“Traditional hospitality in an historic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   48 E. Market St., York, PA 17401   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #12 of 24 hotels in York
Trenton, NJ
“Traditional hospitality in an historic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just returned from an overnight stay here where we attended the wedding of our nephew. Put us firmly in the camp of loving the Yorktowne.

We found the staff exceedingly courteous, friendly and accommodating.

The facilities were clean. The banquet was well organized, the food quite good and plentiful.

Yes, this is an old property and it is not in pristine condition. But we have seen newer, "brand name" hotels in much worse shape. Did we care that the TV in the room was an old-style CRT and not a flat screen? NO! We weren't staying there because of the TV's.

We highly recommend the Yorktowne. It is a welcoming property with that old-style charm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
St. Clair Shores
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place was awful! There was dirty, filthy carpets, walls and sinks. They never clean, dust or vacum the floors. The ceiling and walls were peeling. Rust on the towel holders and vents. I would never recommend this place;ever. They are in bankruptcy and have no money to keep the hotel up and running. It is located in downtown with building that are vacant and not safe during the nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Keikei l, Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor Review about our hotel.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with The Yorktowne. I have relayed your observations to our new Owners. The message that I want to share with you and all others who read this Review is that we are pleased to have new Owners. That Owner is the Starwood Capital Group of Greenwich, Connecticut. Now a $22 Billion Global Company, they understand the hotel industry and have the financial assets to restore York's Community Hotel.

Our Management Team and Staff are thrilled to have this kind of backing. Starwood believes that this Community Landmark can be a profitable element in their portfolio with the right investments and a first rate Management Company. The Management company chosen is a Pennsylania company, HHM, Hersha Hospitality Management Company of Harrisburg. HHM is providing the tools and systems to help us improve both the Guest Experience and the hotel's financial health.

In 1986, our Team created a Mission Statement - "Make York Proud of The Yorktowne." Till 2007, we were fortunate enough to have Owners who could help us fulfill that Mission. Now that this York Landmark is owned by the Starwood Capital Group, we are, once again, ready to move forward.

I hope that you are willing to send me your email address so that I can update you as we make progress. We have already started making improvements. With additions to both our Maintenance and Housekeeping Team, the items that you observed are being attacked.
As our Team sees the changes, we are getting excited and know that we will Make York Proud
of The Yorktowne in 2013. As you can see from other reviews, the level of Service and the Warmth of our Staff has never faltered. We love this beautiful old property and will have even more fun Serving our Guests as the physical product is restored. Many of our Guest Rooms
have already been improved and we definitely put our Guests into these rooms as we work to restore others. If you are visiting York again, I would be pleased to personally pick your room.

Sincerely, Rick Cunningham GM The Yorktowne Hotel r.cunningham@yorktowne.com
Elkton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here to attend a wedding. Lovely olde world hotel in the center of York.
Arrived around 1pm and our room was ready so we were able to check in early. Check in was quick and we were given the option of having one or two old fashioned keys for the room. .
Lobby of the hotel was lovely, very charming and plenty of comfortable seating. Our room was on the 2nd floor, king size bed. Room maintained the charm of the lobby, wall paper was peeling in a couple of places but nothing terrible. Bed was very comfortable, plenty of nice fluffy pillows.
Elevator seemed to take forever and the stairwell was not marked but that would be the only complaint I had.
Overall a lovely charming hotel and we would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 5 days with a group of 100 people for a conference there. The staff was EXCELLENT! They went above and beyond the call. The downside is that the hotel as a whole is rundown and out of date. My room didn't look like it had been updated in 20 years -- old TV, old phone, chair fabric worn to thread, dingy carpeting, and the curtains would not close. Corners of the room were dirty. The equipment in the business office is ancient. Parking is valet only ($8 a day). If you are a history buff, you might like it, but don't expect modern amenities, and don't have high cleanliness standards.

• Stayed September 2012
Mitchellville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Who says that hospitality can only be found in the South? Well, it can also be found at the Yorktowne Hotel!

We had the pleasure of staying in this historic facility this weekend while attending a conference. The hotel's charm and historic appeal is unmatchable. Our room was well appointed and clean (a BIG plus for me). The hotel staff was pleasant and extremely responsive -- our air conditioning unit died on Friday night. My husband called the front desk first thing Saturday morning, and the maintenance guy was there within 10 minutes. When we returned to the room later that day, the unit was fixed and the room was comfortably cool.

The Yorktowne was a pleasant change from other "top shelf" chain hotels. No hotel is perfect, but the Yorktowne offers a comfortable, clean, pleasant stay with a touch of old school charm. That's perfect enough for me.

I must say, I had some reservations about staying at the Yorktowne after reading some of the reviews on this post. I called the hotel on Friday morning to clarify some of the things I read. Shortly thereafter, the General Manager returned my call and talked extensively with me to alleviate my concerns. Way to go! What better customer service and hospitality can a patron hope for?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
York,Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We had the pleasure of dining in the Commonwealth Dining room last night. I would be remiss in not mentioning our less than pleasurable Easter Buffet from several months ago. Seems a new investment group had purchased the Hotel, which lead to some less than desirable service.

Fast forward to this review. The Commonwealth Room food and service can compare with some of the other finer high-end dining in York. And in some cases – the service is even better. We chose the Chefs Palate – this was a meal and wine pairing of the chef’s choice. Food and service were excellent and served at a nice leisure pace.

The three courses were nice presented and the waiter took the time to describe each dinner course and wine pairing.

Would recommend the Commonwealth room dining for a very good high-end dining in York. While not cheap – price for quality and service was very good. Seems to be an undiscovered gem for fine dining in York.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stay in the Yorktowne hotel for one night after Hersey Park with the kids. The hotel is nice with a lot of history. The staffs are friendly. The only thing is bed bugs. I have over 30 bites one night, mostly on my arm. Didn't sleep all night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Jess, We are very concerned for you and am sorry that we were not aware of your
experience. I did not receive a call from you after you left nor did anyone that I have checked with on our Staff learn of your problem. I'm hoping that you will call me on our toll free number, 1-800-233-9324 so that I can investigate.
Thank You, Rick Cunningham General Manager The Yorktowne Hotel

Been to The Yorktowne Hotel? Share your experiences!