“Best Vacation Ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of General Stanton Inn

General Stanton Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlestown
General Stanton Inn
You added General Stanton Inn to your Saves list
4115 Old Post Road, Charlestown, RI 02813   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Charlestown B&B and Inns
New York, New York
“Best Vacation Ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at The General Stanton Inn for our anniversary. My husband called ahead and worked with the Innkeeper (Elysia) who arranged to have flowers and wine in our room upon arrival. She gave us the room which she said she gives to honeymooners which is lovely. The room was clean, fresh smelling and spacious. Everyone on the staff from the maintenance person to the housekeepers were accomodating and friendly. I highly recommend this Inn for everyone

• Liked — Friendly Service and lovely room
  • Disliked — I had to go home
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

My husband and I stayed here 1 (Saturday) night because he had a bike race in the area. When we arrived, the door out front that was labeled 'Guest Registration" was locked. After wandering around a bit, we found the Tavern door which was apparently the gateway to the new Registration room. We walked into a smoke -filled back room with two obviously disinterested women who I suppose were the Innkeepers. We paid for our room and got a key. The room was decent - the linens seemed fresh, the room clean besides the small blood smears on the back of the door - ew!

We attempted to eat at the restaurant that night, but were again frustrated by locked doors, even thought they were labeled as entrances. At this point I was starting to get pissed. The sign out front said the restaurant was open from 4pm onwards, and it was quarter of 7 on a Saturday night. Do they not want customers? Anyway , we gave up and ate somewhere else.

The night was fine - we slept well; the bed was comfortable and it wasn't noisy. The next morning we discovered there was no information about when we had to check out by, or how. We packed up everything by 9:30 am, packed up the car, and then I tried to figure out how to return the key and check out. No one was in the office; the door was locked. I walked around the entire building three times (looking for a dropbox at least) and in the process met another couple that was attempting to check out too, and couldn't figure out how . Finally I gave up - we just locked the key in our room and left.

So overall, the room wasn't bad, but it really seemed like the people who run the place are totally disinterested in actually doing anything, ever. I sit here wondering if they're going to call me and try to charge me because I never officially checked out - even though I tried diligently!

So I wouldn't say it's awful, but be prepared for no service.

• Liked — The room was fairly nice
  • Disliked — Too expensive for what it was! And no service at all.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
elmira, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

First and foremost: do NOT stay at the Inn on a Tuesday night. On Tuesdays the restaurant/bar area is closed and subsequently, there is absolutely NO ONE WORKING at the hotel after 5pm.
In fact, we stayed on a Tuesday and discovered that we were the only guests on the property. Our cable went out, we didn't have toilet paper, there was no phone to call anyone for help and no number to call. The owners are obviously much more concerned with operating their restaurant than their inn, which seems like an afterthought.

Over the course of three days we had to complain multiple times about broken shower doors, lack of towels, etc. A maid came into our room at some point to make the beds but neglected to take out the overflowing garbage can. I suppose this place is one step up from a tent at a camp ground in the rain. If you are heading to Charlestown, even for part of a week, look into renting a cottage instead!

• Liked — location--it is close to the beach
  • Disliked — no service! I was actually scared when I realize no one else was at the hotel with us!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2005

The Falcone's owned this historic hotel/restaurant when I visited. The Falcone's were voices for the local Indian tribe in which I also visited. Joseph Stanton is currently buried here and his ancestry is from Nottingham, England. History states he negotiated and saved an Indian Princess (Block Island) and educated Indian children on the premises. Sachem rewarded him. A flea market today abutts the burial ground. The Inn is near Bess Eaton's! Very historic and entertaining!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

Where do I begin? From the initial "checking in", noone was in the office, had to wait to before checking in, felt like it was an imposition being there. After that, the noise level during the evening hours was out of control. It's nice that they offer entertainment, but this was supposed to be a quiet weekend away and all we heard was Staff and doors slamming until all hours of the night.
Next morning, I had to ask for my own coffee and menu at breakfast.
If you are in the service industry, you should at least make an attempt to please your customers. This place had zero service skills. No one gave us the basic orientation of the Inn, nor did they seem to even care.
Parking also was ridiculous...getting to your room with any type of luggage was a maze. Please do not stay here.
For the price, they clearly did not make you feel special or that you were even on vacation!

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2005

Small inn close to many attractions around Charlestown. Inn has significant history, but none is truly captured in rooms. Rooms are basic, functional like any other roadside motel, except no phones in rooms (no Front Desk, etc to call for assistance anyway). Rooms have clean, functional bathrooms, cable TV with larger-than-average sized TVs as a plus.

Noise is significant problem, from cars travelling on adjacent highway to tavern employees taking smoking breaks on the porch by the rooms. Also poor noise insulation between rooms, especially between upper and lower floors.

Most significant complaint, however, is that when the receptionist was told the following morning about excessive noise that occurred at 4 a.m., her response was, "Why didn't you tell me about [the noise] then?" Our responses were that 1) there was no phone to call her to alert her about the noise, and 2) we were not about to exit our room and potentially run into the strangers making the disturbances. Last but not least, when we went to the main reception area at 7:30 a.m. to see if there was coffee, the front door was locked even though the receptionist denied that it was locked.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to General Stanton Inn? Share your experiences!