“Why should I feel guilty if I want WiFi?” 2 of 5 stars

The Harborside Inn
213 Water Street, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #19 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Why should I feel guilty if I want WiFi?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Nice old New England hotel, no air conditioning. We enjoyed the restaurant, and the view over the harbor is enjoyable.
The WIFI killed me though. They have one router sitting behind the bar for the whole hotel, and it is pathetically slow. The hotel should not even offer this service, it just makes the guests angry.

Room Tip: Don't come in the summer.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
cape cod ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was our second stay at the Harborside Inn and this time the "charm" just didn't cut it. It's difficult to fault a facility directly across from the ferry but this is really a " has been" place. We stayed in the room we had previously stayed as there are only maybe two with air conditioning, however, we pretty much didn't sleep. The rooms are old and not remotely charming, just stale and funky. The restaurant and bar are dark and rather creepy and certainly not welcoming.

The one bright spot is the front porch which is large and comfortable and you can enjoy whatever the bar serves on the porch. Our morning coffee was the highlight at the Harborside as we could escape from our yucky room and enjoy it on the porch.

I will be making reservations for next year and for certain we will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't bother with their archaic air conditioner, it looks like a washing machine in your room an...
Franklin, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Having stayed here years ago, I knew it was a small room in an old building. We had an oceanview room (which should be called the spectator room because it's more a view of the street and all the people coming off the ferry's!) so I knew to bring a small fan with us - which allowed a nice cross breeze when combined with their fan. Upon arriving, we took our shoes off only to find the floor was inundated with sand and later found bottle caps on the floor that weren't ours - someone forgot to sweep I guess! The hotel has it's charm and we were all about relaxing, so we were fine. Our second night there around 8pm, we were really upset that there was not a stitch of hot water to be had! 8:00 at night ... they told us everyone in the hotel was getting ready to go out, to wait a 1/2 hour. I found this bothersome because we took hot showers just before check out time each day and there was plenty of water. Also, if I do the math correctly, this hotel is pulling in at least $8K a night .. that could certainly buy a heft water heater I would believe!! We met a couple at the front desk who were explaining how they thought they dropped an earring on the floor, only to find a dead bird under the dresser! Guess they didn't sweep that room either! The front desk staff was so/so. The convenience of the luggage room to enjoy another day is ideal! The restaurant was very good for breakfast - a continental breakfast was included - or - you could take $4 off another breakfast selection. For some reason we got the same thing 2 days in a row and our bill was completely different! For lunch, we were disappointed that our food wasn't cooked, but they did accommodate us by taking it off the bill. It's the perfect location and it was quiet enough to get a nice nap in on a drizzly day. I would stay here again, but need to remember the pros/cons and not have any expectations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oyster Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I should start off by saying that if you are looking for an "upscale" locations with loads of 5 star hotels and amenities, then Block Island is not for you. The Harborside is an historic building with lots of charm. It is located in the heart of the town and within easy walking distances to beaches, shops, restaurants and bars. As such, you will hear the street noise in the morning and in the evenings. The rooms are small and not much else fits in them besides the bed. We had a large bathroom but others in our party had much smaller ones. The room had a fan but not sure if it would help much on a real hot night. Our TV was really small and the room had no closet. It did have a rack with hangers but they were the kind you could not take off the pole and were difficult to use. Having said all that, the hotel has a lot of charm, the staff was great and added to the relaxed and casual feel of the place. The breakfast was good and the coupons made it very affordable. You are free to store your luggage and beach stuff in their storage room which made if so much easier on check in and check out days. The deck in the front of the hotel is great for sitting and relaxing at any time of day or night.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 01-09 are on the side of the hotel not above the restaurant and not as noisy.
New Marlborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I went to Block Island last week for the first time. After reading other reviews about the Harborside Inn, I booked a room there. First thing I noticed was that when our ferry pulled into the dock, the hotel was directly across the street, so conveniently located! It was an easy walk with our luggage to the hotel. Check in was professional and speedy. It was a very old hotel, and I was concerned that my room was on the 3rd floor, and there was no elevator to help me get my luggage upstairs. Luckily one of the other guests helped me. The floors were uneven from age, but that didn't bother me, it just added to the charm of the hotel. My room was small, but very clean and neat. My other concern was that the hotel had no air conditioning, just an oscillating fan. Supposedly it was going to cool down at night to 65 degrees, so I didn't think I would have a problem, but unfortunately, that night it stayed warm and muggy, so the fan wasn't much help. From what I understand this is unusual. Most of the hotels on the island don't have air conditioning, so the Harborside was not alone in the lack of cool air. My bed was comfortable; the bathroom was roomy and had all of the amenities I would have expected at a larger hotel. It was quite charming, and I enjoyed my stay there, despite the lack of air conditioning and an elevator. The free breakfast comprised of a small bagel and fruit, although the other breakfasts looked much more inviting, I stuck with what was included. There was a bicycle rental shop directly behind the hotel, with coupons at the front desk, so that was also convenient. You are able to walk to all kinds of shops, restaurants, and bars from thier location, so all in all, this was a good choice.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I recently stayed on Block Island at the Harborside Inn. When we first arrived we checked in to our room and the staff assured us we would be called as soon as our room was ready. Check in is usually at three but our room was ready by 12. The staff was very helpful in planning our days on the Island. We were able to speak to a young lady who lived on the island as a child and she told us about several GREAT locations to visit.

The Room was simple but perfect for the setting. The island is so beautiful you really don't have much time to spend in your room if you want to take full advantage of the beauty of the island. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The bed may have been a little hard but not uncomfortable by any means. We had one issue with the lights in our room but we understand that it is an old building and that's all part of the charm.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We booked a mid-week package at the Harborside Inn for our first trip to Block Island. The package was a good value and convenient in that it included the ferry tickets, bicycle rentals, beach chair rentals and dining certificates. The Harborside is a historic old building that is in walking distance from the ferry in the heart of Old Harbor, so it is convenient to everything. We happened to hit a heat wave and luckily had booked one of the few rooms with air conditioning, otherwise it could have been uncomfortable. The room was very small, but had pretty much what we needed since we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. The bed mattress was terrible and worse than what you would expect to find in a cheap motel. It was bearable for the two nights we were there. The restaurant in the Inn was very good and served breakfast, lunch and dinner. Much of the summer staff are young eastern europeans that come to work for the summer. It was a decent place for our first visit but when returning we will be looking to try one of the other establishments that were recommended by people we met on Block Island.

Room Tip: If going in the summer months, try to get a room with air conditioning. You won't get a water v...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!