“Don't! Please dont” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Gothic Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Block Island
The Gothic Inn
You added The Gothic Inn to your Saves list
P.O. Box 537, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #18 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
“Don't! Please dont”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011 via mobile

No A/C. Noisy knuckle draggers in the morning. If u have a bad back. The bed will hurt you. No A/C. Bad bed. No A/C.....oh and no a/c and bad bed = terrible.

• Stayed July 2011

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
medway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

The Gothic Inn was recommended to us by friends as being a peaceful and relaxing place to stay. After reading the past reviews I was a little nervous but booked anyway. Figured for a weekend trip it would be ok as most of the day would be spent at the beach or sightseeing. We were very pleasantly surprised. It a short walk from the ferry and very cute -sits a little further back from the street with pink chairs out front. There are three floors, each floor has a shared bathroom. We were greeted by Cindy the manager whom quickly checked us in. Explained the layout and other details... We had a room on the third floor - view of the ocan was amazing. Small room very clean and comfortable no tv or phone. There is a common kitchen on the second floor with a small fridge for guests to use and a main living room where breakfast is served. You can grab food and bring to your room or there is a lovely wrap around deck for sitting and eating outside. You do hear noise/ music late at night from a bar/reastaurant around the corner if the windows are open. No a/c so you do need them open to get a breeze, there is a fan in the room if needed. Thought the shared bathroom might be a problem but never seemed to be an issue if we needed to shower or clean up..only down part was bringing toiletries back and forth but really not a big deal. Plenty of towels in the room and they even have beach towels in the main hallway to pick up and use. Beach chairs also available if needed. Nothing out of the ordinary for the continental breakfast offered.. basics-- bagels toast juice, coffee. If your looking a modern amenties in your room then this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for somewhere to relax, enjoy in the sunset and make yourself at home then look into The Gothic Inn.
We spent the day one day at the beach and a second day exploring the island on a moped. Plenty of places to eat, drink and be merry. Many restaurants/bars have live music either in the afternoon or at night. Has the feel that everyone knows everyone.
We tried to book for antoher weekend in August but were unable to as they are booked. But we will be back to stay at the Gothic Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011 via mobile

If the rate for these rooms was under $100 a night, I'd say you get what you pay for. The owners obviously can't or won't put any money into rugs, mattresses, furniture, screens for the windows, etc. I can't believe I paid what I did to stay here - and we were in one of the less expensive rooms. The location is very good and I guess that's what you're paying for.

• Stayed June 2011
North Dartmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I read some of the other reviews and felt I had to share mine. We (two couples) stood in Apt #11. We found it pretty clean and the maid even hurried cleaning it so we could get in early. Cindy was very nice and accomodating. As far as the noise, well anyone who frequents Block Island knows it is a party island and the Gothic Inn is located between the two top nightclubs so it is a no-brainer that there will be noise. If you prefer quiet it is best you get a place in the middle of the island or at least a little ways away from the main attractions. The view from the Inn is awesome, the location is awesome, the breakfast was awesome. The apartment itself was just perfect for the four of us and we found it very comfortable. No complaints here and we will definately stay there again. Remember this is an island. You will not find 5 star accomodations. I have stayed at the National Hotel before which I thought was an upper scale accomodation and I was extremely disapointed (it was filthy) and I will never stay there again. The sea air and climate generally beat up both outsides and insides of properties and it is all property managers can do to keep up with the maitenance so judgement should not be so harsh.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
norton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

The Gothic Inn was awful! It was very expensive, dirty and the staff were outrageously rude!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Unfortunately, we were kept awake both nights by the carousers until 2:00 am or so. The odors from the pizza place dumpster next door wafted our way, and that wasn't too pleasant, either. The breakfast was great as well as the views from the porch. I suppose if you come to the island to go out and party at night you will be oblivious to the noise and smells, but it wasn't the right place for a family with children and seniors who want a good night's sleep.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cranston, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I found the location and outdoor shower fabulous! When I booked this location I was looking for a place not too far from the ferry and wouldn't need a vehicle to get around and enjoy the town, beach etc... I got exactly what I was told by Cindy the Innkeeper Manager. I feel she represented the Gothic very well to me. The room was recently painted and color choices were cheerful. Bed was hard as a rock, my kids hated the pull out sofa comfort so bad that 1 put together blankets on the floor and the other left the couch in couch position and all was good. The stairs leading to my room were very steep and at times a little awkward to walk on. The deck landing was an added treat because we smoke and were able to sit outside and enjoy the sunset. I let my eyes forget about the rooftops that interferred with the waterview which by the way if someone would cut the shrubs from the backside of the property so you can see the water better. The people seem to work hard to turn the rooms over. I appreciated more than I can say the ability to leave my bags while we began our vacation when we arrived which was 10:20 am.... so our room was 4 hours from being ready but it didn't matter. We had our beach cart all geared up. We enjoyed the adirondack chairs on the front lawn and the fact that the main building was set back off the road which increased our privacy and decreased the street noise. I didn't have soap or shampoo so I did have to ask but I did receive... Always plenty of towels. Hmmm, all in all I would say it was exactly what I expected and was told. It is not the Ritz and if you want all that I described and motivated by being economical then I would recommend the Gothic Inn. One last thing, would be nice to have outlets and FANS in all rooms. No outlets created a problem for all our electronics that required chargng. Again, we got through it, and it was fine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Gothic Inn? Share your experiences!