“the good and bad of the yorktown” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   48 E. Market St., York, PA 17401   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 24 hotels in York
Steubenville, Ohio
“the good and bad of the yorktown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

i was disappointed with the cleanliness (or lack thereof) in our room. a bothersome amount of hair in the bathroom and on the duvet. the shower curtain also had some mold on it. the walls are thin, so the heavy doors are pretty loud when opened and closed (if you're a light sleeper). We watch TV before bed and were more than a little surprised by the huge standard definition TV--no sleek flat screens at the Yorktown (not hugely important to us though).

the location was great--close to town, I wasn't too concerned about safety. Valet parking is $8 a day plus tax. there was a restaurant and bar attached though we didn't stop in--other guests were in there and it looked nice. The downfall is that, from a distance, this hotel does SEEM to be nice--the closer you look; however, the more disappointment you find.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Alyson B, Thank you taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel.

We also want to Thank You for your support of The TripAdvisor review system. You rank as a
"Senior Reviewer" because you have done 7 different reviews in 7 cities. That's great ! What a wonderful time you must have had in Ireland.

We apologize for the cleanliness problems that you experienced in your Guest room. This is unacceptable and has been reviewed with our Housekeeping Team. Observations, like yours, gives us an important Training Tool and are used to emphasize the level of cleanliness that our Guests deserve and expect to see in our hotel rooms. A focus on a perfect bathroom is essential.

Your statement "The downfall is that, from a distance, this hotel does SEEM to be nice - the closer you look; however, the more disappointment you find." is a valid one.

Some of what you observed will be corrected by our new Owners, The Starwood Capital Group and the highly respected Management Company that they chose to operate the property. HHM, Hersha Hospitality Management has its Corporate Offices in Philadelphia and Harrisburg, PA. Both our new Owners and our new Management Company are successful and understand what is important to today's Hotel Guests.

They know that flat-screen televisions and a fresh light bedding package are expected in 2013.

However, they also know that way before the era of flat-screen televisions, a spotless bathroom was essential to the Guest Experience. The Yorktowne's Management Team has been given the needed tools and the challenge to achieve this spotless bathroom 100% of the time by HHM. We will not disappoint them or you, our Guest, because we will meet this challenge.

We look forward to combining our already excellent levels of Service & Warmth, a focus on the condition of our Guest Rooms & Baths, and the necessary investments from our new Owners.

We hope that you will send us your email address so that we can share our good news as enhancements are made to York's Grand Hotel. And if you are visiting the area, we hope that you will consider returning to our property. If you do give us the chance to show you our progress, please ask for me during your stay. I would like to personally Thank You for providing the candid feedback needed to coach our Team and improve our product.

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Covington, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

First off the bed was comfortable and room service great. The ice bucket however still has water in it with mold growing. After leaving and 20 miles later my son realized he left his laptop in the bed. We called and they said yes they had it and they locked it up. We asked if they would ship to us and charge our card the shipping and they said they would. They shipped my son's laptop in copy paper box that hold ten reams of copy paper with no packaging or bubble wrap and filled it half full of paper shreds and charged me $48 for the shipping and sent Fed Ex. You can imagine how many pieces it was. I called the manager and sent him pictures of the packaging and all he said was sorry. Basically I paid them to break my son's laptop. This had him in tears and there has been no letter of apology or refund of shipping or anything. Its time to see my lawyers now. This was October 8th 2012. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. They don't care about their customers or what they do to the. All the manager asked is if we were planning a trip back up there. Stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear razzm1959, I am terribly sorry about the poor choice of packaging that was used when our hotel staff shipped your son's laptop back to you. I am also sorry that I mis-interpreted what you wanted me to do after we made this mistake.

At the time, I promised to investigate and you told me that you believed my staff definitely needed specific instructions on how to better handle the shipping of valuable and fragile items.
You said that rather than having the hotel staff package an item, we should have UPS or another firm take total responsibility for the item and be sure it was packaged very well. Protective bubble wrap and a tight container that could take the abuse of the shipping process would be the responsible of UPS or another company. I believe your exact words were "Tell your Staff to leave it to The Pro's." I promised to coach our Staff and enforce those instructions so we could keep from disappointing a future Guest.

Yes I did want to do something to apologize to you and your son. That is why I asked if you would be in York again. My mistake was that I did not realize what you felt should be done to resolve the situation. I apologize.

