“best time in yrs.!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
Hartford, Connecticut
“best time in yrs.!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife Lynne and I stayed many times on Block Island but this was by far the best time we have had due to staying at the Harborside Inn. The staff was great, the atmosphere was unbeatable but most of all the food was out of this world. We ended up eating all but one of our meals for the week there because it was so good. I have read other reviews about how small the rooms were and how the floors are crooked but that's what give it its charm. We are looking to stay here again this yr. and many more to come. Chris Masi, Plymouth, Ct.

Room Tip: expect a small but nice room. It has 3 floors but no elevator so be aware of that fact.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Concord, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Recommend this hotel for convenience and value. Midweek high summer season last minute thought price was fair. Yes room was small, but AC, cable TV, private bath, quiet. No view, but walk outside and view is everywhere. Coffee and tea available in Lobby, breakfast (continental) included or order off menu. Also convenient. Felt prices at bar or for lunch also pretty good. Remember you are on island and prices reflect that added transport cost. 3.50 for beer, that is not bad! Storage room convenient, 10 am checkout a bit early. Would stay here again. Don't know if I would pay extra for view. I though back room was fine and AC with soft hum kept room comfortable and masked any sound from hall. (Which was not at all an issue where my room was).

Room Tip: 227 small with a full size bed, bureau and one window with AC in it. Good sized bath with shower...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Maynard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful day on Block Island! We took the traditional ferry from Point Judith on Thursday morning, spent the day exploring the island, then the night at the Harborside Inn, returning to reality and the mainland Friday morning.
We arrived on the island well before the 3:00 check in, but that was not a problem as the Harborside has a place for guests who arrive early (or want to spend more time on the island after checkout) to store luggage until our room was ready. The front desk clerk invited us to relax on the porch if we wanted, complimentary coffee and tea are available in the lobby. We took advantage of the luggage storage and went off to find lunch and walk the beach. Well before 3:00 I got a call telling me our room was ready, a small amenity, but nice. The room on the third floor was small to be sure, but this is clear in the room description, so not unexpected. The view on the ocean side is wonderful, our corner room overlooked the harbor and the jetty. The room was fresh and clean, the bed and bath well appointed. The bed linens were crisp and bath towels plentiful and soft.
And I send kudos to the young staff!!! The clerk at the reception area was helpful and pleasant. The wait staff on the porch were appropriate and attentive, I left my camera behind by mistake and the young lady servicing the area where I sat had taken notice that I was a guest of the hotel, so made sure my camera was returned to me.
I had a picture perfect day on Block Island and stay at the Harborside Inn, my husband and I hope to return around the same time next year, making this an annual event/visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Peters, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Block Island is like a slice of heaven here on earth and The Harborside Inn is in the hearth of all the action of old harbor. While the rooms are a bit small but they are clean and air conditioned which is a big plus. The mid-week deal we tried included ferry tickets, dinner at two locations, bikes, beech chairs and umbrella and several other incidentals, we think it was a good deal over all. The staff was very helpful and accomodating and we enjoyed our stay. We have stayed at about ten different locations at Block Island over the years and we found this stay to be a positively memorable one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
West Brookfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Great price, meals were good price , great service - yes you need to climb stairs (we were on the third floor)- very clean - will go back! Very happy! Central location - walked to every thing - had AC in rooms - Reminds me of a good Euro hotel...

N Jones

Room Tip: If I booked ahead I would try the second floor..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BIReservations, General Manager at The Harborside Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a great review. We appreciate your input and your business!
Foxboro, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We checked in on 7/8 and went up to our room to leave our things and wait for the rest of our party to get off the slow ferry. By the time I left the room and got downstairs, I realized I forgot my sunglasses. I went back up to the room, and they were gone (along with a protein drink and a bottle of water). Asked the cleaning lady in the hallway and she swore she did not have them, but said someone went in our room to leave fresh towels. We had just checked in and there were already new towels in the room for us. Went to the front desk and was told that 'if our cleaning crew says they didnt take them, then they didnt take them. We dont hire liars or thieves'. After putting up a fight for a few minutes, another cleaning lady comes down the stairs with my glasses. I didnt ask for an explanation of where they were, just happy to have gotten them back. And we made sure to leave the do not disturb on the outside of the door to keep the cleaning crew out the whole two days we were there. and hid our valuables or brought them with us!

The stairways going up to the rooms are so slanted, you feel like you're either on the ferry still in rocky water, or really drunk (or combination of both). The floors throughout the whole upstairs are so slanted. We stayed in room 223, which had views of fake vines/flowers on lattice workout. The room served its purpose, as we only slept there and spent the days outside of the hotel.

We've been to Block Island every summer for the last 12 years. We've stayed at Champlin's, 1661, Manisses, Blue Dory. First time staying at Harborside. A/C was the main reason we chose to stay here.

Would we stay here again, maybe. But would not trust the employees!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
To the guests who state that our cleaning crew stole from them:
I have to say this is not an accurate account of the events that took place during your stay at our inn. In fact, I was one of the people at the front desk when your sunglasses were turned in. They were dropped in the lobby (assuming as you were checking in) and I watched another guest who was dropping her things in our luggage room pick them up off the lobby floor and hand them in saying "I think someone dropped these" as she did. She handed them to me and I thanked her hoping that the owners would be back to claim them. A short while later I heard from one of our very upset housekeepers that you had accused them of stealing. In regards to throwing away the partially empty bottle of water and protein drink, I believe this did actually happen, and for this I apologize. The housekeepers thought they were garbage as they were dropping off the fresh towels.

We are very fortunate to have an honest staff. We have never had a theft reported here and we rely on each other to keep it that way.

Our stairways and some of the floors are slanted. That is a fact. This inn was built in the late 1800's and throughout the years the building has settled leaving some areas uneven. This is not dangerous nor is it something we plan to change. Many return guest consider it part of the charm of this historic Victorian seaside inn.

We appreciate your business and we are glad that you may return. Theft is a strong and damaging accusation and in this case, not true.
Bethlehem, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We've been to BI many, many times before but this is the first time to stay at the Harborside. Since we've stayed at several other places on the island we were not expecting to have a private bath, AC and a flat screen TV in our room. (we always had to share a bath and no AC or TV.) We did not hear the noise that some people complain about and slept very well on the queen sized bed and the mid week price was great for all we got.

We had lunch at the Harbor Grill (the restaurant connected with the inn) after we arrived. The service from our waitress, Melinda was terrific. She was very friendly but professional and quite knowledgeable in the menu choices.The portions were quite large and I was unable to finish my Oriental chicken salad.

We were able to check in right after lunch before the 3 PM checkin time. (the baggage room in the back of the lobby was a great convenience both before checking in and when we checked out. We had breakfast the next morning at the Grill. We opted not for the Continental breakfast they offer for free but both got tasty omelettes (Greek and California) $4 off each and again the portions were large. The price was comparable to the price for breakfast off island.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Harborside and will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!