“Sketchy!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 York North

You added Motel 6 York North to your Saves list
Motel 6 York North
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   125 Arsenal Road, York, PA 17404 (Formerly Red Roof Inn York)   |
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in York
North Charleston, South Carolina
“Sketchy!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at this Red Roof on two separate night at Easter 2013 due to its location. It is unusual, in that it is a high rise and not a two-level motor lodge like other Red Roofs.

I stay at Red Roofs and La Quintas a lot, due to having my small dog in tow.

The room was semi-renovated compared to other Red Roof locations. The room was clean but the TV was not updated. Internet was poor.

There was only one luggage cart and I had to wait to use it upon my late check in. The parking lot, in Winter, was filthy and full of trash and cigarette butts. The desk person during my evening check in followed me into the lot to watch over me, after telling me of violent crimes in the surrounding area.

The staff was friendly, but seemed more interested in talking to each other than the customers.

The location is walkable (right next door) to an efficient fast food restaurant and across the street from a pharmacy and a grocery store. It was not easy to cross the street, however. It is a large, busy busy intersection with many lanes.

My rating is based primarily on the fact that over a week after my stay, this location charged my credit card for over double the room rate for no reason at all and blamed it on "the system". It took days to restore my money. I have never had this happen in years of staying at Red Roof locations. I have switched to LaQuinta for now. I'm creeped out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have mixed feelings about the Red Roof Inn in York. The room was nice and clean. The WiFi was slow. The location was convenient.

My biggest gripe was really not something that the staff could help but it was what colored my visit. The hotel does allow dogs. This is the third Red Roof Inn I have stayed in during the last two months and the first one that had a barking dog for several hours. As I said, it was not the staff's fault, the owners left the dog in the room while they went out for a few hours in violation of the hotel's rules but it still affected the quality of my visit.

The other major irritation that I did have was that I had to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to get into the front desk. I am not sure if it was employees or patrons but the front porch had several smokers hanging out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My sister is very sick so I travel to York quite frequently. I have stayed at this hotel many times now and have been satisfied every time. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. They try to accommodate your needs and do it with a smile. As long as I have to make trips to York, I will be staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms on second floor have refrigerators. Helpful for milk, etc, to take medicine and keep insu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed at this motel for the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, and ended up booking it late because there were other issues that made my going uncertain. I was pleasantly surprised to find a room available for under $65 USD/night (government rate as I'm retired military). I got more than I was expecting for that price. The room itself was excellent.

There were a few quirks that some guests may need to be aware of. The location right at the cloverleaf connecting I-83 and US-30 made for a lot of quirky U-turns and jug-handles to get in and out of the parking lot, but it was nothing insurmountable.

The one elevator vibrated and shook whenever it stopped while going down, which can be disconcerting for a lot of people.

The motel offers free WiFi, but there are no computers available for guest use. I had to go to the public library about 2 miles away for internet access. As I pointed out to the hostess, a motel like that should be able to afford at least one inexpensive laptop that can be made available in the lobby for guests.

On the plus side, being at the cloverleaf was a good location with good diners, fast food places, convenience stores/gas station and pharmacies all within easy reach, the quirky traffic pattern notwithstanding.

If I ever need to stay in that area overnight again, this will be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Canyon Lake, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Upon checking in I saw the 4 star rated Trip Advisor logo and it is well deserved. Clean lobby, new looking, staff that knows what they are doing and great price for 2 beds for my wife daughter and I at about 60 bucks. New carpet in the halls, the place is clean and my room had new bathroom countertops. Beds okay. 5 stars because it is a great value for the price for a 2 star that beats many 3 star hotels I have stayed in.

Room Tip: We chose this place to stay when we were checking out Amish country in Lancaster about 30 minutes aw...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hotel is good for such a cheap rate. Good location. It's a bit noisy particularly on the first floor but I slept soundly. One complain I do have is the cleaning staff burst into my room to clean without knocking (before I checked out). Internet is intermittent. You'd think they would've knocked, fortunately I was dressed and on my computer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was in the area for the 150TH GAC Gettysburg. As being reenactors I am used to camping and conditions that arent reasonable. I was looking forward to taking a shower and sleeping in a bed after a long day. However, my stay wasnt very pleasant. Upon checking in my reservations had been cancelled because the hotel was sold out. I was able to get a room but it wasnt perfect. The person checking me in was unhelpful and unfriendly. There was a horrible smell in the third floor hallway when you got off the elevator. My room had a leaky a.c. that made the room smell terrible and made everything damp. The staff was unfriendly and lacked customer service. I love staying at Red Roof Inn's but not during this trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Motel 6 York North? Share your experiences!