“Fascinating, and a must see for anyone in South County, RI” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Converted barns which now house shops of local craftspeople.
Northampton, Massachusetts
24 attraction reviews
“Fascinating, and a must see for anyone in South County, RI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Arts, crafts, animals, gardens, food, greenhouse/nursery, etc, etc, etc.

Not much to do in Southern RI, unless you are a beach person, but this place is one a of a kind.

Really hard to describe.

Visited July 2013

Northampton, Massachusetts, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Come Under the Umbrella's Spell”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

For 25 years my husband and I have been going to Charlestown, RI for summer getaways along Watchaug Pond, and to be married in nearby Weekapaug. And for each of those years, we have never failed to stop and shop at the most whimsical (and most historic) artists cooperatives in America. The Fantastic Umbrella Factory is a multi-layered delight of lavish gardens and statuary, free roaming exotic birds, bubbling fountains, and crafts and crafts and crafts. From hand-wrought instruments and tie dye beach wear to sparkling jewelry and the coolest retro sunglasses anywhere, to the General Store's chockfull shelves of costumes, curioisities and whatnots, this is a piece of South County not to be missed. Hungry? The cafe will answer all menu -- including vegan -- needs. Parking is plentiful. And you're just minutes from the beach. What's not to love? The Factory is as fantastical as its name implies. Bring the family. Come back forever.

Visited July 2013
Warwick, Rhode Island
“nice place for the family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Its a little place with trails to follow that lead to plants to buy or just look at..small nic nac stores with farm animals to pet and feed(great for kids)

Visited June 2013
Groton, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
“Fun, interesting, and unique....here are the goods and bads”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Being a military family, we were stationed in Rhode Island for a few years. My last year there, some friends took my daughter and I to the Fantastic Umbrella Factory after a Girl Scout camping weekend. I remember wondering how I had never heard of it. I am back living in the CT area now and wanted to take my girls and my mother for a visit. It was definitely a hit. There were chickens, guinea hens, ducks, and geese wandering the property. In the back there are goats and emus. You can buy food and feed them all, which the kids loved. We browsed through the general store, small axe , the artisans, and frills. We came during our spring break on a Wednesday. The café was closed as well as Axiom. We decided to come back on Sunday when the café was open and try to catch the other shop as well. On Sunday, we enjoyed a nice simple breakfast. The café is adorable and cozy and the food and service was very good. However, Axiom was supposed to open at 10am and we noticed the sign on the door had been changed to 12pm. When I asked about it, I was told that they hadn't opened Friday or Saturday either. They are supposed to be open from Friday-Sunday. A phone call was made and we were told they would open but they were running late. We had already come back a second time and waited so we decided to leave. Disappointing, because I was interested in the soy candles. I would definitely come back again. We bought lots of fun imports, the prices were very reasonable, and the staff was friendly. The website needs to be updated though. Some of the information was incorrect. Also, we saw a duck that looked injured on our first trip and the same duck again on the second trip. He might be a rescue so I don't want to make any assumptions. But it was upsetting to my kids, so maybe a little sign or something to reassure patrons that he is okay? I would recommend this place, and I think kids and teens will enjoy as well. My girls are 10 and 12.

Visited April 2013
Koloa, Hawaii
7 attraction reviews
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Fantastic Umbrella Factory is like a step back to the 70's, when there were hippies and communes. Great shopping, unique gifts, fun place to visit for the whole family! Animals to see and garden plants for sale. Bring a lunch or try the restaurant.

Visited August 2012