“Terrible, over priced, hot, uncomfortable” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Spring House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Block Island
Spring House Hotel
You added Spring House Hotel to your Saves list
52 Spring Street, Block Island, RI 02807   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Block Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“Terrible, over priced, hot, uncomfortable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

If you are going to Block Island do not stay at the Spring House Hotel. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. For $305.00 per night I received a hotel room with no air-conditioning. The room was 90 degrees when we tried to go to sleep. The room had no cable TV. There was mold in the shower. The bed literally had springs coming through the mattress. I was not informed there would be a wedding on the first night of our stay so half the hotels accommodations were closed off to us. They don't tell you that when you make your reservations. Plenty of other hotels to choose from on the island. It is a fun place to visit for a day. Not enough to do on the island more than one day.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
South Plainfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

This was the second time staying at the Spring House. We brought along two other couples the second time. We love staying at the Spring House because of the lovely views and eating breakfast on the back patio, the restaurant and the bar. The location is great too because you can walk to everything. I highly recommend the Spring House.

• Stayed September 2004
wlfd,ct.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2005

I could have written the same review as was written by the couple from New Jersey, visiting in September.
Actually I had to read the entire review as I thought my husband may have written it.
We paid $295. for a room facing a storage building. (Staff ran up and down the stairs most of the night into the wee hours.

After retiring from an exhausting day, we were jolted awake (10:45 pm) by a blast of loud music, and loud- yelling voices. (Ok so now we're up.) This went on until we had worked ourselves to a point of not being able to fall back asleep until well after the music stopped. (So much for getting an early start to the morning. )

Basically, It's not worth mentioning your disappointments or displeasure to staff because the staff do not care.
They offer no suggestions or apology. Once they collect your money their job is done.
We will never stay there again.
Though, I would recommend it to the younger party crowd. (Or the older party crowd.)No one will care about how loud you get. (At least, until the bar closes and they no longer can take your money.)

Sorry Spring House, but you have some work to do.

Glen Rock new Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2004

My wife and I have been traveling up to Block Island now for at least 5 or 6 years. We traditionally go around Sept. 15th to celebrate our anniversary and because the crowds are mostly gone and we can enjoy the peace and quiet of this lovely out of the way place.
I decided this year that instead of staying at a B&B we would stay at the Spring House Hotel; a beautiful Victorian Hotel over-looking the ocean. Big , big mistake. First of all we were put in the room directly over the bar. Now upon arrival early on a Monday the place was almost deserted. When we got back from the beach however we found out that the hotel was full of insurance guys in for a 4 day seminar. The bar that night was LOUD and the cigar smoke reeked up through the 100 year old floors.You can only imagine how loud a bunch of insurance guys get cutting loose for a 4 day get away from their wives.
The next morning my wife asked the sleepy desk clerk to move our room to a quieter place and were informed that the hotel was now booked!. I asked the clerk why in gods name would they not have put one of the good-old-boys in the rooms over the bar and the regular guests in the quieter part of the hotel, certainly they wouldn't have minded the noise since thy would have been in the bar making it anyway. I was meet with puzzled sleepy look.
I was told after some pressing that they did have a very small room in the annex across the lawn but she was sure that there would be no more noise from the insurance guys since they had other stuff planed for the rest of the week. We declined the room on that information and the inconvenience of packing up all our stuff again. Big mistake.
At 10:30 p.m.that night we were yanked from our sleep by the vibrations of a 3 note crappy bass player for the WEDDING PARTY band ! Nice call by the desk clerk....I guess I had to ask about every scenario to get a straight answer.
We did move to the annex and the room was fine . The annex is much quieter so book there if you really want to stay here.
The Spring House is fine for weddings and conventions but there are much better places to stay if your going for peace and quiet. The breakfast is coffee, juice muffins and bread served buffet style which is fine unless the place is all asses and elbows with insurance guys or wedding party guests.

San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

After reading the reviews here, I was very disappointed.

I stayed there labor day weekend 9/2/04 to 9/4/04

The brief summary is that it was very, very noisy at all times. The hotel staff was unapolegetic. Read on for more details (and why this is likely to affect you.)

Before I continue, let me start with what I like...
Great porch / patio overlooking the water. Nice inside bar.

The problem...

After I booked my 3 night minimum, non refundable $305/night + tax "ocean view" room I got a confirmation in the mail telling me something like: "The Spring House is a lovely place for weddings and functions, in order to accomodate these functions some dining areas may be closed but we'll be happy to help you make alternate dining arrangments."

What this meant is that on Saturday and Sunday there were weddings at the spring house. The reason you should worry about this is because according to the profile of the Spring House and the owner in the local paper there they do 60 weddings a season. Given the length of the season that means there is one every weekend day.

When we checked in we were given room 212 which opened directly on to the stairs. I should have complained right away, but I was trying to relax, so I said I'll let it go. That was a mistake. The lamps and pictures literally shook as partiers and families trumped up and down the stairs. This never ended before 12:30 AM

Saturday morning we were woken up by the lawn being mowed presumably for the wedding at 7:30 AM Saturday morning, right out side our window.

Sunday I wanted to take a nap about 3:30, but there was a wedding party with a DJ that was incredibly loud in the bar below my room. When I called to complain I was told the wedding would be over soon. The DJ stopped at 5:20.

That night it was cold so the inside bar was loud, I guess because nobody wanted to be outside, but after the DJ it was really not so bad, but as I was trying to crash about 11:30 there were several teenagers stting on the stairs directly outside our room talking.

I gave them 10 minutes to clear out, but they were drunk and showed no sign of leaving, so I went out and asked them to talk elsewhere. 10 minutes later I called the front desk to ask them to intervine. First they told me the noise I was hearing was the bar (common complaint I guess). After I explained that it was actually the people sititing outside my room they said "OK" and hung up with out so much as an apology.

On check out when I told them that they should price the room appropriately based on the noise and warn people about the weddings at booking time not afterwards all I got was a disinterested single word response "sorry". No attemp to make it up to me or console me, not even "it was a really busy weekend and I can see how it could have been loud, I am really sorry."

It ruined my trip, for the money you can stay anywhere or rent a house, so if you are not in the wedding take a pass.

Somers, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2004

FABULOUS! I walked into the Spring House Hotel because my 2 nieces wanted to spend the night and although we didn't have reservations, the hotel manager gave us a suite in the Annex building. Initially my nieces were like ...no TV?. There was a common area TV room with white wicker furniture for a cottagy-feel but we never watched TV. We had about 4 or 5 windows in the suite that opened, we overlooked the Ocean, the sunsets and sunrises were beautiful. We flew kites high up on the hill overlooking the ocean at night. The Hotel had a wedding that weekend so we got to hear a bag pipe orchestra and the DJ music coming from the bar. The continental breakfast was so-so with mediocre bagles and muffins but the views on the veranda were breathtaking in the morning as we sat on cute white wrought iron tables and chairs taking in the ocean view all around. The main building's front porch is another FABULOUS place to hang out and the adirondack chairs on the hill is yet another one. Oh let me not forget the front porch at the Annex building which is a very quiet place to sit on one of the rocking chairs to read a book. Prices reflect all that -- the BEST views on the Island with friendly staff, very clean rooms and they have HOT water. Would definitely stay there again if I feel like splurging $425 a night for the suite!

• Stayed July 2004
Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

I am a regular in Block Island and there is no better place to spend a romantic weekend than the Spring House Hotel. The bar and restaurant are also phenomenal.

Been to Spring House Hotel? Share your experiences!