“Great Little Escape !!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Surfside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Surfside Motel
You added The Surfside Motel to your Saves list
334 Narrow Lane, Charlestown, RI 02813   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
CT
“Great Little Escape !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This past weekend my husband and I decided on a whim to get away for the night and bring our little dog. We found the Surfside Motel and called Debby saturday morning and they had one night available for a great rate so we headed up from CT. They only charge $25 for our pet too, so it was perfect for us.
The motel was clean and just what we needed - flat screen tv, little kitchen and AC. Its also in a great location - close to all the beaches, liquor store and "The Cove" restaurant.
The carpets are on the only thing that could use improvements -they should think about tile since this is a beach motel. I didnt want to walk on them with my bare feet.
Otherwise we would recommend and come back next summer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Haworth, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I just had a great little getaway with my 3 kids and stayed 2 nights. It was just what we needed. Perfect location, nice amenities and a very warm and helpful manager. The room seemed very clean but the smell from the dirty carpet was almost too much to bear. I was thankful I had some Febreze in the car. After airing out the room and many doses of Febreze it was bearable enough to sleep in but the smell lingered until day 3, when we were checking out. It did not impact what otherwise was a great trip, as we were hardly in the room. I recommend - but bring Febreze!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here twice during the summer for a total of five nights. Made a third reservation for mid-September for one night. Was told by Debby that for that night the motel was "wide open". Unfortunately my plans changed three days later and I called to cancel the reservation. Was told at that point that there would be a $50 cancellation charge. I mentioned to Debby that I felt the charge was a bit extreme as I had just made the reservation three days prior and was giving the Surfside plenty of time to re-book the room. I then asked if she could ask the owner if the charge could be waived and to call me to let me know his decision. Never received a call. The credit on my Visa (minus the fifty dollars) is apparently my answer.
Too bad about the draconian policy...it really tarnished an otherwise fairly pleasant memory. Two other negatives: the shower curtain was moldy and the walls were paper thin. Will definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in Newport instead!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montgomery,Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed at the Surfside for five nights in august .Room was very clean and comfortable,location could not be better.Short ride to beaches and resturants ....Debbie the manager will take care of you like family...........Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ossining, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Surfside for 4 nights in August 2012. Overall we were quite pleased with this hotel. The room was cheerful and bright, and the motel is close to Route 1 and just a few minutes car ride from Charlestown Beach. Our room had a small kitchen which made it convenient to keep and reheat leftovers. It is also walking distance to Dunkin Donuts, a mini market, pizza place, pharmacy, bank, and ice cream stand. Several farm stands are also nearby.

While we could occasionally hear our neighbors, the walls were not as thin as others have claimed. The caretaker is rarely in the office but lives onsite and is friendly and accessible. The rooms are a little small and the carpets could use a shampooing, but overall our stay was quite pleasant!

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

If i say how great our stay was I'm afraid it will be hard to book for next year! Really....a very clean and comfortable place to stay. 16 of us stayed in 7 rooms and we're all coming back, hopefully with even more next year! Excellent location for food and beverage runs and close to the beach. Debbie was amazing and made sure we had everything we needed! Couldn't have asked for anything more!

• Stayed July 2012
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

CONS:
Overpriced. You are mostly paying for location.

The shower is made for children and/or little people. I had to stick half my body out of it in order to shave.

The room is tiny and the walls are paper thin. There was also no closet (they had an Kmart looking unit attached to the wall to hang up your clothes), a busted dresser, and no iron.

The rooms are non-smoking. There is a porch with a table area, but you are so close to your neighbors if they happen to be out there at the same time, there is no privacy whatsoever.

PROS: Great location near the beach and restaurants. Westerly, RI is not too far away. Clean. WiFi. Debbie, the office manager, is very nice and lives on site.

If you are the type of person who barely stays in your room, then the cons won't really matter.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Surfside Motel? Share your experiences!