“Delicious Homemade Meals” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Delicious Homemade Meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

What a find! Don't be put off by it's location or lack of curb appeal. The Gooding Grill is such a nice surprise. My Haddock Romano was so fresh and delicious and the mashed potatoes were real. One of the partners Brendan told us that the fish is from Nick's and they make every effort to use fresh local ingredients. The menu is extensive and not at all limited to what might expect to find at a grill. The chocolate and blueberry bread pudding was served warm and was outstanding.

The offer a great early bird special from 5 pm to 6 pm.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston, Massachusetts
“WOW! Fantastic Food! I Found a New Home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

In the past 4 weeks I have been to the Gooding Grill 3 times for three different meals and three fantastic experiences. Experience #1 was for lunch and a friend recommended it so we went. I noticed the lunch baskets and went with the shrimp and fries. I was amazed...no greasy taste or feel yet crispy. The shrimp had a light coating which allowed the taste and texture of the shrimp to come through and the fries were just right. The side of cole slaw was tasty and I devoured the whole meal and was very happy. My friend had a sandwich but to be honest I don't remember which one though know she was pleased. I think her one comment was wishing she could substitute out the potato for a side salad but otherwise great.

Experience #2 was the Easter Brunch. A very impressive spread that went from the basic scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries, pancakes (or was it it french toast...I can't remember), mini muffins, turkey with stuffing, grilled salmon, baked fish, rice, homemade cookies (the chocolate chocolate chip cookie was out of this world!! A rich chocolate taste not too over powering and a great consistency.) And also homemade cannoli's..very good and I am Italian and these out did any I ever bought at a bakery. We were greated by the Hostess (Gail) who made me feel as if we just walked into a favorite Aunt's house for a family dinner. She moved quietly back and forth through the rooms setting tables and seating guest and always with a smile. Our server (Brendan I believe) was very friendly and was quick to re-fill drinks and clear away plates without being asked. As we left I met one of the owners and told her what a wonderful treat this was and I planned to be back for dinner.

Experience #3 one week after Easter I went back for dinner. We had no reservations but the same hostess from Easter was there, remembered us and quickly seated us. Now this part is important. We had to get into Bristol for an 8pm concert and arrived at the Gooding Grille at around 6:40pm. We explained our timing to the hostess who said "No problem. I'll let your server know". The server (I think it was Clare) appeared quickly acknowledged she knew of our timing, took the drink order and by the time she was back we were ready to order our meal. She was great in making suggestions and answering my questions (I usually have many and with a menu as diverse as this one I had a hard time deciding so had a few questions). We both wound up choosing the Steak Tips and Jumbo Stuffed Shrimp with baked potatoe. The food arrived at the right time perfectly done. I will admit I was a bit sad that the portion of steak tips was not bigger (I am used to the mound of them you get at Not Your Avergae Joes). But then I took one bite and was in heaven. I finally understood what someone said years ago that being served a large quantity of food doesn't always get you quality...THIS was QUALITY!!! The steak tips were just as I like them, crunchy outside, tender inside and VERY flavorful. The shrimped turned out to be grilled not stuffed but I'm glad as it allowed me to taste the shrimp itself which was firm, with a lite coating that allowed the flavor of the shrimp to come through. The vegetable turned out to be a mix of sauteed tomatoes with green and yellow squash...it was the first thing I tasted and it knocked me over with the freshness of the vegetables, the texture (yes I'm big on texture) and just the right seasonings. We ate leisurely and left with more than enough time and a promise to be back at 10pm for dessert. We were told the kitchen would be closed but as we wanted the Bourbon Pecan Pie they said that was easy to do.

We arrived back at 10:20pm and we met another of the owners (Brandon I think..I was getting it confused with Brendon the server from Easter :) He was about to say they were closed but I told him we were there earlier and told we could come back from dessert. He welcomed us with a smile and a seat at the bar. One of the chefs was sitting at the bar after a long night cooking but he want back in to plate up the pie for us and we tried one of their $5 Martinis (I can't remember the name but it was GREAT!). The pie came with the dollop of whipped cream, mint leaf and sprinking of powdered sugar and the pie itself (it was not made on site) was very good. The filling was tasty, not overly sweet and loaded with pecans and the crust had a nice flakiness to it. We had the chance to talk with Brandon and the chef and I felt so comfortable, so at home, that I want to go there again and again and again. I heard about the upcoming changes they are doing and I think this great place will be even better. True it is not downtown, it is not by the water, but it has so many wonderful things going for it from the people who own it, those that work there, the food and the atmosphere. I wish them the greatest luck with this place and am already planning my next visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Swansea, Massachusetts
“Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We at there on a Saturday night around 5:00. There was no wait, and the hostess was very friendly. The kids menu was great - fish and chips, hamburger, pasta, etc. Cheap ($5) and included drink and dessert. Lots of variety on the adult menu - salads, sandwiches, chicken, steak, seafood, pizza. Portions were large and prices were decent. My husband wasn't impressed with the feta cheese or olives on his Greek salad, but to be fair he is used to authentic Greek food. Overall, nice restaurant with good food and pleasant staff - we will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
“Great food and specials!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We came for lunch on Friday and were not disappointed. I had the fried scallop basket and the BF had the whole belly fried clam basket. The portions were plentiful and non-greasy. I had 9 big scrumptious scallops and BF had a mountain of succulent clams. The atmosphere was great and Steve, the owner, was very friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Great new restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The menu is extensive, it was hard to choose. I settled for the fish and chips, as the waitress said they were not greasy. She was right, perfectly cooked haddock with a thin crust, just right. I will be back.

• Visited February 2014