“Great Beer and Nice Pub Environment” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 76 restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Westport, Connecticut
“Great Beer and Nice Pub Environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I really enjoy coming to British Beer Company. I come here for the beer, the live music, the friendly staff, and the nice environment. They have a wonderful list of beers on tap, and bring a British Beer Company, there are beers on tap that aren't found at Finns or Aidans. They have a small selection of food, a few pies that you can order and some appetizers. The food, when I've ordered it, was good.
The pub is nice on the inside. Ever since J.R. Bean's closed, I'd say British Beer Company has the most realistic looking pub interior. The walls and bar are a nice dark wood, and all in all, it looks like a British pub. Its small, but there are plenty of tables, a nice fireplace, and a pleasant bathroom. There are various beer related quotes on the wall, and they lend to an easy going atmosphere. Though there is live music often, this isn't a dancing sort of place and its nice to have that as an option. There will always be dancing at Aidans and Finns, its nice to have a good non-dancing bar too.
Also, it must be said that the staff are friendly. I never have a problem, even on a busy night, to approach the bar, get someone to see me and place my order. They can keep tabs as well, and that's a nice thing if you want to order more than one drink. In the past, when you ordered a beer, they would give you cheezits or something to eat while you drink, which is pretty thoughtful. I remember one of the first couple times I went, they used to have a popcorn machine, though they no longer do. That was nice too.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
“Great place, had a blast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Went for lunch on a Saturday, right around opening time. We had our choice of tables and picked a nice sunny spot by the window. Menu is small, pies (chicken, steak, shepherds') with mashed potatoes, a few sandwiches and soup of the day. Everything was delicious and they had over 20 beers on tap! I couldn't finish my meal and had it boxed to go. They even gave me a small container of gravy and little butter packet to go. Such a nice surprise when I went to eat my leftovers. Love it! Definitely return next time I'm in Bristol.

Bristol, Rhode Island
“For a good time, don't go here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My girlfriends and I decided to stop here on a Saturday night. One drink in, the bartender told us we were too loud and asked us to leave. He became so frustrated with us when we defended ourselves while we gathered our belongings, he yelled at us and took our drinks off the bar! We are all in our 30's and 40's, hardly the trouble-maker type. We were under the impression that it was ok to laugh and have fun at a bar. If you're looking to have a good time, save your time and money, head down the street to Finn's or Aiden's instead, where the bartenders are friendly and like to see their patrons having fun. I live in Bristol, and will never set foot in there again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Mmmm beer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had no idea this was a chain- it totally has a home town pub feel. Kevin the bartender was one of the best! He knows his beer and is really enthusiastic about sharing his love for his craft (pun intended). Food was delicious- husband had one of their famous pies (tender and flavorful meat inside a buttery crust) and I had one of the daily board specials of shrimp wrapped in bacon- it had a little kick which complimented my beer. We came in to escape the heat and we found a true gem. Can't wait for my next trip to Bristol and to try some new beers.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Annapolis, Maryland
“Craft Beer and Good Eats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I stopped at the British Brewing Company after watching the Bristol 4th of July parade (an excellent experience itself!). Kind of ironic, visiting a British-themed pub on Independence Day.

The first thing to draw my attention was the 18 beers on tap, most of which I’d never tasted. So I set off on my local craft brew sampling tour. The bartender recommended the Mayflower IPA, brewed in Plymouth MA, and it was a nice, refreshing, hoppy IPA. I also tried the Berkshire Brewing Company’s Pilsner, from South Deerfield MA. My wife went for the Newport Storm Blueberry Beer, which they augmented with a spoonful of fresh blueberries in the pint glass. Curious about a particular brew? They’re glad to give you a sample to help you decide.

Lots of options for food, ranging from traditional British meat pies and Shepherd’s Pie to some trendier offerings. My wife had a Caprese salad with Indian naan bread, while I went for the lobster Sarney sliders, which turned out to be lobster salad on naan … huge hunks of tender lobster barely dressed in a little mayo. Really good.

Service is good here, the prices are reasonable, and it’s very family-friendly. Lots of families with kids here, unusual for a pub. If you’re in Bristol and looking for refreshment, you shouldn’t pass up the British Brewing Company.

• Visited July 2013