soothing and delightful guitarist. I highly recommend it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Well Done, Great Value, Attentive Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We decided to have a relaxing "come as you are"dinner with our kids while on vacation nearby to Crowther's. we have dined at Crowther's before so new it would be casual.
There was a 16 person in the dining room, so I was worried that the service would be slow, but our server, Richard was extremely attentive and took great care of us. Richard made sure that the kids had crayons. That we had drinks, and that our order received good attention along with the large party. The food arrived in a normal amount of time,was hot and fresh and very tasty.
I had broiled New Bedford scallops, my wife had spinach salad with chicken: Both excellent
The kids had a Hot Dog and fries and Penne with Cheese sauce, both good and included ice cream for a good value.

Overall, very happy and if you want a little entertainment ther was an acoustic guitar player playing in the lounge area.

A solid good value, tasty food well prepared, great service, We'll be back!

Visited August 2013
Little Compton, Rhode Island
“Hidden Charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Waitress offered three sides with dinner and never mentioned a surcharge with one.
Asked if bread was served and the answer was yes. Never mentioned the charge of $2.99.
Ordered two additional cokes and never was informed they were $2.00 for each additional one.
Total additional charges $8.00!

Too much for mediocre food!!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kane L, Manager at Crowther's, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hello Niles57,
I am sorry to hear about your last visit to our restaurant. I would like to start by apologizing for any miscommunication on our policies here at Crowther’s and I would also like to thank you for your feedback. It’s these kinds of reviews that help us better our establishment not just for you but others in our community.
To begin I would like to ask why you did not bring these issues to my attention at the time of your visit. It could have been easily rectified. Also nowhere do we advertise free refills, this is not a “hidden charge”. We buy top name brand soft drinks unlike your typical diner or pizzeria so our costs are much higher. We do offer pitchers for a cheaper rate for those who love soda. As for the bread the menu clearly states that the bread basket is $1.99 not $2.99. If you were over charged for bread I am truly sorry. That is a big over site and there is no excuse for something like that to happen. I only hope you will visit us again to allow us to make it up to you. Again, thank you for your feedback and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Gratefully,