“Great burgers - Confort food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Hamburgers
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
San Clemente, California
“Great burgers - Confort food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

This is my 4th different "Ted's" and arrived at the same high quality of the other 3 that I had already visited. Today, I chose to go with the Bacon Chese, Grilled Onion and Bison burger. it hit the spot with those incredible salt & Pepper onion rings.
Service was great, food was great, and the pickles that were delivered with our menus were a nice touch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hartford, Connecticut
“Well run restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

We had lunch on a Sunday afternoon with a group of 13. Here is our review:
A new restaurant in an upscale shopping center just off the highway. The service was excellent and the food and drinks very good. They offer private booths or tables. The woodwork and layout creates a classy environment. Even the rest rooms were clean. Ample free parking.

No complaints. I would definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New England
“Good but some disappointments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

We recently had dinner at Ted's. I was eager to try it after reading about the menu and the eco-friendly business model it has adopted. We started out with very well-made margaritas (mix is made every day) and the salt and pepper onion rings which were good but nothing to rave about (breading was heavy).

I chose the Saturday special, bison short ribs. These were excellent, falling apart tender with a homemade bbq sauce. The meat is very mild and honestly I would never have known it wasn't beef. The side of mashed potatoes were less good. They were almost dry and had very little flavor. No pat of butter or sauce to moisten them up. I chose to get the creamed spinach instead of the standard green beans and it was excellent and RICH. A small helping of this goes a long ways.

My husband chose the bison steak (sorry, don't remember which one, but it wasn't the tenderloin). He liked it, but I definitely could taste a difference here and didn't like it as much as my ribs. He did have to send it back when it first came out as it wasn't close to the desired doneness.

We split a dessert - nutty apple crisp. This was "interesting". Huge portion with lots of thick cut apples and 2 small scoops of vanilla ice cream. But the crisp topping was incredibly sweet, sickeningly so and very runny. I think of a crisp as having a crunchy topping on top of the fruit. Plus the fruit was so thickly cut, many of the slices were not completely baked through. As a baker myself, I could think of several ways to improve this dish and wouldn't order this again.

For another restaurant I might mark this review down to a 3, but because I am very impressed by the fact that everything is cooked to order and made on the premises I'm willing to cut them a little slack. Also, the service was extremely attentive and proactive when something wasn't quite right (ie the steak). I probably should have told them about my potatoes, I'm sure they would have been happy to fix it. I think we'll try Ted's again and see what else is on the menu. the margarita's alone are worth going back for!

Cumberland RI
“Awesome food, good backstory.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

My first time at Ted's Montana Grill was for a college paper I was writing on management styles. The restaurant manager was really friendly and attentive and helped us with every question I had. This is an eco-friendly restaurant with paper straws, recycled menus, half flush bathrooms with environmentally safe soap. The primary meat of this place is bison, which I first thought was endangered and was not to be eaten. I soon found out that Ted Turner (founder of CNN) created this chain to bring bison as a staple in the food diet of Americans so cattle ranchers will breed more of them. By doing this he can create the first bison range across the US.

Anyways, back to the food. He let me have a taste test of some classic menu items. They were all delicious! The bison chili was mildly spicy with tender meat. The onion rings are a must have, served towered high with little American flags and a horseradish sauce. I fell in love with the bison burgers. Full meals in themselves they are juicy and taste much better than regular burgers, and they are healthier for you too.

The service is top notch and they have inspirational quotes on the walls next to the booths that just adds to the experience.

If you want a meal that is delicious, healthier than you thought, with great service at a decent price, while being eco-friendly, this place is for you!

Ocala, Florida
“A cut above the average chain restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

My husband and I eat at Montana Grill several times a month. We like its proximity to our house, the quality of the food, and the service levels provided. It's pricier than most of the chains but I feel the freshness of the ingredients, the good preparation, and the availability of some different choices make it worthwhile.

I would highly recommend the burgers, either the beef or bison - even ordered well-done as I request they are juicy and delicious. The crabcakes are the best I have had anywhere including the Chesapeake Bay area so that says a lot! i also love their salads - good portions and delicious!

We are recognized as regulars now by the wait staff and it's kind of fun to be greeted by them even if they aren't personally waiting on us. This is a super well-trained staff which always makes you feel welcomed.