“Missed our ferry bit happy we did” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Block Island
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Fabulous Restaurant on Block Island. They have a great chef and the food is amazing!
Massachusetts
“Missed our ferry bit happy we did”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Came off the beach looking a bit scrungy and initially hesitant about eating at a fancy restaurant. But the hostess was inviting and offered a less formal option of eating in the bar area which was very lively. The swordfish was incredible. Simple, fresh, thick cut. Clearly caught that day. The beet salad had a light vinegrette and lemon dressing that was perfect for a hot summer night. My only complaint if possible to have one was that the portions were on the small side for the price and the capresse salad used cherry tomatoes versus vine ripened. Overall though an excellent meal compared with the island's other fried clam strips fare.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wallingford, Connecticut
“A GREAT dinner!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We try to get to Winfield's each year. I don't know why I said try, it should be a priority. Truly, one of the most consistent places for dinner on the island. I have had the beef each time and both times were superb. The bread with the roated garlic and fresh parm is delicious as well. When we were there over the fourth, my husband and I had the appetizer specials ( I had the hummus) and both were great, and my beef was succulent. We went back a few weeks later with friends and we all agree that Winfield's is EXCELLENT! The service was super and Paige, our waitress was great. Don't be scared off that it is next to Kittens! It is also air conditioned and this is a plus on Block where barely anything has A/C. Overall, the bill was reasonable considering we all had drinks and dessert. :)

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maplewood, NJ
“Good enough to go twice in one week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Last week we ate at Winfield’s and we were all universal in saying we had one of the best meals we’ve ever had. I’m not a Mac ‘n’ Cheese aficionado. But on a second visit in the same week, we ordered the Lobster Mac 'n' Cheese for everyone at the table to share. Truly great – and the pieces of lobster in it – wow! We all got a taste of the scallops – ordered both as an appetizer and entrée. Without a doubt, the scallops were the best thing we tasted on both evenings. I had the crab bisque – so good that my daughter ordered it on our second night. The lamb chops were excellent as was the sea bass special served on a bed of polenta. A side dish to an entrée included sweet potatoes with bits of bacon. I grew up on sweet potatoes and I thought, how good can sweet potatoes be? They can be THAT good. We'll never know how good the sashimi was - someone didn't share his appetizer!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Interesting menu and really good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I can't claim to have seen it all on block island however my guess is that this the best place to have dinner on the island. Food really good at reasonable prices in a nice atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Haven, Connecticut
“Perfect meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We completely enjoyed our night at Winfield's. The food was great. The service was excellent. The food far surpasses the look of the building the restaurant is housed in. On Block Island you'd expect great food to have a great view of the sea and an outside deck to eat on. Winfield's has no oceanview and its dining room is inside. However, the food is the best we've found on the island. I completely enjoyed the quail appetizer and the fillet for the main course. My wife felt the same about the tenderloin and beet salad. The creme brulee and Winfield's coffee rounded out the evening nicely.