“Beautiful.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 21 attractions in Block Island
Type: Hiking Trails, Geologic Formations, Beaches
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Two-hundred-foot cliffs with great views of the Atlantic.
Connecticut
51 attraction reviews
“Beautiful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

This is such an amazing place to visit. Make sure you bring your camera! There are many places to get great photos of the Bluffs. The view of them is also good from the water if you have a boat.

philadelphia area
117 attraction reviews
“worth the effort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Conveniently within walking distance of the South Lighthouse, the Mohegan Bluffs has many steps (around 140) but none of them are steep with plenty of landings to catch your breath. After that, you have to negotiate a few boulders and rocks and then you have a magnificent view of the cliffs, the roaring surf and rock formations constructed by other tourists. Kids love it...the mild danger, the attraction of playing with rock building blocks.
I didn't see anyone who couldn't negotiate the steps with ease. My kids (4 and 7) raced each other to the top and my husband carried two backpacks and our 1 year old with ease. Even me, the pregnant one, did it without stopping. So anyone within slightly good shape should be good.
If you are biking from town...don't bring your kids or love biking. It's very steep from the ferry/town and even though it is a short trip, we nearly died. We are people who workout everyday, run 10 miles, not overweight and I had t walk my bike. It didn't help to have 2 kids in a trailer but I saw LOTS of other people who underestimated the trip!

Nutley, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
“Not to be missed...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My wife and I made our way on foot from Old Harbor. It's probably a 45 minute - 1 hour walk. Plenty of hills, so wear comfortable shoes. It's a nice/scenic walk though. You'll come to the Sourthern Lighthouse first. Great spot for pictures and sweeping views of the ocean. About 50 yards after the lighthouse is the entrance to the Payne Scenic Overlook. From here, you are about 8 or 10 flights of steps down to the shore. It's not difficult for someone is decent physical condition. It wasn't very crowded (though the weather wasn't the best on the day we were there). Once you are at the bottom of the steps... you have to climb down a rocky embankment to get to the beach (take the path to the left, it's easier). Great views and photo opportunties! Don't miss this!

Hartford, Connecticut
12 attraction reviews
“Stunning!! One of the best views I've...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stunning!! One of the best views I've ever seen.

Pawtucket, Rhode Island
10 attraction reviews
“Still beautiful, but beach now covered in rocks : (”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Let me start off by saying that the beach at Mohegan Bluffs is a favorite of mine. My husband and I discovered it a few years ago and have returned every year when we visit Block Island. We brings towels, food and drinks and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings and crashing waves.

However, we went yesterday and were saddened to find that almost the entire beach is now covered in rocks of all sizes. It's really unreal at how much it has changed. We were there exactly a year ago and there was plenty of soft sand - it felt almost as though you were in Laguna Beach or something. Now there are only a couple very small patches that aren't totally covered in rocks. It has also decreased the size of the beach considerably. It just has a totally different feel now.

The bluffs are still a great sight to see though. And it's great exercise. We usually walk there (about 4 miles roundtrip from the ferry), so between that and all those stairs, we get a great workout.

One cool thing is that people have actually started stacking rocks in all sorts of formations. It's a pretty cool thing to see.