“Not my cup of tea” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Spring House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Block Island
Spring House Hotel
You added Spring House Hotel to your Saves list
52 Spring Street, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Block Island
P
“Not my cup of tea”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

The Spring House Hotel was missing a few things that I always look for in a hotel such as, air conditioning, TV, and curtains. I did not make these reservations myself so I was shocked to find that the hotel did not have air conditioning. When we arrived in our room, no assistance in finding it or brining up our luggage, it was very warm. We survived by leaving the windows open all night. This worked but there were no curtains in the room. Just a decorative valence and mini blinds. So in order to sleep comfortably we couldn't close the mini blinds. I would have preferred some sheer curtains for privacy. Also the bed in room 311 was very uncomfortable. The first night there I could barely sleep.

Overall it was bad, this just isn't my type of hotel.

• Liked — Location - it was easy to walk to retaurants and shops
  • Disliked — The bed, no air conditioning, no curtains, no tv, no internet, very overpriced, can look at the ocean but no beach
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Greenwich Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

I having been coming to Block Island for many years and always like to try new hotels on the Island. I was very disappointed by the dirty conditions of the rooms. There was mold and mildew on the ceilings in the bathroom. For $400 per night I would expect better conditions. The staff was rude and the morning breakfast was not edible. It consisted of stale bagels, cold coffee and spoiled fruit. Several guests complained to the owner, who did not care. The owner has no concept of customer service. He was as obnoxious as his staff. This hotel needs a face lift and a new owner who cares about customer satisfaction. There are much better places to stay on this Island.

• Liked — The view of the Atlantic Ocean
  • Disliked — The rooms were dirty, the staff was rude and the hotel overpriced
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
The Plains, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

After reading all the terrible reviews regarding the Spring House Hotel in Block Island, I figured I would defend the place!

I have been there every 4th of July for about 4 years now, and I absolutely LOVE the place!

I will say that this is not a place for people who want A/C and a TV...frankly, stay home if you want that. If you are on vacation, why are you in your hotel room watching TV?? Remember one thing...this is a Victorian Era hotel..they didn't have TV's or A/C back then.

The Spring House is a place for people who want to gather on the wrap around porch, have a cocktail and take in the spectacular views of the ocean and feel the breeze, or be out on the back patio and hang with friends and family. It is a place for people to gather in the warm and cozy bar in the front of the hotel, to sit on the front lawn with your kids and fly a kite or watch the boats on the water.

I can't believe that people could have a bad time at this place!

As far as the A/C goes, Block Island can get very cold at night. My husband and I have never once said...man, I wish they had A/C. Just open your windows and let the cool ocean breeze come in!

I hope that people will realize how much this place has to offer! It is a charming hotel.

I will say that the rooms are not the best, the shower is a trickle and they can be small and the floors not even, but this place is old! You are not paying 300+ a night for the room, you are paying for atmosphere. I would say it is TOTALLY worth it!

If you want A/C, Cable TV, no noise...Stay at the Holiday Inn. If you want romance, elegance, beauty, fun...Stay at the Spring House Hotel!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shower
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
southport, ct
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

Not a place to bring kids. Rooms are small, there is no a/c or tv. The breakfast served was awlful - we stayed there 4 days - 2 out of 4 the bagels were stale and we had to complain. Coffee was cold. Fresh fruit just sat there for hours - warm.

Staff not helpful. Wouldn't heat up a mac and cheese for me.

Deck and lawn view are very nice but you could stay at the 1881 where the service is great and just walk over to sit on the lawn.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — service - price
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled with family
trumbull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

Stay at the Spring House. It was a lovley stay, the view, the staff, and the menu was exceptional. Absolute wonderful service. Planning on returning in the next few weeks. Great Job!

North Conway, NH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

This is an incredible example of how not to run a hotel. We overlooked the first few rude examples of employees because we came to have a great time and didn't want to be negative. But the rudeness never stopped. It's unbelievable to me how a hotel can ask you for $400/night, then treat you like a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of their shoe. We even found (one of) the owner to be obnoxious and oblivious to running a customer-service establishment. Staying at the Spring House hotel for one night ruined our whole visit to Block Island. The place desperately needs new ownership.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay there!! run, run away
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
New Haven CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

Find another place. Mold on bath ceiling. One bar of soap, no AC. There living off the past.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Spring House Hotel? Share your experiences!