“Depends on what is important to you” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Surfside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Surfside Motel
You added The Surfside Motel to your Saves list
334 Narrow Lane, Charlestown, RI 02813   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
Rehoboth, Massachusetts, United States
“Depends on what is important to you”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Here is our story and hopefully, it helps you in your decision. We (me, my wife & daughter) stayed 2 nights in June, Thursday & Friday. We informed them that we would bring an Aerobed for our daughter so they said they would give us a room with two double beds as it would provide a little more room for the extra mattress (they did not have any efficiency rooms availabe so that was not their fault). We stayed in room #15 on the second floor.

Pros: Great service and very accomodating & friendly staff, ICE COLD air conditioning, nice location for local attractions including resturaunts, Mystic, the beach for bikes & autos but not what I consider walking distance. Free WiFi, small fridge & microwave for convenience and it is nice to have these things in your room, and a complimentary hair dryer in case you forgot yours.

Cons: Rooms are extremly small and I do mean EXTREMELY - we slid both beds to the walls to make room for the aerobed and it nearly required vasaline to get it in. Bathrooms showers are also incredibly small, not that we had an issue with them, however, if you are a large individual either vertically or horizontally, these showers could present a problem, bathroom was very clean but the room itself smelled very musty, carpet was dirty, bed spread had an unsettling stain on it, and my wife's feet were bit up pretty bad on both nights. My daughter & I kept socks on so we did not have an issue. I did not see the culprit but have a hunch of would it could have been.

Summary: For us, we will not stay here again. That does not mean it would not fit some folks requirements, just not ours. We took a shot at it because the vast majority of the reviews (and we did read them prior to booking) painted a better picture than we vewed. We also thought it would be a cost savings versus a nice hotel, although, as motel prices go, this motel is rather expensive, just not compared to a hotel. After weighing the pros and cons, we would rather pay the difference for the nicer hotel and sleep more comfortably. I think it is possible for some to be completely satisfied with their stay as long as they know what to expect ahead of time. Good luck and I hope this helped!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Surfside1955, Manager at The Surfside Motel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review both the pros and cons. We are pleased that you found great service, friendly staff and that we were accomodating to your needs. We do offer amenities beyond others in the area so thank you for mentioning them. The problems you mentioned I have taken note of and will see to there needs except those that are beyond my control such as shower size and room size. Again we do appreciate your comments as it does help us to provide our guests with the best stay possible.

Debbie
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a "Mom and Pop" motel which has been lovingly cared for. The rooms are simple but charming and immaculately clean. I was there for two weeks while I directed a show at Theatre by the Sea. The kitchenette was great so I didn't have to go to restaurants all the time. Debbie, who runs the place, couldn't be nicer. I already have a reservation to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the room worked out well for you and you found it charming and clean. Many do enjoy the kitchette as it makes their stay easier. We look forward to your return in the future.
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We arrived at the Surfside Motel planning on staying a full three days. We ended up having a family emergency and had to cut our travel plans short by two days and Debbie was wonderful and accommodating our needs.

The room we had was very nice and clean, but we did not venture out around the area too much. The outside area is really nice for children to play and barbeque and I understand very close to the ocean.

Wish we could have stayed the week-end.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Plainfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here during Memorial Day Weekend last year and there was no question where I would be staying on a return trip this year. Debbie is so friendly and helpful. The rooms are immaculate. I was in a 2 double bed efficiency both times. Having the kitchen with full fridge is a real plus. The Surfside is very close to Route 1 and after staying at large hotels it is nice to park the car, walk a few steps and be in the room. There are chairs and a picnic table with grill outside each room on the lower level. Private and quiet. I am looking forward to returning again next year!

Ridgefield, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Easy on and off from Route 1. Brought our dog so I loved that I didn't have to worry about her getting hit while she did her ablutions in the morning because there is a nice little patch of grass that wasn't near the road. Close to a Dunkin Donuts for morning coffee. Loved having a little fridge to keep some water and fruit cold. Great location as we headed out for a day in Newport and it was only 25 minutes away. We got to the Breakers before it opened at 9 and avoided all the traffic in town which came later after we had parked. yay! Will definitely come back when the weather is nice and take advantage of the outdoor grills and picnic tables to have dinner after a day on the beach.

Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We came up for a weekend getaway to the Nordic Lodge. I was not looking for a big place to stay in. So I used Trip Planner. And I read all of the reviews. Even though the reviews were good. I still was apprehensive. Motels are always associated as being seedy, dirty places. When I arrived it was so cute and quaint. No one was in the office so I rang the bell and the most pleasant voice came over it. Debbie rushed down to the office. I told her I had to use the restroom. In 3 minutes I was checked in and walked into the cutest little room I have ever seen. It was so clean and neat. I loved the colors. The reviews did not do it any justice. I have never stayed anyplace that was so clean. I mean it was clean! Anyway It was really not what I expected. They provide you with BBQ grills and picnic tables. The only complaint I did have was the size of the shower. It was way to small. But everything else was so perfect! I will be back!

Room Tip: Clean! Clean! Clean! Not your ordinary Motel! And friendly staff!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm City, Fla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked this hotel for 1 night during a house hunting trip. We were arriving after midnight but that was no problem as they arranged for the room to be ready.

Know what you are buying. This is an old hotel like a holiday inn of the 50's. The room has a flat screen and a refrig. The shower is so tiny I had problems getting in and out. Having said that the room was clean, the bed comfortable and it was very quiet.

It fit our needs perfectly. We bought a house and will stay here during the renovations!

Room Tip: Room 1 was perfect for the 2 of us.
toddbc, Manager at The Surfside Motel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and your review. I'm glad everything worked out for you and you had no trouble with your late arrival. We do try to make things as easy as possible especially for those with that situation. I'm also glad that you found the room clean, comfortable and quiet. We look forward to seeing you in the future when you are going thru house renovations. I will be more than happy to assist you at that time.
Debbie

Been to The Surfside Motel? Share your experiences!