“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 30 Block Island B&B and Inns
Oyster Bay
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I should start off by saying that if you are looking for an "upscale" locations with loads of 5 star hotels and amenities, then Block Island is not for you. The Harborside is an historic building with lots of charm. It is located in the heart of the town and within easy walking distances to beaches, shops, restaurants and bars. As such, you will hear the street noise in the morning and in the evenings. The rooms are small and not much else fits in them besides the bed. We had a large bathroom but others in our party had much smaller ones. The room had a fan but not sure if it would help much on a real hot night. Our TV was really small and the room had no closet. It did have a rack with hangers but they were the kind you could not take off the pole and were difficult to use. Having said all that, the hotel has a lot of charm, the staff was great and added to the relaxed and casual feel of the place. The breakfast was good and the coupons made it very affordable. You are free to store your luggage and beach stuff in their storage room which made if so much easier on check in and check out days. The deck in the front of the hotel is great for sitting and relaxing at any time of day or night.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 01-09 are on the side of the hotel not above the restaurant and not as noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
New Marlborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I went to Block Island last week for the first time. After reading other reviews about the Harborside Inn, I booked a room there. First thing I noticed was that when our ferry pulled into the dock, the hotel was directly across the street, so conveniently located! It was an easy walk with our luggage to the hotel. Check in was professional and speedy. It was a very old hotel, and I was concerned that my room was on the 3rd floor, and there was no elevator to help me get my luggage upstairs. Luckily one of the other guests helped me. The floors were uneven from age, but that didn't bother me, it just added to the charm of the hotel. My room was small, but very clean and neat. My other concern was that the hotel had no air conditioning, just an oscillating fan. Supposedly it was going to cool down at night to 65 degrees, so I didn't think I would have a problem, but unfortunately, that night it stayed warm and muggy, so the fan wasn't much help. From what I understand this is unusual. Most of the hotels on the island don't have air conditioning, so the Harborside was not alone in the lack of cool air. My bed was comfortable; the bathroom was roomy and had all of the amenities I would have expected at a larger hotel. It was quite charming, and I enjoyed my stay there, despite the lack of air conditioning and an elevator. The free breakfast comprised of a small bagel and fruit, although the other breakfasts looked much more inviting, I stuck with what was included. There was a bicycle rental shop directly behind the hotel, with coupons at the front desk, so that was also convenient. You are able to walk to all kinds of shops, restaurants, and bars from thier location, so all in all, this was a good choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I recently stayed on Block Island at the Harborside Inn. When we first arrived we checked in to our room and the staff assured us we would be called as soon as our room was ready. Check in is usually at three but our room was ready by 12. The staff was very helpful in planning our days on the Island. We were able to speak to a young lady who lived on the island as a child and she told us about several GREAT locations to visit.

The Room was simple but perfect for the setting. The island is so beautiful you really don't have much time to spend in your room if you want to take full advantage of the beauty of the island. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The bed may have been a little hard but not uncomfortable by any means. We had one issue with the lights in our room but we understand that it is an old building and that's all part of the charm.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We booked a mid-week package at the Harborside Inn for our first trip to Block Island. The package was a good value and convenient in that it included the ferry tickets, bicycle rentals, beach chair rentals and dining certificates. The Harborside is a historic old building that is in walking distance from the ferry in the heart of Old Harbor, so it is convenient to everything. We happened to hit a heat wave and luckily had booked one of the few rooms with air conditioning, otherwise it could have been uncomfortable. The room was very small, but had pretty much what we needed since we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. The bed mattress was terrible and worse than what you would expect to find in a cheap motel. It was bearable for the two nights we were there. The restaurant in the Inn was very good and served breakfast, lunch and dinner. Much of the summer staff are young eastern europeans that come to work for the summer. It was a decent place for our first visit but when returning we will be looking to try one of the other establishments that were recommended by people we met on Block Island.

Room Tip: If going in the summer months, try to get a room with air conditioning. You won't get a water v...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We booked this hotel spur of the moment enroute to Block Island. The location is terrific and convenient to ferries arriving in Old Harbor. We booked a small room with a double bed and private bath without a view. The room was clean and large enough for one night. We paid around $150 after taxes, which I felt was a fair price. Two major downsides were the lack of quiet in the hotel, partly because of the age of the walls and partly because of our fellow guests. It proved difficult to get a good night's sleep with teenagers running around the hallways. Our room was also adjacent to the stairs leading up from the lobby. The restaurant was adequate for breakfast, although the staff was somewhat inexperienced and slow to get orders. The view from the deck was beautiful.

The Harborside Inn wouldn't be my first choice on Block Island, but if I had a hard time finding a room or if I was on a budget the hotel is more than adequate. Probably best for short stays.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning at the hotel, so try to get a room with windown that faces the ocean so...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mystic, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location: directly across from the ferry in Old Harbor. It's also in the heart of Old Harbor. We never spend a lot of time in the room or at the hotel, so it was nice to be able to pop-in, drop purchases off, freshen up and head back out without losing a lot of travel time. The second best thing is that they have a bag storage area so, if you arrive early or plan to catch a late ferry back, you don't have to lug your bags around.

The hotel was built in the 1800's which mean small rooms; no big deal, we had plenty of room to move around. The room and bathrooms were clean. Our room didn't face the ocean so, we had a window AC unit that kept the room cool. Bad thing, being in the heart of everything and being built in 1800, you hear everything from outside. Luckily the AC drowned out the outside noise. Our bed was firm, but every time you moved it squeaked. Pillows were soft and I slept pretty well and I'm a very light sleeper.

The staff is mostly comprised of young kids from the Eastern Block. They were polite and did their jobs well. My only problem with this is, with our current economy I would like to have seen those jobs go to the unemployed who are citizens of our country.

The restaurant: view: magnificent. Sitting on the verandah overlooking the harbor. food: okay, nothing to write home about. Their computer system is a little screwy as is their breakfast coupons, don't be shocked to see multiple charges from the restaurant on your bank statement. Although, they do get cleaned up in a few days.

Overall, would I stay here again? Sure, because of the location. I'd just make sure I paid for my meals with cash.

Room Tip: If you go during the height of summer, ask for a non-ocean facing room; the AC will drown out the no...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I'm a little jaded as I used to cover Bermuda for work and also traveled to various locales and have stayed at some top notch places. If your mindset is right, the HS is not too bad. It's cheap. Staff is pretty attentive. Location is great if you are taking the ferry and not flying. My kids had a good time. I thought it was ok. However, and this is why dudes like myself, usually pay up for a better place (trust me I got the dough - I'm just cheap) --- the wife. My wife thought this place was disgusting, dirty, and that our room was way too small. Also, she complained the most about some cheap Ikea (new) furniture that gave off a bad odor that she could taste in her mouth 24 hours later. She truly hated this place. So, that's why you have such a variety of reviews. Everyone is different.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!