“Bad timing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Sullivan House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Block Island
The Sullivan House
Save Saved
You added The Sullivan House to your Saves list
Corn Neck Road, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #11 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
Milford, Connecticut
“Bad timing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We had the misfortune to book our stay the same time as a wedding. We couldn't stay at the Sullivan House so opted for the GMB Suite. Were given practically no information... for example didn't realize taxis could take us right to GMB door but were dropped at TSH... had a terrible time finding our way one night in the dark. Nearly fell in a big puddle up by the House and no light on the GMB. Finally someone in the other half of the house turned on their light... Also were told 'no breakfast, that's only for the guests in the Sullivan House.' We had fridge/coffee maker and microwave but no advance knowledge so no supplies (except bag of coffee/cream/sugar). Never met our hostess, very pleasant housekeeper though, who showed us that bath hot water was shut off with shutoff valve because it leaked so badly. Wonderful fireworks after the wedding, compliments of the bride however, not The Sullivan House.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brookfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We rented the entire sullivan house (6 rooms) for family & guests for two days. The wedding was held outside in a tent. It was really a great way to stay close to the wedding.

Room Tip: Room 7 is best, followed by 5 ,1, & 4
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We planned a last minute trip, and Chamber of Commerce suggested Sullivan House bc they had a room available...There is a good reason why. The dark, dreary and moldy house was a health hazard. My allergies were so bad after sleeping there we had to leave a day early! No ac, was a bit of problem except at midnight when we did get the breezes. The room was completely paneled all over. We felt like we were sleeping in a coffin. The carpet was so old and dirty, I refused to walk barefoot. Breakfast? Gone by 9:30, not even a cup of coffee. There was no one around to ask for more. And what ever was served remained in the hot dining room until 4 pm on the table! Tv didn't work. Did I mention the incredible views????

Room Tip: avoid staying at inn
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

My husband and I are easy to please. Friends stayed at The Sullivan House several years ago and insisted we stay there for our honeymoon. The views and the porch were beautiful. We enjoyed our time relaxing on the porch and were pleased with the privacy of the inn. We were greeted on the evening of our arrival with a note. A friend called the inn to see if they could send a bottle of wine or something to our room and were told they didn't provide that service. The honeymoon suite bathroom is in poor condition with water damaged floors and rusty pipes exposed under the sink. We did enjoy the jacuzzi tub. The noise from the harbor was especially disruptive on the evening of July 4th. The breakfast was sub par and the same choices were offered each day. (we stayed for 4)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

My friend and I visited Block island last month and were quite disappointed in our room because it was not clean, the bathroom vinyl floor was coming up, and the rug had many stains, and was very dirty; the lighting in our room was so poor we could not read. Also, we only saw the innkeepers the first day we arrived. After that we were on our own. The weather was very hot and we had a very small fan which was completely inadequate. The gardens around the house needed attention. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Osprey, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

People have mentioned the views for good reason...the vistas are extraordinary. We never tired from looking out on the harbor or the ocean. The other guests were laid back and easy-going as vacationers to Block Island as it should be. It’s a short walk to the beach and a longer walk to town. The cab to town is about $11 plus tip each way.

The house itself has a large kitchen, dining room and living room on the main floor. Upstairs there are at least 5 bedrooms. Our room was very small and sparsely furnished with one wooden desk chair for sitting. Perhaps you're not to sit around in your room but we like to read before we go to bed and had to do it lying in bed sharing a dim bedside light. Our room had no closet but rather pegs on the wall. The room felt like we were experiencing what living in a monastery might be like.

The towels were small and the face cloth was so thin that there were just a few threads in my hand. The window needed to be propped up with a garbage can to stay open.

The light continental breakfast was indeed light, refrigerated bagels, yogurt and watermelon. I don’t understand why they don’t feature some of their gourmet food. It wouldn’t take much effort to offer homemade banana bread, a plate of hard boiled eggs or pastries from a local bakery to supplement the light offerings.

Overall the view is the thing. If you’re not impressed by views don’t stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Just back from a perfect week on BI! My sister got married at The Sullivan House - traveled all the way from San Diego which was kind of an inconvenience at first, but when I got there I was blown away! The views are incredible - like a movie set. I stayed at The Harbor House for a week, which was right on the grounds - we loved the place - clean, right on the wedding site, and right on the water. Great wrap-around porch with grill and all amenities. Actually, almost all - Wi-Fi was down for the week, which kind of sucked, and I had to do all my work on The Sullivan House porch. Aside from that, we could get to the beach with a one minute walk, where we had a bonfire one of the nights. I was maid of honor, and so I co-hosted the rehearsal dinner BBQ - casual beer and wine event - great prep for the next day. Event Manager there was great - made it easy to plan from CA. We had the event on the porch, which was awesome for views and did a Tuscan style table so guests got to mingle the day before. Wedding day was great - different from other weddings I've been in because we had the site to ourselves. The ceremony site is so beautiful - and the Island minister/judge did a unique sand ceremony. The party was incredible - elegant Surf & turf with martinis, etc. Never had such good food at a wedding anywhere! Then the band kicked in and there was lost of dancing, etc. A good party! The only drawback to the BI wedding was the groom's family, who are from Boston, found it hard to get a car reservation on Sunday - you need to book that in advance or go "standby" on the boat, which was kind of nerve-wracking for them. And my flight back to San Diego with all my post-wedding baggage! My suggestion to people going to BI weddings - pack light - the Island is more casual than I thought and I didn;t wear half the stuff I brought, and book ferry early!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hard to get to BI from CA
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Sullivan House? Share your experiences!