When I realized that you believed there should be a monetary settlement and we discussed this, you were very gracious and patient as we worked through the details. I want to Thank You for how poilitely you treated me and how cooperative you were in coming to a resolution.

I was so pleased to know that your son would be getting a new computer for The Holidays.

In our final conversation, I sensed that you believed you had been treated fairly and that our hotel staff would "always leave packaging to the Pros."

If I am incorrect, please contact me. I want to be sure that we resolve our mistakes to the full satisfaction of Our Guests.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Its just too bad that this hotel wasnt nicer. It has such a nice location, history and just lacks overall upkeep. Our curtains were ripped and torn, Just needed some attention. The front desk was less as friendly as I am used to.

Clearwater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently spent three nights in the historic Yorktowne Hotel and was very happy with my room (8th floor, great view!) and can't say enough about the service, which was absolutely phenomenal. I arrived very late at night but the valet was right there, and the front desk clerk could not have been more friendly and helpful. I forgot to put up my "do not disturb" sign and housekeeping was extremely apologetic for disturbing me the first morning. My room was clean and quiet, the food in the restaurant was delicious - and the service there was terrific. The location, right in the center of town, can't be beat.

Negatives? The towels were a little thin, but there were plenty of them! The tv was older but I never even turned it on.

Room Tip: The 8th floor provides great views and a quiet night's sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Trenton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just returned from an overnight stay here where we attended the wedding of our nephew. Put us firmly in the camp of loving the Yorktowne.

We found the staff exceedingly courteous, friendly and accommodating.

The facilities were clean. The banquet was well organized, the food quite good and plentiful.

Yes, this is an old property and it is not in pristine condition. But we have seen newer, "brand name" hotels in much worse shape. Did we care that the TV in the room was an old-style CRT and not a flat screen? NO! We weren't staying there because of the TV's.

We highly recommend the Yorktowne. It is a welcoming property with that old-style charm.

St. Clair Shores
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place was awful! There was dirty, filthy carpets, walls and sinks. They never clean, dust or vacum the floors. The ceiling and walls were peeling. Rust on the towel holders and vents. I would never recommend this place;ever. They are in bankruptcy and have no money to keep the hotel up and running. It is located in downtown with building that are vacant and not safe during the nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Keikei l, Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor Review about our hotel.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with The Yorktowne. I have relayed your observations to our new Owners. The message that I want to share with you and all others who read this Review is that we are pleased to have new Owners. That Owner is the Starwood Capital Group of Greenwich, Connecticut. Now a $22 Billion Global Company, they understand the hotel industry and have the financial assets to restore York's Community Hotel.

Our Management Team and Staff are thrilled to have this kind of backing. Starwood believes that this Community Landmark can be a profitable element in their portfolio with the right investments and a first rate Management Company. The Management company chosen is a Pennsylania company, HHM, Hersha Hospitality Management Company of Harrisburg. HHM is providing the tools and systems to help us improve both the Guest Experience and the hotel's financial health.

In 1986, our Team created a Mission Statement - "Make York Proud of The Yorktowne." Till 2007, we were fortunate enough to have Owners who could help us fulfill that Mission. Now that this York Landmark is owned by the Starwood Capital Group, we are, once again, ready to move forward.

I hope that you are willing to send me your email address so that I can update you as we make progress. We have already started making improvements. With additions to both our Maintenance and Housekeeping Team, the items that you observed are being attacked.
As our Team sees the changes, we are getting excited and know that we will Make York Proud
of The Yorktowne in 2013. As you can see from other reviews, the level of Service and the Warmth of our Staff has never faltered. We love this beautiful old property and will have even more fun Serving our Guests as the physical product is restored. Many of our Guest Rooms
have already been improved and we definitely put our Guests into these rooms as we work to restore others. If you are visiting York again, I would be pleased to personally pick your room.

Elkton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here to attend a wedding. Lovely olde world hotel in the center of York.
Arrived around 1pm and our room was ready so we were able to check in early. Check in was quick and we were given the option of having one or two old fashioned keys for the room. .
Lobby of the hotel was lovely, very charming and plenty of comfortable seating. Our room was on the 2nd floor, king size bed. Room maintained the charm of the lobby, wall paper was peeling in a couple of places but nothing terrible. Bed was very comfortable, plenty of nice fluffy pillows.
Elevator seemed to take forever and the stairwell was not marked but that would be the only complaint I had.
Overall a lovely charming hotel and we would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Yorktowne Hotel? Share your experiences!