“Good food and service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Block Island
Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Fabulous Restaurant on Block Island. They have a great chef and the food is amazing!
Hopewell, New York
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Had dinner at Winfields on 8/17/12. Had 8:00pm reservation, table was ready and waiting.
Our server was energetic and personable.
We started with the wonderful roasted garlic and crusty bread which is difficult to stop eating, it's so so good.
We had excellent salads and also tried the Lobster Mac and Cheese which was good but not what I would call over the top.
I had the duck salad and we also had the pork chop for our other entree. Both were well prepared and tasted great.
We shared the flourless chocolate cake for dessert.
This was an enjoyable meal, the only drawback to this establishment is that is is very noisy but that would not keep me from returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

95% Recommend
Cranston, Rhode Island, United States
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Although I've been visiting Block Island since childhood--I've never ventured into Winfield's. My husband and I walked over for dinner this past weekend. At first, I was a little put off--we didn't have a reservation, so we had to sit in the pub area (not too sure if it was the lack of the reservation or my husband's tee shirt & shorts attire), it was a little dark and dingy--but the fan supplied a nice breeze. The staff was super friendly and our dinners were INCREDIBLE! A 5 star rating for the food, all day long! I had a fabulous steak, asparagus and mashies...my husband had the fried chicken Sunday special (which was fantastic!), the atmosphere was a little too dark and depressing--however, if you're looking to escape the fabulous ocean views, this is perfect :)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Massachusetts
“Missed our ferry bit happy we did”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Came off the beach looking a bit scrungy and initially hesitant about eating at a fancy restaurant. But the hostess was inviting and offered a less formal option of eating in the bar area which was very lively. The swordfish was incredible. Simple, fresh, thick cut. Clearly caught that day. The beet salad had a light vinegrette and lemon dressing that was perfect for a hot summer night. My only complaint if possible to have one was that the portions were on the small side for the price and the capresse salad used cherry tomatoes versus vine ripened. Overall though an excellent meal compared with the island's other fried clam strips fare.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wallingford, Connecticut
“A GREAT dinner!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We try to get to Winfield's each year. I don't know why I said try, it should be a priority. Truly, one of the most consistent places for dinner on the island. I have had the beef each time and both times were superb. The bread with the roated garlic and fresh parm is delicious as well. When we were there over the fourth, my husband and I had the appetizer specials ( I had the hummus) and both were great, and my beef was succulent. We went back a few weeks later with friends and we all agree that Winfield's is EXCELLENT! The service was super and Paige, our waitress was great. Don't be scared off that it is next to Kittens! It is also air conditioned and this is a plus on Block where barely anything has A/C. Overall, the bill was reasonable considering we all had drinks and dessert. :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maplewood, NJ
“Good enough to go twice in one week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Last week we ate at Winfield’s and we were all universal in saying we had one of the best meals we’ve ever had. I’m not a Mac ‘n’ Cheese aficionado. But on a second visit in the same week, we ordered the Lobster Mac 'n' Cheese for everyone at the table to share. Truly great – and the pieces of lobster in it – wow! We all got a taste of the scallops – ordered both as an appetizer and entrée. Without a doubt, the scallops were the best thing we tasted on both evenings. I had the crab bisque – so good that my daughter ordered it on our second night. The lamb chops were excellent as was the sea bass special served on a bed of polenta. A side dish to an entrée included sweet potatoes with bits of bacon. I grew up on sweet potatoes and I thought, how good can sweet potatoes be? They can be THAT good. We'll never know how good the sashimi was - someone didn't share his appetizer!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere