“small room with charm” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
Poughkeepsie, NY
“small room with charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

Although the room was small it wasn't uncomfortable. If we stayed longer than two nights though it might have been a little tight. The hotel has a great porch that was just built and has lots of wicker furniture to lounge on.

My biggest complaint is probably minor to some. The tv only had three channels and they were all fuzzy. If this doesn't bother you than it's good. We brought our portable dvd player in anticipation of this.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the rooms do not have an alarm clock or phone. Therefore you will need an alarm of some sort if you want to get up by a certain time. All of the electricity in the room is controlled by the lightswitch. Therefore if you don't flip the switch you can't watch the tv. We discovered this when we tried to watch tv during the day and our tv didn't work.

Overall block island is beautiful and worth a visit. The room doesn't matter to me much so it wasn't a big deal, but to some the size and run down furnishings might be a problem. Go here if you just want a room.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The thin walls
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Mass.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

I wasn't impressed with the Harborside but I can't complain since we only paid $159 for two double beds in the middle of the high season. The location is great, across from the ferry and walking distance to Ballard's Beach (great waves!). However, the room was was musty and it looked like there was mold on the bathroom ceiling. The beds were hard and uncomfortable. The cold croissant and blueberry muffin for continental breakfast wasn't appetizing. They didn't offer decaf coffee in the lobby and the waitress said the hotel has a 'limit policy' on how much milk they can give guests for their coffee. It wasn't a horrible stay but just a hotel I will probably not return to.

• Stayed July 2006
New YOrk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

Just got back from spending two nights at the Harborside Inn. Our room, #218 was horrible...it was so small we could hardly find a place to open our suitcase to unpack. Our room was right above the exhaust fan from the restaurant so that was all you heard all night. The mattress was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on and having no curtains on the windows is not good if you want to sleep past sunrise. The location is good, since you are right in the middle of town, and the breakfast at the restaurant was good. But this place really needs to update their guest rooms. The furniture is pretty old and ugly and just the size of the room is depressing. Really loved Block Island and would like to go back but would NEVER stay at the Harborside again. Was glad I only had to sleep there two nights...my back could not take another night on that mattress!!

• Stayed July 2006
RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

Overall the Harborside Inn is a good hotel and it serves its purpose... you don't go to Block Island to spend all day in your hotel room.

The rooms are small but manageable and they do a pretty good job of keeping them clean.

A maid did come to my room at about 9:00 one morning and I told her I'd be leaving in about 10 minutes and could she come back? She said yes but never came back!

If you have an Ocean View... it's tough to beat that view! The noise on the Main Street of B.I. can get loud at night but eventually you don't even notice it.

The hotel definitely provides a good value and a place to rest your head at night and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

After reading previous reviews, I felt compelled to write about my experience at the Harborside Inn. As a family of four, its always troublesome to find accomodations which are "kid-friendly" but this Inn fit the bill. We were able to reserve a great room with an ocean view, and the large deck allowed for us to spend a great evening on the deck, chatting and playing cards. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful when my son cut his finger; they really went above and beyond to assist me. You couldnt ask for a better location -- so close to the beach. Yes, the rooms do tend to run a little small but nothing too extreme. The restaurant on the first level, Harbor Grill, was fantastic and they have a wonderful wine list. Take a trip to the Block and chose the Harborside on Water Street, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

First of all, the harborside Inn staff was incredible. They were so friendly and helpful, and very attractive as well! Being a single guy, it was easy to find a room in their Inn, I had just what I needed, a beautiful Ocean view that was steps from the beach. I enjoyed amazing food at the Harbor Grill... I had such a wonderful time here on Block Island and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed June 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2005

Let me preface this review by saying that I am from New York City. As such, I am used to small spaces. However, I've never encountered as small a room as I did at the Harborside Inn. Our room did not have even a dresser or shelves so we could put our clothes away. In fact, our sink was in our "bedroom" so we barely had enough room to both stand up in the room at once. The staff was indifferent and the restaurant was pretty good, but if you're a couple planning to spend some QT in the room, don't stay here. It's way too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to The Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!