“Only bad thing was too short of a stay!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Payne's Harbor View Inn

Payne's Harbor View Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Block Island
Payne's Harbor View Inn
Save Saved
You added Payne's Harbor View Inn to your Saves list
Beach Ave and Ocean Ave, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #11 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
RI and CT and NYC
“Only bad thing was too short of a stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

What a beautiful place!! We had it all to ourselves, which we loved. Online photos don't do the place justice!!! Warm touches all over the hotel, very clean and inviting. Wish we could have stayed longer.................... Just a great place to relax and enjoy the island.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Suffield, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Great Inn, decent food, great staff, awesome views. The Inn really needs to invest in air conditioning for room 7 located on the 3rd floor. The thermostat never went below 82 in our room. My husband and I slept with 3 fans blowing on us at night. I would suggest that the Inn stop renting this room or do something to make it comfortable for their guests. We loved the new Sushi Bar. We also had room 9 on the 3rd floor. This was a great room!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

This was our first trip staying on the Island. Payne's Inn was wonderful. We had Room 2. It was beautiful and the view was fantastic. The Inn is decorated beautifully and it was quite clean. The breakfast was tasty and filling. There were cookies in the afternoon. We had a wonderful taxi driver Richie who recommended two great places to eat. Eli's and Windfield's. Both serve fresh vegetables and the food was delicious. Eli's only has 10 tables so get there around 6ish. I would stay away from Ballards awful service and food . Not worth it. We should have walked out! Plan to spend money on the Island, but after all it is vacation!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

We were pleasantly suprised when we arrived at Payne's Harbor View Inn. The place is run well and is beyond clean. Our room was on the 3rd floor and the room and the bathroom were huge.

This is the first time I went to Block Island and I can't wait to go back and stay at Payne's Harbor View Inn. My boyfriend has been to Block Island many times and loved the Inn as well!

• Liked — Beautiful, clean, location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

This place is the best to stay at Block Island.The rooms are great decorated, There you can feel the spirit of Block Island, even the Inn is the newest on the island. The service is more then fine. The best place for young and not so young couples. The View makes you feel like you are in the heaven.

We love you Carole Payne.

From Bulgaria

• Liked — The spirit of the inn
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2005
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

This was our first trip to Block Island 8/17-8/19. Coming from Long Island we took the one hour Montauk Viking Ferry to the New Harbor dock, which is very close to Payne’s Harbor View Inn. We reserved our ferry tickets and parking in advance to confirm availability. We also packed light in backpacks and brought our bicycles along.

Payne’s Harbor View is a lovely new inn, ideally located just outside the main town. If you enjoy a quiet, scenic setting close to everything, we highly recommend this inn. The rooms are extremely clean, spacious and some include a jacuzzi and/or terrace. The continental breakfast is very nice with homemade donuts, muffins, toast/bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc. Afternoon tea and homemade cookies are also made available. Carol the innkeeper, successfully oversees this beautiful inn, however, her friendly welcome can be improved upon a bit.

During our three day stay, we visited a good portion of the island. The Block Island visitor guide pamphlet is very helpful. Here’s a quick review…

Restaurants
Harbor Inn (center of town, across from the dock) Great lunch on the patio.
Harry’s (southern part of town) Great pad thai!
Spring House (a bit south of town-up the hill) Don’t miss it! Have a drink or lunch out on the deck. Sit in an Adirondack chair, read a book and enjoy the view.
Dead Eye Dick’s (close to Payne’s Harbor View Inn) Sunset fish dinner on the deck.
1661 – Full breakfast buffet

Attractions
Farm – Make a quick visit to the animals.
Mohegan Bluffs – A bit of a tourist trap, but worth it. You must take the hike.
Southeast Lighthouse - Beautiful
Nature preserve – Don’t miss it! 10 minute trail to the bluffs, rocks and beach. Gorgeous.
Stop in and check out all the inns along the way!
Visit as many beaches as you can because each one is different and special in its own way.

Make sure to wear sneakers during your tour. The biking is challenging at times. Block Island is hilly. You can always rent a moped.

If you have questions feel free to email. Enjoy your trip.

• Liked — New, clean, well taken care of.
  • Disliked — Improve the hospitality.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

After reading some of the posts about Payne's, I thought I would add my 2 cents even though my stay was a year ago.

I absolutely loved Payne's. My husband and I stayed in room # 9 which has a harbor view and 2 person jacuzzi. the room is huge and beautifiul and so is the bathroom and even the closet. If you want a romantic getaway this is a lovely place to go. After reading a negative post before we left ,I was a bit apprehensive about my stay. I found my experience to be totally opposite of what I'd read. The staff was very friendly ,and in 2.5 days we managed to befriend all the young girls from Europe who worked there ,who if you got to know them, were well educated / and interesting people who were there not only to work for the summer but to experience life in the US. The owner was also very nice and knows a great deal of the history of BI. The place is immaculate and is brand new but decorated and built as though it had been around for hundreds of years. I have no complaints about the breakfast which was continental and served in a lovely room with french doors opening to the landscaped backyard with a lovely view of the harbor. the doors were left wide open during the day and there was a refreshing breeze. I think if you were cold all you would have to do is close the door and or tell one of the staff to. During the day you could get lemonade out of the little fridge in that room and each day there was a little sweet treat as well.

Overall it felt like it was my own home, and it was very quiet and comfortable downstairs in the parlor. I went back to BI last week of 07 but couldn't get my old room or one similar so ended up staying at 1661 and was just as delighted. I'm actually glad I didn't end up staying there last week because it was a very, hot week on BI as well as all over NE. And as others have pointed out there is no air conditioning at Payne's as well as 99 percent of the places on BI. When I stayed last summer there was always an ocean breeze coming through our windows (plus there is a cieling fan over the bed). One night last week (07) there was absolutely no ocean breeze anywhere on the island. it was tough even on the ground level with 3 fans at the 1661, so I can only imagine how hot it would be on the top floor of a room at Payne's. I think though those types of days and nights are the exception but must be expected on occasion in August. I believe the hotel/inn owners on BI probably have good reason for not offering AC and it may have to do with the high energy costs and the need to make a living. That's just the breaks for us mainland people who really can't stand heat and humidity.

• Liked — the size of my room and decor and the staff and the view
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Payne's Harbor View Inn? Share your experiences!