“Wonderful Anniversary Weekend!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Barrington Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Block Island
The Barrington Inn
You added The Barrington Inn to your Saves list
584 Beach Ave, PO Box 397, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #13 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Anniversary Weekend!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

My husband and I, and two other couples just spent the weekend at the Barrington Inn on Block Island. We found the place to be absolutely immaculate. We loved the rooms with the decks overlooking New Harbor. The location is beautiful and relaxing. The continental breakfast was delicious and convenient. The afternoon wine and cheese on the rear deck was perfect. The owners Caren and John were extremely friendly, available and accomdating. We would highly recommend this charming B& B and look forward to going back to the Inn.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

This inn is definitely an acquired taste. It's very charming, clean, pleasant and in a great location. But as other reviews have noted, the innkeepers are neglectful of their guests and never around. We actually enjoyed our stay very much though because we like being on our own. If you expect no service of any kind, and like being independent, then this is a very good deal.

Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Long Island, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

Part of this review is to spensworld, that was my stuff in the fridge ! Next time bring your own! I found the inn a treasure, just meeting two people like (owners )Caren & John was a great pleasure. They couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. The rooms were immaculate and homey. The breakfast was plentiful and very good! We would go back again even if not for a wedding!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Sorry Sarge - My friend and I have travelled back to Barrington Inn for almost 5 years now and the best times that we have experienced HAVE been with the newest innkeepers Caren and John. They are anything but MIA. We watched countless sunsets (beautiful sunsets on porch overlooking bay and ocean) and they offered us breakfast even after breakfast hours were over AND offered dinner one evening (with them!) which we did take them up on. They were always around and accommodating. We stay in the same room year after year which is spacious, clean and has all the ammenities of a modern hotel yet with B&B charm. There is no other place that we would rather return to. The memories are always keepsakes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Newport, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

LOVED IT! Ideal location - walk to old and new harbor and beach. Lovely deck for sunset viewing. Room(s) have the charm of a NE inn with modern ammenities like A/C & TV. Innkeepers Caren & John were so fun and friendly, we spent more time at the Inn than out on the Island. We've stayed at many hotels and inns in BI, but this is where we'll go from now on!

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
BROOMALL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed in Apt #1 for a week. The location was lovely, the beds comfortable,but that is where it stopped! The inkeepers were far from friendly,unless approached,even upon arrival. The furniture was old,stained and sticky. Ants were constantly crawling on the kitchen counter. We did not know ahead of time that we had to supply toilet tissue and paper towels,though when asked a roll of each was supplied "as a courtesy". We paid $95.00 for linen service (towels and sheets for a week for 3 beds), however only came to find out,when asked,that if we wanted clean ones we would have to launder them ourselves. An alarm went off at 2:30 AM indicating a fire in the 1st floor Apt basement, we were unable to rouse anyone, so we disarmed it. We informed the innkeeper via note...no response. We were expected to clean the Apt prior to departure (of which there were minimal cleaning supplies),which we did. I guarantee you it had not been cleaned very recently before we arrived, or they don't check it very frequently. We informed the innkeepers via note, the day before, that we would be leaving on an early ferry, expectedly they did not make any effort to say goodbye or thanks, only left my receipt . I will not return to this or any of their other properties. They are not personable people for this type of business.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

I arrived at the Barrington to not only find that my room was far more spacious than I'd expected, but that it was in perfect order. Storage space was more than adequate, the bed and couch were comfortable, and the modern bathroom was spotless. Not only that, right outside was a deck which offered sweeping views of the island, New Harbor, and the ocean beyond. And within minutes of my settling into one of the comfortable Adirondack chairs, Mickey - the inn's host - arrived at the top of the outdoor steps to greet me. We enjoyed some friendly conversation before he excused himself, only to return during each subsequent morning and afternoon to say hello. His cordial and attentive, yet unobtrusive, customer service make Mickey an asset to the inn.

Therein lies the rub. Mickey is a cat. Only some 24 hours after reaching the Barrington did I have any human contact there whatsoever. By coincidence, I was in my room during the second afternoon of my stay when a housekeeper appeared. She was most pleasant, assuring me that I COULD have raided the refrigerator downstairs for breakfast. (When I'd appeared during the appointed time frame that morning, the table and counters were bare. No indication was to be found that it was all right to tap into the half-finished bottle of wine, shrink-wrapped and also partially consumed grapes and canteloupe, etc. I was perfectly fine with enjoying a repast at the nearby Bethany's Airport Diner.) As an approximation of the Website-hyped afternoon snack, I was offered a package of wheat crackers. Maybe the "extraordinary" morning meal lauded by the previous poster tapped out the food supply? I can't take issue with innkeepers' not having a "groaning board" prepared for a lone guest. But neither can I accept that I should've assumed the odds and ends in the fridge were meant for me. When people do that, they're rightly accused of stealing.

The "hands-off" technique of hospitality was in effect not only at breakfast. It's totally accurate to say that there wasn't a single other human being in evidence at the Barrington for a full day after I got there. This was despite my telling the innkeepers, upon making my reservation, which ferry I'd be arriving on. Not being met at the dock was a non-issue, since I'm well familiarized with Block Island and didn't have much luggage. More disconcerting was walking into an unlocked and completely deserted building. A message on a small whiteboard, prominently displayed in the front hall, advised that room keys were in the respective rooms. The cell (?) phone number - in a Connecticut area code - for a contact person was also noted. But with no "house" or room phones in the place, the only way for someone without a cellie to make a call was to use a pay phone at the police/fire station across the street. This also was not a problem for me, between being able to "DIY" just fine and not having any valuables to be concerned about keeping secure.

I'm a many-times-over repeat visitor to BI, and was well satisfied with the accommodations (and low off-season rate) at the Barrington. But it's only fair that potential guests who anticipate being there at probably any time except between Memorial Day and Labor (or Columbus) Day have fair warning. "You're on your own." Bring quarters for the pay phone if you're not "mobile," know that the picked-over leftovers in the kitchen are up for grabs, and have cab money if you're carrying lots of belongings. And by all means pack some treats for Mickey.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Barrington Inn? Share your experiences!