“a gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Willows Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
Tyngsboro, Ma
“a gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is an unassuming place you would not likely swerve off the road to engage. My stay was in shoulder season when the restaurant was already closed and the resort was not so busy. It is the serenity of the place that attracts me. There is an expansive lawn with a pond only a stone's throw away. A family of contented groundhogs live there and I must admit spending much time watching them graze. A fearless Osprey circled the pond, often coming very close. There are egrets and blue herons everywhere. Many huge willow trees are in the yard. The weather was good so we were able to spend a lot of time sitting out in the yard just enjoying everything going on with the wildlife. We were a sea kayaking group, and there is a convenient dock on the premises where we had an easy launch. The pond is actually a tiny portion of the miles long Ninigret pond, that is an excellent protected place to paddle. Ocean waves can be heard on the other side of a narrow sandbar and birdlife is much evident along the wildlife sanctuary.

The room and building was very plain, but perfectly kept and had a wonderful view of the pond right out the picture window. Everything worked as one would expect and was completely spotless. Beds were firm to a fault, shower head was excellent, and bathroom was nicely tiled. Was a little surprised there were no shampoo samples, but soaps were there. If you are looking for a good place to relax and enjoy very pleasant grounds and wildlife, look no further.

Room Tip: The low building in front of the pond was a good choice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Watertown, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have been going to RI forever...I have no idea why we never tried the Willows. First of all the owners and staff are WONDERFUL!!!! The grounds are kept just beautiful. We had a efficiency right across from the pool, beautiful patio with a picnic table. My son and his family and my daughter in laws family were also there. Having the efficiency was the best!! We all hug out there every night.
We have kyak's and Fosters Cove is just beautiful. My husband and I kyacked through the cove into the salt pond. We pulled the kyak's on shore and walked over the the beach!!!!
They have a paddle boat, kyak's, canoe's and Sun Fishes to use. My grandaughter loved the tennis court and shuffle board.
I would recommend the Willows to anyone! No it's no Marriott, but it is clean and wonderful. We will never stay anywhere except the Willows!!! Thank you to the Duhamel family and staff!
Hope to see you in Sept.
Carol
Watertown, CT

Room Tip: Our room was 131 and I would ask for that one again!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The willows for the price is way over rated. The buildings are old and need work. The dock is old and falling apart. The restaurants service is poor and the food marginal. We did some research and found next year we could do much better for less money elsewhere. Good luck!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed at the Willows for 2 nights in the middle of September for a wedding. We stayed in a separated building (near the tennis courts) a distance away from the main check-in building. We got there late at night and the roads were not very well lighted. The rooms themselves were quite large and clean, with two queen size beds, a small refrig and a nice deck overlooking the grounds.
You park right outside your room. This hotel had quite the variety of accommodations and the staff at check in were very pleasant. This hotel has tennis courts, a heated pool and a small pond with free canoe rentals. It also has a small restaurant, which we never checked out. The Willows was comfortable and surely a popular place in the summer with the close proximity to the ocean.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
West Haven, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Spent two nights in late August with my husbands whole family-29 total ranging in age from 2 -76 years of age. When you drive up it does look dated and checking in can be a chore. But once you get past all of that it really wasn't so bad. I never really noticed a musty smell and if anyone else did they didn't mention it. We were in the furthest building but we had 9 rooms so it worked out well for what we needed. The kids loved all of the room to run around along with the lake for fishing or kayaking. The pool and the pool area were clean and spacious enough to accomodate all of us. But be sure to bring bug spray!! Very buggy day or night. It was a great place for all of us to just hang out, catch up and relax.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Basic motel type accommodations near Ninigret Park. Prices are a bit inflated, but so are others in the area. Pleasant restaurant for breakfast, with a lake view. Extra sink and small refrigerator in room. Bring your own hair dryer and shampoo. They only supply soap.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We just got back from our first trip to RI. Chose Willows for price and the grounds sounded nice and decided to chance the room (due to neg. reviews) We are a family of 4 with 2 young boys and I really wanted to take them to the ocean. The first impression of the office is a bit dreary and yes, dated. The front desk person very friendly and helpful. The "resort" is quite spread out and our room was in the furthest building. Yes, dated, BUT large and clean and a pretty view of meadow and a balcony. I actually did go back to office tho to see if there were any rooms avail. that were closer to the amenities, and she very nicely checked and even gave me key to go look to see if I would prefer this room...and then I smelled what folks in previous reviews talked about--this room had a very strong odor that i guess you would call musty and if that was the room I was given and my only choice, I would not have been happy at all. Needless to say, we happily kept our room (which FYI is described by overlooking the tennis courts I believe) The pool was very nice and clean and a nice temp. Did not try the restaurant or get out on the boats, but the motels location very near beaches. All in all it worked out great for us!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Willows Resort? Share your experiences!