“Fun Casual and Good Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Pine Plains, New York, USA
“Fun Casual and Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Off the main drag, Poor People's Pub is a great place for casual food. The nachos with pulled pork was huge and delicious. Mac and cheese with pulled pork was also great. It is busy and bustling. Can get a bit loud. But when the food is so good you overlook a little loud.

Sort of a sports bar atmosphere which works perfect with the menu.

If I'm ever back on Block Island I will go to Poor People's Pub again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Hopewell, New York
“Good pub grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We ducked into Poor People's Pub on a rainy Saturday afternoon and we were so glad we did.
We ordered the nachos with pulled pork. This was a huge portion and the pork was tender and delicous. We also sampled the French onion soup which was perfect on a rainy day. This is not fine dining, it's fun dining in a casual pub setting, great value for Block Island we would return to Poor People's Pub given the opportunity

Visited August 2012
Westbrook, Connecticut
“GREAT PLACE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went tp PPP for the first time this past February. It was one of only 2 bars that were open on the Island. The owner was bar tending and was very Friendly. We got stuck on the island due to a nor'easter and all ferry's were canceled for the day, so we sat at PPP and drank 2$ Narragansett all day. The food was great and the beer was cold! Went back there in July and had the same great experience. Highly recommend PPP!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York, NY
“Get the lobster & corn chowder!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went to poor people's pub twice while on vacation this past week. Both times got the lobster/corn chowder,lobster rolls, and burgers - so good!!! The lobster roll was really tasty & loaded with lobster. The lobster & corn chowder was honestly one of the BEST soup's I have ever had in my life...

For the name, the pub isn't exactly low cost - I mean, it's Block Island - what is? But it has enough basic lower cost items if you are on a budget. Overall the wait staff was great - our waitress, I think Kelly, on Friday night was really personable - she knew the Island really well when we asked questions too. Saturday was rainy and the pub was packed for lunch - service was just ok from the waitress we had - a few side things we asked for never showed/happened, but we decided it wasn't worth mentioning so I'm sure it probably would have been resolved if we had.

Would definitely come back when we are next on Island & recommend!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashua, New Hampshire
“an all around excellent experience to say the least!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My fiancé and I went to Poor People's Pub while on a short vacation to BI. We were in Block Island for 3 nights, we went to Poor People's Pub on the second night and when deciding where to dine on the third night, I insisted we go back to Poor People's Pub it was THAT good! Both nights I had twin lobster special for $25. If you go, try it, and you will see why we went back again! Excellent food, outstanding service and an exceptional experience! I enjoyed the Casual ambience and we liked that it was fancy but the food was affordable. We will definitely go back every time we are in BI and I would recommend Poor People's Pub to anyone and everyone! My mouth is watering just writing this review, thinking about the delicious lobster I was fortunate enough to indulge in! Definitely the highlight of our getaway!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere