“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 Loucks Road, York, PA 17404   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 24 hotels in York
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Did a weekend in AUG with other members of a youth soccer team. This, nor any other Holiday Inn for that matter, would not have been my first choice of hotels in the area, but we went with the flow and stayed where everyone else was staying. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, they had HD televisions, but there were subtle hints that the place was updated. Indoor and outdoor pool as well as hot tub. The indoor poor would have been pretty cool, if it were working (real bummer, the kids were excited when they heard about it and part of the reason the group decided to stay here), but the outside was an okay substitute. Hot tub was also not working. If you have a lot of stuff get a room on the first floor, there are NO ELEVATORS!!!!! Kids eat free for breakfast and dinner (not sure about lunch), that saved us some $$$. Breakfast was buffet and pretty good as far as buffets are concerned. Had dinner at the bar/restaurant one night. The chicken fingers were really good and the burger I had was okay as well. Drink prices were reasonable. Staff was courteous and attentive.

Not sure what went down with some of the other stays that slammed the place, but I did not have any issues other than the pool. Now, would I stay here again, probably not (absolutely not if the indoor pool is out of commission), but that has more to more to do with my loyalty programs with other hotel chains than any problems I had with this place. This is an average hotel that would have been a little more above average if the indoor pool worked.

Room Tip: No elevators, stay on the first floor if you have a lot of gear.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
dajohnson1, General Manager at Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30), responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Greetings Trip Advisor Guests,
Hey - thanks for taking the time to post your opinion about our hotel. We understand that many hotels look alike - like cookie cutter buildings with beds and tvs. But what I liked most about your post was your comments on our people. You see - thats where I think we make all the difference. No, we do not have an elevator, and yes, our pool is important to us and when something happens to it - we service it right away, but our people - from the desk, to our banquets, kitchen staff, servers, housekeeping, laundry, bar, maintenance, housepersons, etc and management all feel the same way - this hotel isnt the newest, but when you stay with us - you are our extended family - we want to make your time here comfortable and overcome any obstacle to a good stay. Im glad you shared your comments, espescially the ones about our people. Im quite proud of our staff and what they do and hope that shines through on every stay with every guest.

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
norf lundun
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We tried calling the front desk 3 times at different times of the day. They were curt and hung up on us twice and transferred us the 3rd time to central reservations the other time. The central reservations person said " oh no, not that one again."

We are so surprised they have not had their franchise taken away.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
dajohnson1, General Manager at Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30), responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Greetings Trip Advisor Guests! I apologize that there was a telephone connection issue. While I am unsure why a member of the Holiday Inn National Reservation team would say something like that, all our reservations are processed through them. I will be following up on your behalf to share my displeasure on that situation. Id like to talk to you further about why you feel that would require loss of a franchise considering it is the franchise you would have been speaking to. We pride ourselves on service at the property - I wish we had connected to be able to show you the difference between our hotel and anyone else. If you would contact me, i would appreciate it - Tripadvisor masks who you are so I am unable to contact you directly. I await your call or email. Best Wishes and Safe Travels, Dan Johnson General Manager Holiday Inn York
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights in August. The employees were very nice and helpful. The rooms that faced the outside of the building were OK...but old and dated. THe rooms that faced the inside and indoor pool smelled like chlorine. The inside pool was shut down and the exercise room was 110 degrees. It is a little overpriced for what is was, an older Holiday Inn near a run-down Mall, but it will do. They should either sell the property or put some money into it. Also no elevator makes it a pain if you have lots of stuff to drag up and down to your room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30), responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear DIsneyHell,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding our helpful staff.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the pool, and the hot fitness center. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Salisbury, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 week. My kids loved the pool. The room was clean, and the beds were comfortable. And they are dog friendly so we took our dog too. The only complaints I have are that out sheets were not changed on either bed for the whole week. And the TV has hardly any channels. I mean how much ABC Family, and TLC , and TNT can you watch! because thats all they have besides news channels and the local major networks. Thank Goodness for DVR @ Home! We would stay here again. Its convient to most shopping and Hershey Park. They also have no elevator but that didnt really bother me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Greetings Trip Advisor Guests,
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and thank you for staying with us. We were all pleased to read your post and made us smile. You see, we think service is the most important component of any hotel experience. We dont have some of the amenities other hotels have, true, but what we do have are the best staff, hands down. People who have been here for years, taking care of the family travelers, the conferences, the reunions, weddings, shows, awards banquets, sports teams and corporate guests for a long time. A majority of our guests are here so often, we know them by name, we know things about their families and which location in the building they prefer. You dont get that at most hotels, and I think that is something that makes us special.
Thanks so much for staying at our Holiday Inn - we really do appreciate it and hope you come back soon -
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Horrible service, rude staff. The advertised sauna has been padlocked & out of service for 5 years from what staff told us. Hot tub is broken. Pull out couch full of crumbs. Phone in room broken and not fixed after asking. "non-smoking" room smelled like a straight ashtray and they offered to spray it w air freshener! Then put an "ozone cleaner" in it because there were no other rooms that night. Next day they told me I would have a new room... It took 5 trips to front desk and until 1pm to get new room. I have asked to see manager three times w no success. Hands down the worst stay I have had, and I frequent Holiday Inns.
They did comp my room first night after I complained... The smoke smell was so bad it was barely tolerable.

• Stayed July 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30), responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Noeyg,

Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. I'm sorry you received unacceptable service from our staff and regret you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received. I have taken note of your comments regarding the conditions of the sauna and hot tub as well as the unusual smell in the rooms. These will be forwarded to the maintenance department to be addressed accordingly.

Your feedback are of great importance to us and allow us to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Washington, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My stay was on 7/2012 the hotel has no elevator so drag your bags up the stairs. the stairways are filthy and musty. hallways are worn with dirt and in need of paining. room was clean but bath towel had a hole in one and the other had a big stain in the middle. Getting ready for business meeting in morning - I found that the ironing board was broken and would not stand up so I had to lay it between the beds to iron with an iron that looked like it had been used to make panini sandwiches for 10 years. location is behind a dead mall parking lot was dark except for the sign saying not responsable to damage or stolen vehicles.

Room Tip: look some were else! or sleep in your car
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Greetings Trip Advisor Guests!
I was disappointed to read your stay with us was not up to your standard. Since we did not speak during your visit and I am hearing of this by reading your post here, online, Id like to respond to you but cannot since tripadvisor masks your identity and contact information. So - id like to still reach out to you - online - but welcome a chance to talk to you if you like.
Your primary concern with our hotel not having an elevator is understandable. We have been serving guests since 1981 and in the 31 years we've served just over 1,000,000 guests - all without one. Id like to have one too and Im sure housekeeping would agree :). Every corner of the building, however, does have a split foyer set of stairs - about 14 steps - with a landing, that takes you to our second floor. We do have staff on hand to assist with luggage as well - I hope you were offered assistance at check in. As I read further, I noted you felt our hallways needed painting. Id like to understand what you meant - but our halls are wallpapered and our carpet was replaced last year (summer 2011). Our location is near a mall that just had a Kohls and a Walmart built as anchors and also has a Macy's and other stores just added. That leaves me with your concern on the ironing board. Im gathering you didnt reach out to the staff to ask for a new one upon finding it had an issue. We certainly would have got another one for you right away. I hope you can find the time to contact me - Id like to offer an apology in person. If you find our hotel isnt up to your standard, I do hope you consider giving the brand continued opportunities - its a wonderful family of hotels and one we are proud to have been a part of for a long time.
Best Wishes & Safe Travels,
Holiday Inn York PA
Clayton, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My Dad and I checked in on a Friday night to attend a concert at Hershey Park. The staff was very friendly. Upon our arrival we switched from a non-smoking room (which I had booked) to a smoking room (which my Dad preferred). The only odd thing was the new room did not have any windows. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. This hotel has definitely changed the opinion I've had in the past about Holiday Inn Hotels for the better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30), responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Greetings Trip Advisor Guests!
THANKS! We love hearing from our guests and it made our day to hear you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations. Its true - we arent the newest hotel in york, but we have been here a long time, taking care of guests, and - the best part - exceeding expecations. just like we did for you and your dad! When it comes to service, I would be glad to stand up against any hotel in the area because our people are what makes us different. The room type you mentioned (without windows) is also a bit of our history that I'd like to share - when the hotel was built in 1981, the hotel's lounge was quite a night club. Our proximity to the fairgrounds also meant that performers there (bands, actors, etc) would stay here since we are so close. There were about 6 rooms built above and away from the area where the stage used to be and, to provide privacy for performers (bands, famous people coming to York, etc) the rooms were perfect for them. Now you know a little more about is and perhaps made the stay a little more special and unique.
Thanks again for sharing your positive feedback on our hotel. Next time you are in the area, please make sure you ask for me - Id like to say thanks in person.
Until next time,
Holiday Inn Conference Center - York PA

Been to Holiday Inn York (Route 74 & US 30)? Share your experiences!