“It Was a Value in October” 3 of 5 stars

The Harborside Inn
213 Water Street, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #21 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
Oxford, Connecticut
“It Was a Value in October”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I had talked about visiting Block Island for a few years. Truthfully, I was scared off by the old hotels without A/C. (I can’t sleep in a room over 75 degrees). When I looked at hotels again this year, I was pleased to see that a few were beginning to add air conditioning.

I selected The Harbor Side Inn for three reasons…A/C and TV, the location, and the price. I booked this back in August for a stay the weekend of October 4 – 6. When I booked the room through Block Island Reservations, the rate was $149 per night. That seemed reasonable.

I just happened to check the BI Reservation sight about two weeks before our trip and I noticed that the available rooms had dropped in price to $109 per night. I called BI Reservations and they immediately adjusted my rate to the new lower rate. The room was worth $109/night. I might have been worth $149 in peak season; but, I was happy with the value.

I selected room 219. It was a corner room with two full size beds. This room is right over the hotel’s restaurant. (It was closed for the season; but, that may have been noisy if it were opened). This rom is also on an alley that leads to two ice cream shops (also, both closed for the season). I don’t think that I would want to be on that side of the hotel in prime season.

The room wasn’t overly small; and, it was fine for a weekend stay. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. Each bed had four pillows. The bathroom was small; but, it was fine. The switch for the overhead light worked sometimes and other times you had to flick it two or three times before the light would come on. The only other light in the room was a table lamp on the night stand between the two beds. One of the support-spokes for the shade was broken; and, the shade would slip if you touched it. Otherwise, the room was clean and in reasonable condition.

As has been stated repeatedly, all the hotels on the island are old. I was prepared for the worst; but, I was pleasantly surprised. There really was a charm to the old hotels. The only real problem we had was the stairs. The stairs from the lobby to the second floor are step, slanted and uneven. The elderly person or anyone with walking difficulties would have a real problem staying at this hotel.

The air conditioner is a free-standing unit. It does take up space in the room. But, in this room, the A/C unit fit nicely between the dresser and the closet area.

Now that we have explored the island and have better sense about what is here, I don’t know that we would stay at the Harbor Side again

Room Tip: Rooms 219, 217 and 215 face the street/ocean. However, they are right over the Harbor Grill restaur...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sussex, Wisconsin, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel was convenient as it's located right across the street from ferry terminal. It does have small rooms, so-so beds, small showers and no heat (but there was an A/C unit connected to the window in our room). The staff was pleasant. We opted to do a package deal with the hotel after Labor Day that featured our room, bike rentals, $100 in food coupons to two local restaurants, a welcome bag and chairs and an umbrella for the beach. Very nice. There are shops and restaurants within walking distance. The property also has a restaurant on the grounds, but it was closed for the season during our September visit. Hot water, tea and hot chocolate and coffee are available adjacent to the lobby. There is a nice porch on the front of the building to relax and enjoy a cup of java or read a good book. There are about 25 channels for TV, but no ESPN, so plan on going to a nearby pub if you need to get your sports fill. Wifi costs more than $3 per day. All in all, we were satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the water side will give you the morning sun and breezes.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed the weekend after Labor Day in room 301. This is a historic hotel directly across the street from the Old Harbor Ferry. We enjoyed the character of this hotel, which does include uneven floors, very crooked stairs from the first floor to the second floor and very steep, narrow steps to the 3rd floor. There's no elevator but the staff would have helped carry luggage if we needed help.

Our room was on a corner, away from the restaurant and bar area. We had 2 windows. The windows are new. A/C was in the form of a portable unit that sits on the floor and vents out the window. It was cool while we were there so we didn't need to use it. The room is small with a double bed, a night stand, a chair and a dresser. It also has a small area to hang up clothes and store luggage. The bath room is small but clean and functional. No hair dryer so brought my own. Overall the room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable.

