“Mid-week getaway” 4 of 5 stars

42 Water St, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #15 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
“Mid-week getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I loved the Ballards Inn, the staff was friendly and courtesy especially to me and my boyfriends needs (especially after a terrifying ride to the medical center) great food, great environment and location!!! Can't wait to go back for more!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
BallardsInn, Manager at Ballard's Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay at Ballard's. We always appreciate hearing from our guests.

I am glad to hear that we were able to make your stay enjoyable, and that you liked the Inn. We hope that your boyfriend is doing better!

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the island.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Howard Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The staff was wonderful and so accommodating especially of the fact that we were traveling with our two young sons. The room was modern, clean, and the beds were comfortable. Free wifi and satellite with a nice channel line-up. The food from the restaurant was very tasty and the outdoor seating overlooking the ocean was great. The ocean front is the real gem of Ballard's. You almost feel as if you are on a tropical island. The water and sand are pristine and blue. It's got to be the most magnificent beach you can reach from NYC in less than 4 hours without getting on a plane.

The crowd was a mix of twenty-somethings having a good time, older couples, and families with kids. It was moderately crowded at times but never at all uncomfortably so. My kids love people and music so we never had a problem. Even the younger drinking crowd were having clean fun watching the bands and playing volleyball etc. It definitely was not like a spring break booze-fest type vibe. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to families- they were really good to us and good to the kids.

I have ONE single negative commentary/ suggestion. It is an upscale hotel with an upscale price and when I found out that had to pay for the use of chairs at the beach even though we were guests staying in one of the six rooms, it made me angry. I thought for sure I would show my room key and beach chairs would be included. I urge the management to reconsider this policy as it put a bad taste in my mouth within the first hour of our stay. Thankfully, everything else was simply beautiful, and even food and drink reasonably priced (I didn't feel like I was being nickel and dimed) so I let it go and we just enjoyed ourselves.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BallardsInn, Manager at Ballard's Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent visit to Ballard's. We always appreciate the time that our Guests take in writing their reviews. Time is one of the most precious commodities that people can give.

I am so happy to hear that your family were well treated by our staff while you stayed here. We do try to make sure that we are an establishment that people can feel safe and secure in bringing their children.

We hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

My sister an I decided to try Ballards an was a great choice.a/c rooms clean an right on beach .Terry Ann an Jennelle were wonderful as the rest of staff the only con was in the AM you had to go out for you coffee /breakfast as Ballards doesn't serve breakfast an opens at 11am. Rooms are on opposite side of where partying is going on an just as quite! I def recommend Ballard Inn on Block Island!

• Stayed July 2013
BallardsInn, Manager at Ballard's Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your visit to Ballard's Inn.

We always appreciate hearing from our Guests.

I am glad to hear that you appreciated the quiet location of the rooms.

We hope to see you here again soon!

Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Ballard's beach is better known as party central in the summer, but just after Labor Day when the crowds have vanished you may find the best of what Block Island has to offer in an unexpected place. The newly renovated Beach/Restaurant/Bar facility actually has 6 hotel rooms. While none of the rooms are facing the beach, most have balconies with walk in showers and more space than you get anywhere else on the island. At that price you may want to take advantage of short cruise to Block Island from New London, CT or Point Judith, RI and spend the day at Ballard's Beach which offers launches and umbrellas for rent. Have a nice dinner and enjoy your luxurious room.

Room Tip: We liked room # 6 the Honeymoon Suite. See the pictures that we uploaded. While this room goes for a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BallardsInn, Manager at Ballard's Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Greetings AxelEpple:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Ballard's Inn. We always appreciate that time that people take to share their experiences with us and others.

I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our off season rates. The off season is a great time to come and visit the island.

The balcony rooms are personally one of my favorite rooms because after a long day of lounging in the sun you can relax on the balcony with a beverage of choice and watch the sun set right over Old Harbor and town.

We hope to see you again the next time you come out to the island.

Farmington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at Ballard's Inn on the weekend of Aug 2-4. We had stayed here previously years ago before the renovation and the difference was like night and day. We arrived on a early Ferry and they took our luggage for us and stored it right behind the Front desk as we departed for the beach. The Employees at the front desk and all Staff could not have been nicer. They gave us a ring to let us know the room was ready before actual check in at 3:00 which was most kind and appreciated. We had rented a Smart Car because we like to cruise all over the island, and are not big fans of the Mopeds or Bikes on a busy weekend, and unfortunately couldn't get our Car on the Ferry because we didn't book far enough ahead. (Like a year would be a good idea for a weekend.) The car was pricey but wonderful for parking, as we fit everywhere we went.. Our room was the Deluxe with 2 Queen beds, spacious with a huge shower and a good size balcony overlooking the Harbor and Water St. The AC was ice cold, the room attractive, clean and fresh and the Wifi and TV worked perfectly. Huge upgrade from previous stay. The Bar downstairs is of course a bit loud and there is a lot of partying that goes on all day and night. Surprisingly, it never disturbed us in our room at all. Its wonderful to stay right there and walk down to the beach, live music all day, a bit crowded but loads of fun. We also love going to the Town Beach where you can rent an umbrella and chair as well. We didn't eat here only because we like to eat at different places we've been going to for years, but the drinks were great. It isn't cheap, but the location is incredible, the beach beautiful and the Employees and Rooms were great. Highly recommend and we will return!

Room Tip: You want a room with a view, get one with a Balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BallardsInn, Manager at Ballard's Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Greetings:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Ballard's Inn. We always appreciate when our Guest's take the time to let us and others know about their experiences.

I am very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and how the renovations we did helped in making it an even more pleasant visit than the last time you were here. We are very happy with how everything worked out.

It is amazing sometimes how you can not really hear much of the noise from the bar in the rooms. Also I am happy that you enjoyed the use of the free WIFI and Satellite television while you where here.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are on the island.

Bridgewater, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ballards was fantastic. We had a balcony room with a beautiful view of the harbor. The room was lovely. The restaurant was delicious. the drinks from the outside bar were great. The outside entertainment was fun. My only complaint is that I paid $500 a night to stay there & still had to pay $10 for each of our beach chairs. It just seemed like there should be some perk to staying there. Everyone else on the beach was from other hotels & they got the same deal we did. It was also very loud early in the morning. It sounded like the staff cleaning rooms upstairs and getting the restaurant set up downstairs. Other than that, the weekend was perfect! I would definitely recommend staying here to friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Greetings Sharon T:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Ballard's Inn. We always appreciate when our Guest's take the time to write about their experiences.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your balcony room while you were here. I am sorry about the noise in the morning, and will talk with the staff about ways we can prepare for the day in a quieter fashion.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and beverage and entertainment while you where here as well.

We hope to see you again the next time you are on Block Island.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The staff made us feel extra special especially the girls at the front desk. Terry ann and Jannelle ... We already booked for 2013 and cant wait to enjoy the great rooms, wonderful beach and the excellent service.. ballards is a must for vacation for us now

• Stayed August 2012
Greetings:

Thank you for taking the time to write the review about your stay at Ballard's Inn.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I know that we are very lucky to have Terry-Ann and Jannelle working our Front Desk and essentially being the face of Ballard's Inn. I am glad that they were able to make your stay just that much more enjoyable.

We hope to see you on the island again soon!

Manager

Been to Ballard's Inn? Share your experiences!