“Great Time at the Willows Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Willows Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Willows Resort
You added The Willows Resort to your Saves list
1 RI-216, Charlestown, RI 02813   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
CT
“Great Time at the Willows Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

This place is in a wonderful location. Room was spacious and bed was comfortable. I stayed in the main building. Free use of boats and game room. Breakfast was good.
The hotel could use some updating but is better than most in the area. Very convenient to East Beach. Nice beach that is less crowded than others.
Had a good time here and plan on going back.
Room was clean. Staff was helpful and nice.
Could use some better bedding. Bedspread was very old looking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We spent two nights - booked based on the location despite some negative reviews. We were very pleaseed with our accomodations. Our room was NOT musty, the view was beautiful, staff outstanding, pool clean, rooms clean and the lcoation was the best. Free use of kayaks and canoes, coffee in the am made this perfect. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get awy and be near the water.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

The Willows has been a steady and solid choice for my wife and me for the past decade. We come to the Willows from Eastern, CT as a short respite from the grind of daily life. Although our trip is only 60 miles to get here, we feel transported to a place that feels as if it has been forever exiled to the mid 20th century. If it were not for the cars in the parking lot, one could truly believe it was the 1950's at the Willows. Here lies the rub. Some reviews that I've happened upon detail antiquated rooms and complaints of poor accommodations. My wife and I can say as frequent travelers (I'm a Marriott Rewards Platinum member) that the rooms we have stayed in have always been clean and fresh and a good night's sleep. Have we seen bugs? Yes. Have we looked at something that could use a touch up job? Yes. Have we seen about eight different varieties of animals in the massive back field? Yes!!! And that right there is about worth half the cost we pay for the room. Sitting on the back deck at night and enjoying the cool breeze from the nearby cove and ocean and watching coyote, rabbits, fox, possum to name a few all hanging out and doing their animal thing is about as good as it gets. I swear it's like a zoo back in the field. Side note-This is the Tennis Court Villa rooms that I'm referring to when I see the animals. Another side note-I stay primarily at the Tennis Court Villa rooms, so I can't speak for the efficiencies but I've also stayed at the hotel rooms near the office and they offer a quaint view of the cove although the rooms are smaller but still clean and fresh. About the hosts, Scott and Lauren Duhamel, they are just plain good folks. No pretense about them and they've always cared very well for my wife and me. For anyone who cares about a good local historical perspective, the Willows is your place. Learn about the history of the Duhamel family and how the Willows came to be, the WW II vets in the Duhamel family, South County RI's rural roots, the famous Willows Clambake and it will add to anyone's appreciation of this resort. The swimming pool is one of my favorite hang outs. It's big, it's clean and it offers a chance to meet many great people from around the Northeast and beyond. I talked football with a guy from New Jersey and a dad from CT for about an hour two days ago. Great stuff and it happens all the time.
Take time to appreciate the Willows for being what it is supposed to be. To my wife and me that means a step back in time to a quieter and more rural place where mints on the pillow don't exist, where fancy restaurants are not nearby but where several RI beaches are minutes away and where one can remember the days when their parents would echo fond memories of the simple life when vacations were not meant to be "luxurious" but meant to be with good people in a good, decent and healthy environment.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Newton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Stayed at the Willows with our three kids. We got an efficiency that was facing their pond. The room was a too small for all 5 of us. I went to the front desk and the woman working it(didn't get her name, but she had a tat on her forearem) was extremely helpful and really nice. In the midst of taking call after call from people booking rooms over the phone she moved us to an apartment in front of the pool. (for an extra $80/night) but it was worth it at the time. This place has really nice grounds, beautiful view of the pond, well groomed large lawns and a pool that is maintained and very clean. However, the rooms are disgusting. Our room smelled like someone literally died in it. It was damp and musty. The entire area of Charlestown, RI needs a higher end hotel or just a clean one. If someone was willing to sink about $4 million into this place, it would be a great location for a nice, clean family resort. Willows is a creepy place that could be fantastic....with a major complete upgrade of facilities.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

First off we've not experienced any bad service or attitude from the staff like in below reviews. While the Willows is certainly not the Ritz it is what it is and that is a place to sleep near the beach - saving you a trip home on the weekend between beach days.

We have stayed several times in the newer ? building farthest from the office. This building has a more modern feel in the room than the rooms attached to Office (stayed there once) These rooms kitchenettes - small fridge, microwave and bar sink.

My kids enjoy the pool every time and have fun with the ping pong tables and pool. They have shuffle board and tennis on site as well should you feel like some freindly outdoor competition. This weekend when I was checking out a mom and her 2 kids were signing out a loaner canoe and all the gear to explore the pond.

In addition to the room I described there are larger rooms and cabins, as well as weekly only rooms closer to the water. If you are a kayaker/canoe user it does appear the body of water connects to Ninigrit pond and directly across is a BEAUTIFUL 3 mile stretch of beach you could reach easily - landing on the backside and walking over.

We've had mixed experiences at the restaurant - chose to stay away this time. If your watching the clock beware service was slow on a couple breakfast occasions. Dinner seemed pricey for what you got.

We give the lovely state of RI $100 for an out of state vehicle pass to access a sand trail that gets you to this beach. Just can't get into the crowds at other RI beaches.....

Watch Hill is a short ride but good luck finding parking - this weekend at noon all lots were full and there was bumper to bumper traffic fighting for 2 hour on street spots. We drove through 5 times and gave up.

This place has worked out good for us when all of a sudden on Weds/Thursday the weekend looks great and you want to spend both days at the beach without having to come home.

Bring bug spray if you plan on being outside by the water or pool especially at/after dusk

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We decided to make an impromptu trip to the Rhode Island beaches for the weekend, and as we began to call Motels located by our GPS, it became evident that everywhere was sold out. Everywhere except the Willows. I guess now, I can understand why, as the place is an example of what happens when a motel doesn't get needed improvements through the decades from when they were first built. They had two rooms left, and the one we got was lots more expensive than it was worth. Imagine a 1950's ranch house next door to a 1960's motel building. Yes, they divided the old ranch house into 3 motel rooms!
Our room was originally the dining room of the ranch house, and it was clear not much had been done to improve the place in the past 35 years or so. It would have been acceptable if the price had been the same as it was in 1974 too, I think.
Next day, we went to the motel restaurant at 9:30 for the Sunday breakfast, and the food didn't arrive until 10:30. I think an hour is too long to wait for breakfast, so I can't recommend their restaurant either. I wish I could say good things, as the area doesn't have many places to stay, and deserves better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Darien, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

My husband and I went to the Willows for over 25 years and we met other couples there who were also repeaters for many many years. It is famly owned and operated. The friendliness, ambience, service cannot be surpassed. It is near to other places of interest such as Mystic, Newport, Fox Woods. We were both hardworking people who wanted some place to go and be assured that it would be peaceful and relaxing. We were never disappointed. We are older now and unable to travel because of health reasons but are still in touch with the family who own and run this wonderful and personable establishment.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to The Willows Resort? Share your experiences!