One disadvantage of this room is it is directly next to the stairs so you will hear noise as folks make their way slowly up and down the steep wooden steps. Another disadvange is that you face the ferry dock area and the street so you will hear street noise. We solved that with a free white noise generator app on a smart phone which blocked the majority of the noise. The staff was very friendly and we really liked the luggage storage room since we arrived to Block Island well before the normal check in time and didn't take a return ferry until mid-afternoon. Another nice touch was calling my cell to tell me our room was ready. Breakfast was great, we opted to use the $4/off a regular breakfast instead of the free continental breakfast.

The hotel is in a great location, an easy walk to the ferry, restaurants, shopping and the beach.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel was very old, as are most on Block Island. The room was very clean and air conditioned but very small. There was almost no place to put luggage and clothing. Staff was attentive, helpful, and polite. We got a great package deal, midweek after Labor Day, which was a pretty nice time to be there. The location was perfect, in town and across the street from the ferry. Many places to eat within walking distance with bike and moped rentals onsite. Knowing that the rooms are small and old, I would recommend this place. We enjoyed very nice breakfasts on the front porch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ocean BEach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I arrived on the first boat of the day from Pt. Judith RI. We were there for a mid-week stay. It was the third week of a heat wave and the breezes were very welcome. We arrived at the hotel, our rooms weren't ready yet. We stored our bags and rented a motor scooter for a quick trip around the Island. Our room was ready around 2:30 and we found a somewhat small but clean and air conditioned room looking out over Water St., the ferry terminal and the ocean in the distance. The bed was comfortable, the shower while somewhat dark was clean and with good pressure.

The location of the Harborside is great, right in mid-town Old Town, an easy walk to eat, drink and head for the beach. Rent a scooter the first day and then hit the roads on bikes. The rental places are right around the corner. Check with the hotel prior to arriving, they may have deals. As you cruise around, if you've ever been to Ireland, Block has the same rolling hills and rock walls, the same feel on the roads. We had a great time and will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were visiting friends and family who rented a house on Block Island. We booked the Harborside Inn for two reasons: the rooms had A/C and its proximity to the ferry dock; unfortunately our ferry actually docked in New Harbor several miles away, but we made do.
We loved the old New England look of the hotel but a lot of the structure was warped and crooked, but that should be expected when you are situated by the water of a small island.
The lobby was small and quaint and check in was a breeze. The room had several pros and cons:
The room door had a huge gap at the top corner. We had to stuff a towel in the door at night to block out the hallway lights and sound travel. Decor was very quaint but it suited the room. The air conditioning was in the form of a portable A/C unit situated on a wood stool anchored to the floor next to the window. It made getting around the room a bit inconvenient but considering the alternative we again made do. I did not find the bed to be comfortable. Bathroom was simple but could have used a soap dish on the sink. The towels were clean but you could see the dried-in stains on most of them.
We ate at the Harbor Grill for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was not very good but the breakfast was much better (loved my American omelette) and guests are offered coupons for free continental breakfast (limit 2 items) or $4 off the regular breakfast menu.
We rented beach chairs and an umbrella for the beaches, but the items are rented through the moped rental behind the inn. The equipment was a bit shoddy but it did the job.
The best thing about this hotel is its location. You're right by a group of other hotel/restaurants with shopping and dessert places less than a 1/2 mile of walking distance. We did rent a car for our stay and while the hotel had no private parking, there is public street-front parking with a 2 hour limit from 8am to 8pm.
This hotel is by no means luxury. Rooms still use actual keys vs key cards, there is no elevator, and the staff is made of young people in their late teens or early 20's. But the staff were friendly and helpful and since the restaurants in the area closed around 9-10pm, it was fairly quiet at night.
We left just as Labor Day Weekend started so no comment on how the hotel was for that time period. Don't know if I would stay here again, but for a first time visitor to Block Island I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I just spent a wonderful weekend at Block Island at the Harborside Inn.. The Harborside Inn is conveniently located across from the ferry. The staff was very friendly. The Inn provides a continental breakfast . We also have lunch . The food was excellent. Rooms are air conditioned and has a TV. We were on the third floor with a view. Carrying our luggage to the third floor was a little tough. This is an old building without an elevator. We are in our seventies so if you are older try to get a room on the lower level. I am sure if we needed help someone would have assisted us. We didn't ask. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!