“Very nice fine dining” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Block Island
Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Fabulous Restaurant on Block Island. They have a great chef and the food is amazing!
USA
“Very nice fine dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hubby is a fiend for mussels so if a restaurant doesn't offer them in the appetizers, it's almost a deal breaker. Winfield's mussels were some of the very best that we've ever had.

I had the filet mignon and hubby ordered the bourbon pork chop. Both meals were very good.

The staff was friendly and attentive. Probably the only downer about the restaurant was no view (I think only one table in the dining room is situated by a window).

Visited August 2013

95% Recommend
Hartford, Connecticut
“I can't believe I had steak on our last night on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

but it was great. Everything on the menu was great.
We started with the crab bisque with pesto. The delicate flavor of the bisque mixed with the pesto was exquisite.

After discussing it with our server, I decided to have the fillet mignon with a delicate cheese sauce. It was perfectly cooked, a remarkably tender cut of meat, and a terrific combination of flavors. My wife had the Grilled swordfish with a vinegrette sauce, and was also extremely happy with it.

Our server deserves special praise. I wish I knew her name, but the people at the table next to us were so loud that I could not catch it. Her advice on what to eat was spot on. She showed up when we wanted her without being obtrusive. Most remarkably, she managed to make you feel like she genuinely cared that we were enjoying our meal. I feel bad that I cannot mention her by name.

There is no view from this restaurant, but the quality of the food makes up for that. The place could benefit from a little sound absorption, though.

Northport, New York
“Best Lobster Mac 'N Cheese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

After many years of visiting Block, we decided to delve into some of the better restaurants off the beaten path- Here we had unparalleled entrees and the best Lobster Mac N Cheese on the island. Be sure to pan ahead as reservations are a must, although you may luck out and get one of the high tops in the bar.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“The focus is on the food here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Although this charming spot has no ocean view or heavy-on-seafood menu, the food is a few notches above most on the island and the service is totally professional (Lynn was our server!). I had hanger steak with watercress, mashed potatoes & chimchurri sauce - delightful and a perfectly sized portion. Good wine. Also a treat: roasted head of garlic in olive oil to dip warm bread chunks into! You won't find the beach-going hoards lining up at the door here; it's the place for those who want a more refined dining experience and for those who will enjoy the art on the walls. Don't be put off by the small windows and darkish atmosphere; you've probably gotten too much sun today already!

New York City, New York
“Best on Block Island by far”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Food and service here would stand out in New York or Boston. Only complaint: tables are close and the place is noisy. But everything else is fantastic

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere