“The Best Portuguese Restaurant in RI” 5 of 5 stars

401-438-3769
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Cranston, Rhode Island
“The Best Portuguese Restaurant in RI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

O Dinis Restaurant is The Best Portuguese Restaurant in RI. The food is excellent and the prices are affordable and the Flan is to die for! My friends are from Portugal, they have their own gardens, they make their own chorico and their own wine, so they are valid critics. They thoroughly enjoyed the food and the wine and the dessert, especially the flan!
The waitress was exceptionally pleasant and personable. This is a five star, for sure!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“All I could see were smiling faces...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have rarely have had such a good feeling about a restaurant. Not only was the food hearty and tasty, but you felt like part of the family the minute you walk through the door. Even in the middle of the afternoon on a Friday there were few open tables. The servers couldn't have been more accommodating to our large group. We had the clams with wine and garlic for an app and were not disappointed.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ThinkGadgetSr
“Awesome food, friendly staff, very much like being in Portugal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

The owner's daughter waited on us. She is a delight and had us laughing as we enjoyed some of the best Portuguese food around. As she said, "they invest in the food, not the atmosphere!"

It's a small place, and filled with the regular clients, however we felt right at home, and were amazed at the spectacular food. The prices are extremely fair and the value is probably the best around. I can't wait to take our friends there.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Great Find!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We were actually looking for a place that sells Portugese cassoula sandwhiches, but O' Dinis popped up on our phone so we decided to give it a try. Not too busy but it was 3:30 so right between meals. The waitress was very friendly with a good sense of humour, making us feel right at home. I can see the atmosphere being great at meal time.
We had a couple of Sagres, then I had the 'Carne de Porco Alentjana', basically, pork, liitlenecks, potatoes and olives in a very tasty sauce, which was cooked to perfection. My girlfriend had the garlic shrimp dish, which I also tried, delicious. The espresso to finish was great.
I'm not Portugese but my girlfriend is so we eat this kind of food somewhat frequently in this area, we've also eaten it in Portugal and I've had it in Angola and we both agreed that it is up there with the best we've had. Having eaten the same dish at Madeira, just down the road, I can say I won't be going back there again, O 'Dinis, blows it away in both quality and value.
For a spur of the moment decision on our way home from Fall River, we are both delighted we found this gem and will be going back soon with our friends and family. Great Job.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
RI, USA
“Pork and clams brings us back time after time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I have a secret. My husband and I often order two orders of Pork Alentejana for takeout. The two dishes set us back about $30 and is more than enough to feed our family of 4. And oh, how delicious. The clams are always fresh. The pork tender. The sauce is rich and flavorful. We love the addition of the traditional olives, which are a great foil for the roasted potatoes. It is a great, inexpensive meal the whole family loves.

We enjoy eating in the restaurant, too. Last time we had great service from a very lovely and personable waitress. She was knowledgeable about the food and steered us towards some really delectable specials.

I love the selection of inexpensive Portuguese wines. They go great with the food and won't set you back an arm and a leg.

All in all, the food is excellent, the atmosphere homey and inviting and the service is great. We are fans for sure.

• Visited September 2011