My wife and I had talked about visiting Block Island for a few years. Truthfully, I was scared off by the old hotels without A/C. (I can’t sleep in a room over 75 degrees). When I looked at hotels again this year, I was pleased to see that a few were beginning to add air conditioning.
I selected The Harbor Side Inn for three reasons…A/C and TV, the location, and the price. I booked this back in August for a stay the weekend of October 4 – 6. When I booked the room through Block Island Reservations, the rate was $149 per night. That seemed reasonable.
I just happened to check the BI Reservation sight about two weeks before our trip and I noticed that the available rooms had dropped in price to $109 per night. I called BI Reservations and they immediately adjusted my rate to the new lower rate. The room was worth $109/night. I might have been worth $149 in peak season; but, I was happy with the value.
I selected room 219. It was a corner room with two full size beds. This room is right over the hotel’s restaurant. (It was closed for the season; but, that may have been noisy if it were opened). This rom is also on an alley that leads to two ice cream shops (also, both closed for the season). I don’t think that I would want to be on that side of the hotel in prime season.
The room wasn’t overly small; and, it was fine for a weekend stay. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. Each bed had four pillows. The bathroom was small; but, it was fine. The switch for the overhead light worked sometimes and other times you had to flick it two or three times before the light would come on. The only other light in the room was a table lamp on the night stand between the two beds. One of the support-spokes for the shade was broken; and, the shade would slip if you touched it. Otherwise, the room was clean and in reasonable condition.
As has been stated repeatedly, all the hotels on the island are old. I was prepared for the worst; but, I was pleasantly surprised. There really was a charm to the old hotels. The only real problem we had was the stairs. The stairs from the lobby to the second floor are step, slanted and uneven. The elderly person or anyone with walking difficulties would have a real problem staying at this hotel.
The air conditioner is a free-standing unit. It does take up space in the room. But, in this room, the A/C unit fit nicely between the dresser and the closet area.
Now that we have explored the island and have better sense about what is here, I don’t know that we would stay at the Harbor Side again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places this 36 room inn is located directly across the street from the Old Harbor Ferry landing and less than a five minute walk to the beach. Each of the rooms have a private bathroom and have undergone renovations including new furnishings, mattresses, and flat screen TVs with Direct TV. As of 2013 every room has air-conditioning! This charming property was built in the late 1800's and offers some of Block Island's most competitive rates. Other amenities include: luggage storage room, complimentary coffee & ice in lobby, complimentary WiFi in lobby, and onsite restaurant. We offer discounted rates for bikes, mopeds, beach chairs and umbrellas when reservations are made online. We also have great midweek packages including ferry tickets, bikes, dining vouchers with a two night stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Otel, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your The Harborside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Harborside Hotel Block Island
- Harborside Inn Block Island