“My favorite place on Block Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sea Breeze

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Block Island
The Sea Breeze
You added The Sea Breeze to your Saves list
71 Spring Street, PO Box 141, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #4 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hamden, CT
“My favorite place on Block Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have been to the Sea Breeze several times in the past decade with my husband and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. It is very close to the center of town, but yet is so private, with a truly magical setting. Even at the height of the season, there is no noise from the very busy bars in town.
I love room 10 which has a little front porch and looks out over two ponds and the ocean beyond. It is such a restful and lovely spot and the room, actually a small suite, is simply and beautifully decorated-no Victorian frou-frou. I brought my daughter this time and she was totally charmed both with the island and the inn. Jennifer, the manager, provided us with bikes, which we rented at a very reasonable cost, and enjoyed pedaling around the island. Jennifer is very lovely and accommodating. Every morning she brings breakfast in a basket, another charming Sea Breeze touch. Since my last visit, there are more breakfast choices, a nice change from just pastries.
One minor thing that I almost hesitate to bring up, since everyone on the staff was so nice. I was a little surprised that the staff did very little to tidy and make up the room the second day. I did not lower my ranking because of this, since I am sure if I had mentioned it, the situation would have been immediately remedied. I definitely will continue to come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

AndreaNewhouse, Owner at The Sea Breeze, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, and for being such a loyal guest over the years. We apologize for the housecleaning oversight that day. We have reviewed this situation with staff and it was a simple misunderstanding and not typical of our service, as we do provide daily housecleaning for all our rooms. Please know that we are always available and happy to remedy any situation if you bring it to our attention during your stay.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
easton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Seabreeze was the perfect spot for a romantic 20th anniversary celebration. Our cottage (#10) was charming, cozy and private. Would definitely go back and would highly recommend. Loved having breakfast brought to our room each morning and eating (in our pjs) on our private porch overlooking the water!

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a lovely little place. Like other reviewers have pointed out, you need to understand what you're in for because it isn't a five star, full-service hotel; it is a little bit house-share, a little bit hostel, and little bit approachable luxury. Yes, an odd combination, but one that I (and many Block Islanders) can identify with.

We've stayed in both the main (shared bathroom) cottage and in two private rooms. Obviously the private rooms slay the shared - Room 10, in particular, is amazing and where we'll likely book moving forward. Rooms 5 and 6 (I think) share one bathroom between them on the second floor of the cottage and I thought it looked amazing (my girlfriends stayed up there). My one criticism is that the bathrooms (particularly the public one in the downstairs part of the cottage) could use an upgrade. Room 10's bathroom is fab, Room 8's is fine. Other than that... I'm a fan. The breakfasts are amazing - I mean, who makes croissants this good!? The views are beautiful. The property feels very sweet and homey.

Room Tip: Room 10 is the money spot.

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The title says it all. The Seabreeze has a wonderful location: take a 2 minute walk to town, start your bike ride, eat across the street, or just sit ,relax, and take in the most beautiful view on the island. A tranquil and serene spot. I've been going to Block Island for over 20 years so I know.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I agree with lots of the reviewers...Jennifer and the views are a major reason why this B & B works. I was looking for accommodations on BI that were not heavily Victorian and the Sea Breeze fit the bill. Our room was Number 6 which I selected for the queen size bed and the covered porch outside. Almost all the decent accommodations on BI have severe cancellation policies so I wanted the porch in case we needed a place to escape to in case it rained. I did not need to worry as we had total sunshine during our stay. Our room was in excellent condition and looked like it had been recently renovated. This room is on the front of the house so road noise could have been a problem. There was little traffic as we stayed mid-week so we were fine. The breakfast was yummy and the fresh fruit served was delicious. When I made my initial inquiry about the property I off-handedly mentioned that my husband had Celiac Disease. At checkin Jennifer made sure that my husband's breakfast would accommodate his needs and even offered to go to the store to get another gluten free option. We were impressed! We took the early morning ferry off the island and when Jennifer heard that we were leaving early, she offered to bring by breakfast an hour earlier. Not everyone is happy with a B & B experience and those that are expecting Hyatt decor and lots of amenities might be better off staying elsewhere. Careful examination of the Sea Breeze web site gave us accurate expectations for our stay. We were delighted with our entire experience at the Sea Breeze.

Room Tip: Room Number 6 was perfect for us.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We loved our three days of quiet relaxation at the Sea Breeze! This is our third time staying and second time off-season in September and it was just what we needed! No TV, etc, just relaxation and the opportunity to put away our watches, read, watch the tides, the moon and the stars and the deer that visit! The breakfast delivered to our door is always "perfect"; we enjoyed have choices this year! We rent your bikes and have a day cycling around Block Island and spend another day walking the beaches and eating seafood. We can't wait for September to roll around again!

Room Tip: Any room will give you a good night's sleep and a wonderful stay!
Green Features: We are pleased to see that the Sea Breeze is so committed to caring for the environment!

Concord, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our first visit to The Block and we loved its beauty and tranquility. Island is larger and hillier than you might think. Sea Breeze is walkable from Old Harbor but closer to a 12-15 minute uphill walk than 5. Units are no frills and some units share a bath. Cottage #10 has its own bath and a sitting room.
Manager Jennifer is very accommodating and responsive. She delivers a yummy continental breakfast each day, e.g, Pastries, coffee/tea, juice , yogurt, fresh fruit etc,
View is of the ocean and also two lovely salt pools. Just spectacular! A Kayak is also available. If you take a tour, get Marguerite's cab. She's great and a lifelong Block Islander.

We look forward to a return to Block Island.

Green Features: Very "green." All bulbs are low wattage CFL. Recycling is a focus.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sea Breeze? Share your experiences!