“Great food and specials!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 79 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: American
Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
“Great food and specials!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We came for lunch on Friday and were not disappointed. I had the fried scallop basket and the BF had the whole belly fried clam basket. The portions were plentiful and non-greasy. I had 9 big scrumptious scallops and BF had a mountain of succulent clams. The atmosphere was great and Steve, the owner, was very friendly.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great new restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The menu is extensive, it was hard to choose. I settled for the fish and chips, as the waitress said they were not greasy. She was right, perfectly cooked haddock with a thin crust, just right. I will be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Decent first impression”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I'll start by saying that I will definitely return here. The Mac n cheese I had was great, my fiancé had Italian sausage pizza and loved it, our friends shared a buffalo chicken pizza, not so great however. There was no hint of buffalo sauce at all and the bleu cheese was extremely over powering. Our waitress was extremely rude and seemed it seemed like she wanted no part of us. She would rush to deliver our food and drinks so she could go back and lean on the bar with other coworkers. The owner was extremely nice as he treated us when we arrived and held the door for us on our way out. Absolutely worth a shot if you have a good waitress and choose the right food.

Visited February 2014
Warren, Rhode Island
“Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Been there twice. Good selection of food and service is great. Good menu selection. Will go back soon.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Just opened and already very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Within a week of Gooding Grille opening I heard wonderful things about the food. I visited with a friend and asked the bartender how long they had been opened. I was there on their 15th day open, so still very new. It was a Friday night and the place was packed. A short wait for a table but we were able to sit right away at the bar. I would have liked to have had a nice Riesling wine but since they didn't have any on the menu went for a bottle of the house pinto grigio. I was pleasantly surprised that the house was a decent wine as I sometimes find new restaurants go for a very low end house wine that is barely drinkable.
The menu is fantastic and I had a hard time settling on an entree because there were so many things I wanted to try. While reviewing the entrees we decided to start with a couple of appetizers. We ordered the stuffed mushrooms and the Portuguese stuffed quahogs. It took quite a while for our appetizers to arrive, but since they were just opened we were patient and I expect wait times to decrease with more time in business. The stuffed mushrooms were excellent, 4 in the dish. Fortunately there was only 2 of us dining as there were 2 large mushrooms and 2 smaller ones. Had we split this with a party of 4 it would have been a little unbalanced. But in this situation it worked fine. I will certainly order those again. The quahogs were not good. The stuffing didn't seem to complement the quahog flavor. There were two quahogs and neither of us could finish one. I do wish the bartender had noticed that neither of us enjoyed those and had asked us about them. But he was very busy and didn't. Since they've only been open a short time I expect to see improvement in these areas.
We were almost done with our appetizers by the time we were able to order our entrees. I ordered the Mt. Hope Steak. It was cooked perfectly, medium rare should have a nice pink/red middle but not be cold on the inside and it was just right. The blue cheese bacon topping was delicious and the perfect compliment to a perfectly cooked steak. Toppings like this can either be too much and overwhelm the steak or underwhelming and leave you wanting more. In this case it was just right to enjoy the flavor. I was highly impressed with the presentation, flavor and portion. I do wish there had been grilled asparagus or something along those lines to compliment the steak, instead I had a vegetable medley of sorts that did nothing to enhance the steak flavor. The baked potato was cooked correctly, but the butter and sour cream were on the side. I would prefer that it be on the potato but that won't keep me from ordering again.
My friend ordered the Seafood Provencal. The first thing I noticed with her entree was the size. No skimpy portions here. The seafood tasted fresh, not overcooked and well flavored. This was a delicious entree, well balanced. She was able to take more than half home for a 2nd meal. I would highly suggest this entree to other patrons.
My friend had an apple crisp for dessert and enjoyed that thoroughly. I skipped dessert as I had enjoyed the steak so much I was stuffed. When I return I'd love to see a creme brulee on the dessert menu but if they do not add that I will try the cheesecake.
Overall I was highly impressed. The chefs obviously know what they are doing and have expertise in balancing food so that the ingredients compliment each other. We waited longer than I would like for each course but I do believe that will improve with more time open. The bartender was efficient in drink making but very busy, if their volume keeps up they may need to consider a service bar but the actual bar area is small so this will be difficult. I expect and hope to see this be a new favorite in Bristol and I look forward to my 2nd visit.

• Visited January 2014