“Third trip and our last” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapel Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 244 Restaurants in Cranston
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Californian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Nestled within a hilltop village, Chapel Grille is a New England destination, the crown jewel of Rhode Island's top restaurants. Relax on our terrace overlooking the stunning panoramic views, the sunset washed Providence skyline and the beautifully lit bridges at dusk. The Chapel Grille Features hearth style cuisine and a Mediterranean Italian influenced menu focusing on locally foraged ingredients prepared with care and served with ceremony. Watch your pizza being fired in our Woodstone hearth oven while enjoying a glass of wine in our soaring cathedral bar or cozy up by the fireplace for a romantic dining experience second to none.
Providence, Rhode Island
“Third trip and our last”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Just when you think a new restaurant is a real find and you praise it to all, it bitterly disappoints. That's the case with Chapel Grill. The food was just mediocre, but the prices remained the same.
The service was not as wonderful as the first time, but is was adequate. Since I ordered the same dish (grilled cornish game hen) which I thought was wonderful the first time, the overgrilled dried up dish that came was really bad. Even the polenta side did not taste the same. New chef???

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

New London, Connecticut
“A favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This restored old bad boys school is now the hip,chic and cool place to be scene and to enjoy anyone of the menu selections.The chef at the chapel Grill is one of three in the USA that I truly care to mention.I do so with great admiration for the truly inventive "Pop Culture".of cuisine. Everything is new, clean and tastefully decorated. Its great just to hang out with a glass of wine or a cocktail and enjoy the ambience.Prices are very reasonable and the service is professional grade.If you have a complaint its just you having a bad day.The food choices are many with a full range to perk anyone's interest.The problem that I have is plainly what to choose because I know that it'll be to good to pass up.There are several private rooms and outdoor patios and a loft that is always requested so be specific when making a reservation.I had the honor of a personal tour.I came away VERY impressed. James Martinsson

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Food Ok, service AWFUL!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

We go out to eat a lot. We go to a veriety of places at a verity of prices dependimg on our mood and the occasion.
The atmosphere and one of a kind feel to Chapel Grille is great. You can tell that they are trying to be like The Capital Grille, without the chain. However they have a lot to change if they are going to survive.
I had heard mixed reviews about the food, and have only heard awful things about the service but 6 of us went anyway....gave it a try.
The food was fine. Not sure why a place with these prices would ever have a problem with food as they should have been hiring very exspeirenced chefs from the get go who does not need time to get it right. We had the deviled eggs (nothing great), the three couples split three salads ( were all fine),each person had an entree which everyone was happy with except the person who has the pene (not sure how you mess up pasta). I will say that the desserts were great. We got the two hot chocolate cupcakes and the dessert special; berry tart.
Now the service; when you go to places such as this the service should be impecable! When the waiter is going to walk away with a $60+ tip from one table the service should be nearly close to flawless. They have The Capital Grille pricing and style but no Capital Grille service. I have seriously gotten better service across the street at both Papa Ratzi and Applebee's!
My husband and I got there first and was seated. NO ONE came over to greet us or offer us a drink! Too bad as that would have added at least $30 to the bill as we were there 15 min early. Now let me tell you the place was not busy, only four other couples in the room so it's not like they were too busy to come over to us. The waiters 'share' tables. Bad idea unless they communicate to one another and it was obvious on multiple occasions that they do not! Multiple times they both came over and asked us things that the other person already asked. They both did not seem comfortible or expierenced as wait staff at all, which is not something you should feel from The waiter at a resturant such as this. One woman's drink order was forgotten. I was handed the wrong meal. And the desserts were put down in front of all the wrong people.
One other thing; they need to make up a drink/martini menu especially before summer when people will most Likly come just to sit on the patio and drink. When they said there was no drink menu they just kept repeating the same thing that they could make us 'we have pomogranite, lemon drop' I think I heard that three times last night!

If I was to ever go back it would NOT be for a $340 meal (not including tip) as we did last night, would rather go to Trattoria Romano in Lincoln or Wakefield where the service and food is outstanding. If I ever do go back it will be a situation where we are looking for dessert and drinks only! It was so bad I think I'll be making a call to management. If this was my resturant I would want to know the problems and fix it ASAp!

I hope management reads all these reviews about the service. There are too many people complaining about it to just ignore it if they want to continue to be in business after the 'newness' of the place wears off.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Belleair, Florida
“Pretentious, over-priced, and over-hyped.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

A disappointing experience! I had heard that the restaurant was reasonably good, and I went expecting something far beyond a typical Outback or Texas Roadhouse experience. By the end of the meal, though, I would've traded it for a Cracker Barrel.

All pricing was higher end (for Providence), but absolutely nothing was above average. The salad was fine, as was the bread that accompanied it, but the steak (with its accompanying glaze) would've been beaten by a basic grilled filet at Texas Roadhouse, and the mashed potatoes (with bacon and onion) were wholly mediocre, as was the asparagus.

Worse, the service was extremely inattentive. Granted, I was an individual diner, but by my count, waiters were within "shouting" distance on 6 occasions, without once looking my way to see that I obviously wanted their attention. Short of yelling, or getting up and tackling them, I'm not sure what else I could've done, and this is mentioned because it wasn't a time or two, but several.

In short, as noted in the title, I found it pretentious, over-priced, and over-hyped. Now if scored purely on the taste, I'd have probably listed it as "mediocre" or "average," but given the pricing (and appropriate expectation), the experience should've been significantly better.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
east greenwich, rhode island
“A real pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

I was told by friends and associates that the service was spotty, as was the food. A pleasant surprise beheld me tonight as I found the restaurant beautiful and busy. Someone from the wait staff told us the specials then disappeared. A short while later someone inquired about drinks. A while later someone brought bread and 4 different olive oils. About 15 minutes later we asked if someone wanted to take our order. The chicken escarole soup was wonderful. The veal francaise had mashed potatoes and thinly sliced zucchini. The presentation was lovely and the dinner was wonderful on the palate. We chose no dessert but had tea. It was not expensive in the least. Our bill was $60. The wine list is expensive, and marked up 300%, but the entire experience was lovely and I plan to return again. My one real criticism was that the noise level was intense, making conversation difficult. I am glad I chose to dine here and see for myself how the restaurant fared. All in all it was a lovely meal in a lovely (albeit sacreligious) setting.