“not so smooth” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Surf Hotel Block Island

Surf Hotel Block Island
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Block Island
Surf Hotel Block Island
Save Saved
You added Surf Hotel Block Island to your Saves list
32 Dodge Street, PO Box 1888, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Block Island
Warwick, Rhode Island
“not so smooth”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

hmmmnn....went for lunch on a sunny but brisk weekday, met the hostess on the front porch, when i requested a table in the sun on the east deck, i was told that lunch is only being served indoors or on back deck (in the shade). That i thought was odd, how much more walking would a server have to do? Not exactly catering to a customer!
Since there was a chill in the air, we ordered lobster bisque, expecting that to be AFTER our appetizer of chicken fingers and sauce. Drinks were served in plastic glasses, come on, only a few people were dining, glasses would have been nice. The bisque came next, very good but not in order requested. Chicken arrived, with dipping sauce brought over a few minutes later. Nothing to write home about. Was not impressed, but disappointed...may i also mention the lunch menu was not lengthy menu i originally viewed, but a small sampling of dishes...above diner fare.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I called the Surf Hotel on Block Island three separate times to try to make my reservation, each time the phone recording stated "leave a message and we will call you back within 24 hours". I never heard back from anyone at all. Finally, as I got closer to the date that I wanted to book our trip, the rates for the room had gone up dramatically and when I asked the Owner why, she stated that "the rates change with lack of availabilty". So, the prices go up as they have fewer vacancies. No where on their web site do they state this. The Owner was terrible rude and this seems like extortion to me. I could only imagine how terrible the service must be as a guest there if my initial experience was this bad. I do not recommend supporting such a business with unfair business practices. Beware, this is a shady place.

Room Tip: Try the other hotel down the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chepachet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a very scenic restaurant that overlooks the ocean. A beautiful setting with great food. The swordfish tacos are the best I have ever had and the chicken sandwich and lobster roll received raving reviews by our party. Pete was our server and he is very good and attentive and makes great conversation . The prices were comparable to a beach front eatery. In building is an old hotel with beautiful decor. A must try location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Surf Hotel is like a trip back in time. The very pleasant lobby is furnished in antigues. We had a drink at the lobby bar and sat outside on the rocking chairs on the porch overloooking the beach. The rooms are small but clean and all rooms share a bath. There are no televisions and we didn't need a/c b/c of the ocean breeze. The location can't be beat. It is minutes to the ferry, shops, and restaurants. It was a unique experience and we enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. However, island view rooms have a smal locean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
blockisland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

When you step onto the porch of the Surf, just inches from curbside, it feels llike a step back in time. Sitting on the porch to enjoy dinner overlooking the ocean is divine. Our service was eager to please and very friendly. You can tell everyone is happy to be there. While the menu is small the food is good, utilizing fresh ingredients. I love Clam Chowder and I live out here and their chowder is the best I have had.
They seem to be slowly re-opening, making good choices and taking their time and it shows. Kim, the owner, is professional, friendly and accomodating. A great place to get away from it all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cheshire, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This past spring, my girlfriend and I heard that the Surf Hotel on Block Island was reopening. We had heard that some changes to the hotel were afoot; new ownership, a restaurant and bar had replaced the old family kitchen and so on and so forth. It was with some intrepidation that we signed up for a weeks stay. We were not disappointed. Kim, the new owner, along with her staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating. They were really sweet. Some of the "old" Surf was still there e.g. the 2nd floor balcony overlooking the beach and rocking chairs on one side of the front porch yet, the "new" Surf was also present. We ate at the restaurant and ordered drinks from the bar. We loved everything. Yes, some things are different but then, nothing in life remains the same forever. For those who can only talk about what use to be, it is your choice to stay in your rooms watching re-runs of the Andy Griffith show. For my money, I suggest you embrace the change, otherwise you'll run the risk of missing out on wonderful times at a very special place. Vive la différence! See you there next summer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My stay at the Surf was while she was in full swing and had just recently re-opened after 5 years . Walk through the front doors and you will go back in time the feel of old world charm with her amazing antiques and decor , the lovely staff was at full attention and helped me with all my needs.As I sat on the back deck over looking the ocean I had the most amazing steamers I have ever eaten and a glorious melt in your mouth warm lobster roll all prepared by Chef Gerry a very charming and very talented Chef at that, ask for him by name! You will want to go back and for that matter you will never want to leave, I will be going back to stay there in a few weeks!

Room Tip: get an ocean side room the breeze and the sound of the ocean will lull you to sleep
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Surf Hotel Block Island? Share your experiences!