“Good after Labor Day Deal” 3 of 5 stars

The Harborside Inn
213 Water Street, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #18 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Good after Labor Day Deal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel was very old, as are most on Block Island. The room was very clean and air conditioned but very small. There was almost no place to put luggage and clothing. Staff was attentive, helpful, and polite. We got a great package deal, midweek after Labor Day, which was a pretty nice time to be there. The location was perfect, in town and across the street from the ferry. Many places to eat within walking distance with bike and moped rentals onsite. Knowing that the rooms are small and old, I would recommend this place. We enjoyed very nice breakfasts on the front porch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ocean BEach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I arrived on the first boat of the day from Pt. Judith RI. We were there for a mid-week stay. It was the third week of a heat wave and the breezes were very welcome. We arrived at the hotel, our rooms weren't ready yet. We stored our bags and rented a motor scooter for a quick trip around the Island. Our room was ready around 2:30 and we found a somewhat small but clean and air conditioned room looking out over Water St., the ferry terminal and the ocean in the distance. The bed was comfortable, the shower while somewhat dark was clean and with good pressure.

The location of the Harborside is great, right in mid-town Old Town, an easy walk to eat, drink and head for the beach. Rent a scooter the first day and then hit the roads on bikes. The rental places are right around the corner. Check with the hotel prior to arriving, they may have deals. As you cruise around, if you've ever been to Ireland, Block has the same rolling hills and rock walls, the same feel on the roads. We had a great time and will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were visiting friends and family who rented a house on Block Island. We booked the Harborside Inn for two reasons: the rooms had A/C and its proximity to the ferry dock; unfortunately our ferry actually docked in New Harbor several miles away, but we made do.
We loved the old New England look of the hotel but a lot of the structure was warped and crooked, but that should be expected when you are situated by the water of a small island.
The lobby was small and quaint and check in was a breeze. The room had several pros and cons:
The room door had a huge gap at the top corner. We had to stuff a towel in the door at night to block out the hallway lights and sound travel. Decor was very quaint but it suited the room. The air conditioning was in the form of a portable A/C unit situated on a wood stool anchored to the floor next to the window. It made getting around the room a bit inconvenient but considering the alternative we again made do. I did not find the bed to be comfortable. Bathroom was simple but could have used a soap dish on the sink. The towels were clean but you could see the dried-in stains on most of them.
We ate at the Harbor Grill for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was not very good but the breakfast was much better (loved my American omelette) and guests are offered coupons for free continental breakfast (limit 2 items) or $4 off the regular breakfast menu.
We rented beach chairs and an umbrella for the beaches, but the items are rented through the moped rental behind the inn. The equipment was a bit shoddy but it did the job.
The best thing about this hotel is its location. You're right by a group of other hotel/restaurants with shopping and dessert places less than a 1/2 mile of walking distance. We did rent a car for our stay and while the hotel had no private parking, there is public street-front parking with a 2 hour limit from 8am to 8pm.
This hotel is by no means luxury. Rooms still use actual keys vs key cards, there is no elevator, and the staff is made of young people in their late teens or early 20's. But the staff were friendly and helpful and since the restaurants in the area closed around 9-10pm, it was fairly quiet at night.
We left just as Labor Day Weekend started so no comment on how the hotel was for that time period. Don't know if I would stay here again, but for a first time visitor to Block Island I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Hartford, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I just spent a wonderful weekend at Block Island at the Harborside Inn.. The Harborside Inn is conveniently located across from the ferry. The staff was very friendly. The Inn provides a continental breakfast . We also have lunch . The food was excellent. Rooms are air conditioned and has a TV. We were on the third floor with a view. Carrying our luggage to the third floor was a little tough. This is an old building without an elevator. We are in our seventies so if you are older try to get a room on the lower level. I am sure if we needed help someone would have assisted us. We didn't ask. We will definitely return.

Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife Lynne and I stayed many times on Block Island but this was by far the best time we have had due to staying at the Harborside Inn. The staff was great, the atmosphere was unbeatable but most of all the food was out of this world. We ended up eating all but one of our meals for the week there because it was so good. I have read other reviews about how small the rooms were and how the floors are crooked but that's what give it its charm. We are looking to stay here again this yr. and many more to come. Chris Masi, Plymouth, Ct.

Room Tip: expect a small but nice room. It has 3 floors but no elevator so be aware of that fact.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Concord, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Recommend this hotel for convenience and value. Midweek high summer season last minute thought price was fair. Yes room was small, but AC, cable TV, private bath, quiet. No view, but walk outside and view is everywhere. Coffee and tea available in Lobby, breakfast (continental) included or order off menu. Also convenient. Felt prices at bar or for lunch also pretty good. Remember you are on island and prices reflect that added transport cost. 3.50 for beer, that is not bad! Storage room convenient, 10 am checkout a bit early. Would stay here again. Don't know if I would pay extra for view. I though back room was fine and AC with soft hum kept room comfortable and masked any sound from hall. (Which was not at all an issue where my room was).

Room Tip: 227 small with a full size bed, bureau and one window with AC in it. Good sized bath with shower...
Maynard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful day on Block Island! We took the traditional ferry from Point Judith on Thursday morning, spent the day exploring the island, then the night at the Harborside Inn, returning to reality and the mainland Friday morning.
We arrived on the island well before the 3:00 check in, but that was not a problem as the Harborside has a place for guests who arrive early (or want to spend more time on the island after checkout) to store luggage until our room was ready. The front desk clerk invited us to relax on the porch if we wanted, complimentary coffee and tea are available in the lobby. We took advantage of the luggage storage and went off to find lunch and walk the beach. Well before 3:00 I got a call telling me our room was ready, a small amenity, but nice. The room on the third floor was small to be sure, but this is clear in the room description, so not unexpected. The view on the ocean side is wonderful, our corner room overlooked the harbor and the jetty. The room was fresh and clean, the bed and bath well appointed. The bed linens were crisp and bath towels plentiful and soft.
And I send kudos to the young staff!!! The clerk at the reception area was helpful and pleasant. The wait staff on the porch were appropriate and attentive, I left my camera behind by mistake and the young lady servicing the area where I sat had taken notice that I was a guest of the hotel, so made sure my camera was returned to me.
I had a picture perfect day on Block Island and stay at the Harborside Inn, my husband and I hope to return around the same time next year, making this an annual event/visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!