“Mrs. Joans "Over rated, over priced"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Champlin's Resort & Marina

Champlin's Resort & Marina
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Block Island
Champlin's Resort & Marina
You added Champlin's Resort & Marina to your Saves list
Great Salt Pond, PO Box J, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Block Island
East Haven, Connecticut, United States
“Mrs. Joans "Over rated, over priced"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We have stayed here about 5 times in the hotel. Each time going we were hoping for some improvement but nothing has ever been updated. The buildings are very out dated, although I though they were clean but not immaculate. We enjoy sitting by the pool and this is the only hotel with an outdoor pool. In todays day and age I was very surprised that this is not a handicapped friendly establishment. I think for all the money that they charge per night they should make provisions for people who are somewhat limited with walking etc.. We found the the staff to be friendly, however the ownership needs to go to charm school. He walks around with his head down and looks miserable all the time. Don't think we will be staying there anymore. Going back to the Old Harbor side.

Room Tip: Do not book a room over the restaurant. Very steep stairs and poorly lit
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We have been coming to Champlins for the past four years by boat hoping it will improve each year, but sadly it just keeps getting worse and worse. We even have family meet us and stay at the hotel and they were disgusted with the rooms! The showers are dirty and covered in hair! The pool was green, foggy, and had gross things floating in it. The tennis courts were behind the pool, aka, the "resorts" dumping grounds. The bathrooms were never clean and the staff was on their cell phones the entire time! We will not be traveling back to Champlins and we will be sure to pass this information on to fellow boaters!

• Stayed August 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Granted it was their Annual Halloween parade/party night. We were awake all night due to the party crowd being disrespectful of other patrons with children who were trying to sleep. Not my kind of place,especially for the price we paid.On the list of never to return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We knowingly chose to stay at Champlins with our 3 children after hearing just average feedback. We did so because after weighing our options with the traditional inns/hotels in old harbor and rentals this appeared to be the best kid friendly option. We could all stay in one room with air conditioning and a private bathroom - which can be rare for this island. That along with a pool with bar/restaurant service pool side, playground, bumper boats, fishing off the docks and the yoga studio next door were all attractive features. The ammenities/ activities did serve their purpose BUT all was run down. This place needs TLC and owners and staff who honor first class service! The property has so much potential - if it was cared for. It is clear the bread and butter is the Marina and boat services. There is broken abandoned furniture, tools, etc stored under the building exposed to guests as we walk up the stairs to our rooms. Boaters docked for the night BBQ, shower and hang out on the property which can be disruptive if you are in rooms closer to the dock. Overall this place could be a real gem if they made an attempt to uphold the charm and beauty of this island. It's a shame that they haven't done so.

• Stayed July 2014
New London, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Oh boy, where to start? I arrived on Monday, June 24th to start a job at Champlins as a bartender.Upon arriving I was shown my "free" room, and was totally repulsed, concrete floor, stained matreeses,no sheets or pillows, dirty mini fridge, filthy toilet, no working shower, no hot water at bathroom sink, no bathroom mirror,no shower curtain, and absolutely no where to store your belongings, not a dresser, not even a simple shelving unit. When I asked for cleaning supplies and other neccessities, no one ever got back to me, and I was told by co workers that if you needed anything you had to scrounge for it, which I did. I mean it wasn't like they didn't know I was coming,and they had ALL winter to get these rooms at the very least liveable.
As far as the actual employment experience was concerned, this place is a joke, no set schedules, you had to contact your supervisor every morning to find out if you were going to work that day. I wasn't given the desireable shifts, because they were given to people who had worked there prior seasons, people who had far less experience than myself, they actually had given prime shifts to one of there maintenance people, who believe me had no right being behind a bar. (And they wonder why they have service issues)
On to the restaurant, which was run by this pseudo chef, who for whatever reason was given complete control as when to open or more importantly not to open,which of course was not communicated to anyone on staff, so we had no idea what to tell guests, when asked about availability. I actually witnessed 25 resort guests turned away from the restaurant, because the chef had decided to shut the restaurant for lunch on Fourth of July weekend. Unbelievable!
In all fairness to my former co workers, the main reason service is so poor here is not on them, that solely rests on the shoulders of very poor management of the entire operation, which leads to low morale and apathy. No communication whatsoever as to what maybe going on at the resort, which of course makes it very difficult to make an informed decision on the guests part.
So after 2 weeks I decided to leave the confines of this less than desireable "resort" and head home to what I hope to be greener pastures.It really is too bad that this beautiful piece of property is run by a bunch of bafoons.
In closing, if you're considering working for these people, I hope this review will give you some insight, as to your decision making process, also with so many other great options available on Block Island, I would avoid this place at all costs, whether you're a potential employee or a person who wishes to enjoy their vacation.Peace
'

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

It was my first visit to Block Island, and Champlin's Resort had a swimming pool as cold as ice, their restaurant was closed, and didn't open until the weekend, and I wasn't always able to contact the office when I had a problem!

Room Tip: Block Island has NO regular phones in their hotels and NO payphones! Pack your cell phone recharg...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Madison, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This place should be investigated and turned in to the labor board,for unhealthy living conditions for their employees...this is not third world! Mold and filth are deplorable,as is no water and electric...parents,beware if your sibling is working and being given free housing at CHAMPLINS RESORT??ITS DEPLORABLE.rats live in better conditions..If they treat help this way,how clean is the kitchen ???ugh!

Room Tip: Would ques. The cleanliness...should be reported to the health dept...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Champlin's Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!