“For the Price It's the best place in town!” 4 of 5 stars

Motel 6 York
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   323 Arsenal Rd, York, PA 17402   |
Ranked #16 of 24 hotels in York
Kissimmee, Florida
“For the Price It's the best place in town!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were back for the York fair and again chose to stay at Motel 6. For the money this is the best place I can find. Our stay was fine. They have improved the pillows this year. Much thicker and more comfortable. Coffee in the morning is always good and the desk people are friendly and helpful.

If you are looking for basic accommodations this will do you fine. If you want frills and extras...spend more money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Central Square, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The hotel is in need of remodeling. Our room on the ground floor had mold growing on the ceiling. The room smelled musty. When I complained the staff said they would put deodorizer in the room. I said how about cleaning ? The air conditioner didn't work in our room either. We were told that the maintainence people didn't work on the weekends. It was Friday ? We asked for a new room only to be told they were booked. After a bunch of complaining on our part they offered us $20 back. We called the motel 6 1-800 number and they credited us for one nights stay. I spoke with others at the motel and they said their rooms were okay but need repair. Some carpets were shredded and stained. I won't be going back unless they do some serious remodeling. There also was no internet. We were told when we made reservations that wi-fi was available for a fee. When we checked in the girl at the front desk said they don't have internet ? Really?

Room Tip: Ground floor, and ask to see room before you check accept it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Cresson, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

we were told by clerk that it was a safe area and nothing ever happened ther .when we awoke the next morning we found our motor cycles vandalized and items stolen.when police came to investigate we were told this happened the wk prior to our stay and also before that.is it not the motels job to make sure there vistor are safe.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times now and I am happy with it. It quiet, close to food, check in is plesant. Its certainly nothing special, just a room. No breakfast or anything. But over multiple stays the experience has always been consistent- and that means alot.

• Stayed August 2011
Irwin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I guess a few members of our group were the only ones to notice the sewage treatment plant just behind and to the left of the hotel. Behind the San Carlos Hop. We could not sit outside at night due to the smell, but keeping your door closed kept the smell out; however, we were satisified with the cost and the value for your money. The place is basic and shows its wear over the years, but the rooms were clean and staff friendly. A two night stay senior citizen rate cost us $96 total including taxes. This motel is also pet friendly, but we experienced no problems with bugs or odors. I would recommend this to others on a budget. I suspect the sewage treatment plant may be processing at night only. You only had the smell in the evening and overnight.

As a footnote, my wife and I had our son's wedding rehersal dinner at the San Carlos restaurant next door. What we found this time was a dining room that wasn't even open on a saturday evening at 7 p.m. The night club (or DJ) Hop side was open. Before we could order anything off the sandwich menu or drinks we have to either give them a credit card or pay cash! Service was horrible. Stay away.

• Stayed May 2010
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

I want to address the sewer smell up front: This place is located right next to the Codorus...a place known for it's awful sewer like smell mostly in the summer. Back in the 50s-70s a bunch of companies dumped chemicals into the river and the locals (and tourists!) are still suffering today. It's much better than it was in the early 90s, but you MAY notice a sewer like smell in the summer.

That being said, for the price of this place you can't really beat it. Not to mention that it used to be a Red Roof Inn. Red Roof tore down the old Motel 6 and built a new hotel and Motel 6 moved into Red Roof's old building. So the rooms are nicer than most Motel 6s. They're pretty big.

The bedding is cheap, standard Motel 6 bedding as are the pillows so if this is an issue, bring your own. I would not recommend staying here more than 3 days, you can scope better deals on Priceline for much better places but it is great for a one or two night venture.

The staff is hit and miss. Some of them are awesome, and some are just "meh".

Location is great, it's right next to 83 and on Route 30. Those are the 2 roads that will take you everywhere you need to be in York.

As far as things being boarded up and "scary"? There's an out of business Bob Evans that was boarded up so people wouldn't break in and throw parties and the area is a bit desolate (in terms of businesses) so if that scares you, stay away. Personally I prefer the boarded up Bob Evans to the atrocity that was there, but that's a whole nother review ;)

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

My oh my...I actually came to this exact website and read the reviews BEFORE staying at this motel 6. I had stayed there a few years ago and wanted to double check before staying again since this visit was going to be for an extended stay. If you have an elderly person staying with you, be sure to request a handicap accessible room as the bath tub in the standard room has a large step down to get out of them and its too easy for an elderly person to fall. Handicap accessible rooms have plenty of grab bars in the shower but only 1 bed per room. Both rooms were relatively clean with the exception of FLEAS! Oh yes...I did say fleas! Be sure to bring your bug spray and put Advantage on your pets if you bring them along as they will be leaving with a few extra passengers! When I reported the flea issue to the staff, the manager insisted that we move to another room. The new room seemed to be flea free, but we itched like mad after sleeping in that room and woke with a few bug bites. I would have been happier with the fleas! I made sure to launder all of my belongings prior to taking them into my home! The beds leave quite a bit to be desired. For a quickie one night stay they would probably be ok, but for an extended stay, you will have trouble getting a good nights rest. Not only are the mattresses very uncomfortable, but they have to be at least 20 years old and are leftovers from when this motel was a Red Roof Inn YEARS ago (don't look under the sheets!).

Having said all of that, the staff here is very polite and quick to try to resolve any issues that may arise. The Wi-fi works very well but is a bit costly if you are staying for more than 1 day. $2.99 per 24 hours adds up very quickly. The hotel has laundry facilities available as well as a snack vending room. Very close to everything in York with relatively easy access to I 83.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
ThomPollack, Manager at Motel 6 York, responded to this review, May 5, 2010
I am sorry that your trip here was less then enjoyable. You had mentioned several things that are of a great concern and I personally do not recall these issues. I know that your review had been written several months back but if you would like to contact us I would be glad to discuss your issue with you.

We provide clean and comforatable rooms and stand behind this.

Been to Motel 6 York? Share your experiences!