“Excellent Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Block Island
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Fabulous Restaurant on Block Island. They have a great chef and the food is amazing!
Waldwick, New Jersey
“Excellent Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The service was great. The food was fantastic. I had catfish as my entree. My wife had the pork chop. Everything was well-prepared and the presentation was wonderful. Definitely eat here.

Visited September 2013

Andover, Massachusetts
“Winfield's certainly not best resturant on Block Island”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I ate at Winfield's Wed, Sept 4th and definitely did not find it a very good dining experience. The restaurant is small with such low ceilings, it's almost claustrophobic. It was not especially attractive and too many tables for the space, making conversation with someone who was only 18" away very difficult. It was so noisy, that everyone felt compelled to shout in order to be heard, making conversation almost impossible. And the room was too warm, even tho it was a cool night outside.
There was no beer on tap, only bottles and one in a can. My mixed drink was fine (lemon Drop Martini). My husband's pork chop was nice, but not extraordinary. I choose two appetizers for my meal. The Salad with tenderloin was tasty, tho there wasn't a choice in how my tenderloin would be cooked. I happen to like meat very rare, so the 'bordering on raw' meat was fine with me, but I can imagine many would have been unable to eat it. I also ordered the Lobster Mac and Cheese, as I had heard good reports about it. The best I can say about it was that it was really, really hot, even 15 minutes after it arrived. It did have lobster pieces and did have pasta, but no cheese that I could see or taste, just a greasy buttery look and taste. My best guess is that it was heated way too long, and perhaps at too high a temperature. A real disappointment!
On the positive side, the service was wonderful. Our water glasses were constantly being refilled, our waitress checked back on us a few times. I didn't return the mac and cheese, because by the time I was able to eat this very hot dish, I did not want to spend the extra time waiting for a replacement. We were anxious to leave the noise and warmth. This is pretty sad, as we are here for a relaxing vacation and want to have a leisurely, enjoyable meal with conversation. And it's nice to feel that it's been such a pleasant experience that we might want to linger for an after dinner drink. This had happened the previous night at the Mohegan Cafe (which, tho crowded, wasn't nearly as noisy). And Thursday night, we had a wonderful meal and dining experience at Harry's. I would not return to Winfield's and could not recommend it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went hear for dinner one night and really enjoyed it. The service was excellent and the food was perfect. I had swordfish and Winfield's gave a generous portion. My husband, who is a lobster connisseur, said his lobster mac and cheese was the best he ever had. I think it is the best or second best restaurant on Block Island. The restaurant is an older building, so if you are looking for something contemporary this is not your spot. The crowd is mature, which a few families.

Visited September 2013
Massachusetts
“Good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The swordfish was large, simply prepared, and delicious. The appetizers (bruschetta and crab bisque were too rich for me. Many choices. Good waitstaff.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“A Pleasant Island Surprise`”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you want a break from the typical seaside fare of fried 'fisherman's platter', crab cakes, fish & chips, and lobster rolls, Winfield's offers surprisingly well-prepared cuisine with nice presentation.

A little more upscale than the average Block Island restaurant, this eatery has a diverse menu, pleasant ambience, and wonderful service (Lisa is great). And the best part is that you can still show up in shorts and beach shoes!

We enjoyed the lobster mac & cheese appetizer (a lot... maybe too much), and the pate special was a very welcome - and unexpected - addition to an island menu. The crab bisque is a must, with subtle sherry overtones and a welcome amount of sweet crabmeat... We went rogue on two occasions, ordering non-seafood: their lamb and pork chop specials did not disapppoint. Meanwhile, their salmon and swordfish entrees are terrific.

Reservations are strongly recommended on the weekends, and they are very good about letting you know ahead of time if there will be a wait beyond your requested time. No outdoor seating, but you won't mind if you ar elooking for a special night out while on the island.

• Visited August 2013