“Surf Hotel you are my soles mate” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surf Hotel Block Island

Surf Hotel Block Island
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Block Island
Surf Hotel Block Island
Save Saved
You added Surf Hotel Block Island to your Saves list
32 Dodge Street, PO Box 1888, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Block Island
Hartford, Connecticut
“Surf Hotel you are my soles mate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My stay at the Surf was while she was in full swing and had just recently re-opened after 5 years . Walk through the front doors and you will go back in time the feel of old world charm with her amazing antiques and decor , the lovely staff was at full attention and helped me with all my needs.As I sat on the back deck over looking the ocean I had the most amazing steamers I have ever eaten and a glorious melt in your mouth warm lobster roll all prepared by Chef Gerry a very charming and very talented Chef at that, ask for him by name! You will want to go back and for that matter you will never want to leave, I will be going back to stay there in a few weeks!

Room Tip: get an ocean side room the breeze and the sound of the ocean will lull you to sleep
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Berlin, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I've been going to the Surf for 30 years with my family and after many wonderful stays with the Cyr family I was a little apprehensive about returning with my wife and two boys. We were all amazed and very happy with our stay. Of course there are memories and features about the former establishment that are irreplaceable, but the new operators have done a truly remarkable job in such a short period of time. Unless you have personally run a business such as this, it is impossible to understand how difficult it is to get everything perfect on the first year. Kim (the new person in charge), is warm and very eager to please and she is diligent in her ongoing training of her new staff, who by the way, are learning very quickly. The hotel is clean and well kept, the rooms promptly picked up, and the head chef Jerry does a fantastic job with great dishes including a terrific breakfast (and he is gregarious and always interested in friendly conversation and a good laugh), and the entire atmosphere remains family oriented and genuinely upbeat.

The bottom line is this hotel is about as good as you can ever expect it to be at this early stage with new management. If you want a private bath or A/C or television, this type of vacation may not be for you, but the old charm far outweighs any typical canned luxury in my opinion. Of all the possible scenarios that could have materialized when the Cyr family decided to change hands, this one is by far the best. The rooms would have to rent at at least double the current price if the lobby and porches were to remain as they had once been.The hotel could have easily been converted to a group of private condos or something completely unrecognizable. Give it a try and let the mangaement know your concerns. I could clearly see they truly care about the old Surf and will make it better every year! Loved it!

Room Tip: leave ceiling fan on all night
Plainville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel has recently re-opened their restaurant and we did not have the best experience. We went for dinner the other night because of the live music. When we arrived they were not overally busy but our waiter did not seem to have much time to tend to our table. Throughout the night he was more interested in talking the the drunk guys who were seated near us and high fiving them.

We placed an order for our meals and an appetizer only to have the appetizer arrive at the same time as our meals. I also have some food allergies and wanted to see if the kitchen could make some changes to a couple of the meals. When we asked if he could go check he was quick to respond that it could not be done without even checking.

The meals were good but not the best that we had on the island, there are much better places. With the service we received I do not plan on going back in the future for dinner. Maybe next time a drink at the end of the night to listen to the music on the deck. That was the best part and also will save us a lot of money when we eat somewhere else.

This was something we had heard after from other travellers also. You may want to ask around before going there. It will not be the first place on my list.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Saugerties, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our family has been going to the Surf for many years. We went back this summer after they re-opened and were very disappointed. We were hoping the things we loved about The Surf hadn't changed. Too much has changed. We miss the fascinating summer community of guests, we miss the games in the parlor ( the chess set is tucked away in a corner & there are no more scrabble games), we miss the rockers & comfy cushioned wicker loveseats on the porches, replaced now by restaurant tables... We miss listening to guests play the piano, because there's a "no playing piano" sign now.. We miss the cavalier King Charles Spaniels and the parakeet & the fish in the fishtank. We miss the taxidermy! We miss the lace tablecloths & flowers in the breakfast room. We miss quiet spaces to read books, because there is always music blaring now. We miss interesting/ fascinating! people to talk to who stay the whole week.. They don't rake the seaweed off the beach anymore. We miss the convenience of having a kitchen & grill we can use--so we can save a little money & not have to eat out every meal. We miss the swingset so kids have something to do. We miss being able to borrow beach chairs & umbrellas & beach towels from the hotel. We miss the good natured charm of Mr. & Mrs. Cyr. We miss Lorraine-- because she kept order-- and made sure the hotel was secure & clean. Carpets were dirty & full of sand because there is no outside shower anymore. We miss the morning cake with cinnamon sugar on top. They leave the doors open now- even at night!! and people come in off the street or from the restaurant/bar & go upstairs to use the bathroom. We miss the rules that make staying at the Surf a happy experience. We miss the quiet sound of the ocean waves - the music in the lobby drowns out the ocean. We miss being able to get kids to bed at a reasonable time-- the loud live music on the porch goes on till nearly midnight! The location of the new bar blocks the view of the ocean from the parlor. The bright energy saver lightbulbs in the rooms are way too bright. The love is missing. It's just a hotel now.

Room Tip: no air conditioning -- our room had an old hard mattress and was really hot.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've stayed here since 1975, and am thrilled that it's open after five years of closure. They've only been open for a few weeks, so of course there are shakedown issues, but they're working on them fast. It's weird to have it be a restaurant and bar now, and not have a guest kitchen or grill. The staff are great, especially the friendly new manager. The rooms are still very small, especially for the much-increased prices, and there are still no private bathrooms in the main hotel, no TV, and no air conditioning. They've eliminated the ground-floor rooms, so that all of the rooms are at least one steep flight up. Continental breakfast is included, without the egg dish of the previous management, but quite adequate if carby. Mysteriously they've got rid of the shower at the top of the stairs from the beach, so that tracking sand in and onto the oriental rugs is now inevitable. The guests are friendly, and there are still rocking chairs on some of the porches. I have the feeling they've only started to change it, that in future years it will develop and change a lot. But for the moment it's a great place to stay for a couple or family. The key thing is that it's right on a beautiful protected beach ideal for swimming and children, and right in town with tons of restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Definitely do the ocean side, as it's cooler and quieter than the street side.
Hoboken
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The staff consists of inexperienced teens, and older, much ruder individuals. I was shocked and appalled when asking to speak to their manager over a small error they caused with our bill. Between ducking my calls, using the same lame excuses (the manager had to leave the island on a urgent manner), I was told that there's nothing they could do, with an "it's your problem, you deal with it", attitude. I suppose customer service wasn't on the menu.

I would prefer to stay somewhere friendlier on future visits. Perhaps where you're treated like a person and not a means of income to them.

To date, I have left numerous messages with multiple staff members to speak to their manager (apparently, the ONLY person who can help me), but have not received a call back. What a shame.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf Hotel Block Island? Share your experiences!